Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh so this place is a joy when tottenham are playing. Its absolute poison in here before kick off when the team is named let alone during a game if we are not 3 up within 10 min. I equate that to the poison on aftv. Maybe im not here long enough to get immune to it and not notice it.
Must be the fantasy im living in

I do not think this place is poison at all but if that is your view fair enough. That has nothing to do with your made up fantasy about me ripping a manager that we haven't even hired in the future.

The feeling in here is nothing like AFTV but you want try and equate it because of course nobody wants to be AFTV so you think it gives your BS point credibility when it doesn't at all.

It’s proof surely that we do have the players to win that game, and that the tactics cost us?!
Palace , No , we had plenty of chances where on another day we score if the keeper doesn’t pull a 10/10 performance . Wolves and Leicester i think we got it wrong, whether this is a case of tactics or players being fucked who knows , but we aren’t the only team dropping points which is surely a good thing and hopefully this is something Jose can easily fix

Palace , No , we had plenty of chances where on another day we score if the keeper doesn’t pull a 10/10 performance . Wolves and Leicester i think we got it wrong, whether this is a case of tactics or players being fucked who knows , but we aren’t the only team dropping points which is surely a good thing and hopefully this is something Jose can easily fix

If the manager was learning lessons he wouldn't have approached the Wolves game post 1-0 the way he did - it was a repeat of the period in which we sat back after scoring v Palace which cost us 2 points, the 2 games together account for 4 points we have surrendered due to the managers tactics. That is what the worry is that he's not learning from mistakes and it's costing us. Down to him at this point to correct it

I don’t agree. Whilst the keeper had a worldie, their goal felt inevitable once we decided to camp on our box and let the come at us. We didn’t need to do that.

Would agree on Leicester and Wolves though.....

It is entitely possible it wasn't a tactical decision and was down to the fact Palace were huffing and puffing as the game wore on because, contrary to popular belief, they're also a professional football team, who play in the same league as us and, just like us, need to play for points.

If you wish to watch a team that only needs to turn up to win, watch Juve, Real, PSG etc (yes, I'm aware this season isn't panning out that way)

The premier league is competetive. Did the Liverpool fans have a total fucking meltdown when Fulham and WBA showed up and dared to have a go?
To be honest I don’t give 2 shits about Liverpool and their fans, I’m talking about what I’m seeing on the pitch from my team. If they think Klopp got stuff wrong, I’d expect them to say so. It doesn’t mean there’s a witch hunt, it means they can be honest about his performance like they would a player.

It’s pure deflection. Again, what are you seeing so far from Jose tactically that you’re impressed with?

We had plenty of chances at 0-0 and 1-1, we had zero chances when the score was 1-0 because we sat back trying to nurse a 1-0 win.

Tactics definitely cost us that game because if we played like we did when the game was tied perhaps our increased chances go in even if the goalie is playing 10/10.

We had plenty of chances at 0-0 and 1-1, we had zero chances when the score was 1-0 because we sat back trying to nurse a 1-0 win.

Tactics definitely cost us that game because if we played like we did when the game was tied perhaps our increased chances go in even if the goalie is playing 10/10.
Ndomeble had one of our best chances all game in the 32' when the score was 1-0. His shot was saved but it was probably our best look besides Kane's header or maybe Ndombele's shot around the 17'.

We played more defensive but Palace was cutting through us for large parts of the game with Eze and Zaha. Our backline is not good enough to take those two on alone, if we come out to attack Dier or Alderweireld would be picked apart.

Ndomeble had one of our best chances all game in the 32' when the score was 1-0. His shot was saved but it was probably our best look besides Kane's header or maybe Ndombele's shot around the 17'.

We played more defensive but Palace was cutting through us for large parts of the game with Eze and Zaha. Our backline is not good enough to take those two on alone, if we come out to attack Dier or Alderweireld would be picked apart.

If our backline can't handle Eze and Zaha then we are fucked. Palace are 13th for a reason, the amount of people on here trying to act like they are some threatening offensive team that we can't go toe to toe with is laughable.

And the Ndombele chance was not nearly as good as the Dier Fk or some of our chances earlier in the game.

Trouble I see, is that we only seem to have three midfielders that can hold onto the ball. Those being P.E.H, Gio and Tanguy. Unfortunately only two are usually on the pitch at the same time, mostly ending up with just P.E.H, no surprise our attacking threat goes out the window. Until we no longer have to rely on the likes of Winks, Sissoko and Moura (all not good enough and as professional footballers seem unable to control a ball) , we will continue to struggle. Our squad is nowhere near the quality that some seem to think it is. Not major work needed but a couple of key components and we’ll be flying! C.O.Y.S!

We're 6 points off top of the league and people are acting like we're about to get relegated. Again, embarrassing.

Another unfortunate late goal which we should have won. Of course improvements need to be made but I'll take a point. Some people are desperate to see spurs and mourinho fail miserably.
And they’ll be disappointed because Levy ain’t fucking him off whatsoever. And he’ll win something for the club in the first time in yonks, which will boil even more Spurs fans piss.
Ironic ain’t it?

Our midfield is nothing special but the bigger problem in the last few games has been how unwilling our players have been to join the attack. When the ball moves forward we must get bodies towards the opponents box so we can string some passes together. So many times, especially in the second halves of matches, we will see Kane and Son miles away from each other up the pitch and no other team mates near them. Impossible to play football like that.

We played 5 defenders against Wolves which should give the midfielders more licence to get forward but Winks and Hojbjerg did not move up the pitch and help our forwards. Mourinho has to change that. Our defence is not so bad that we should be afraid to leave our half. Kane and Son are our crown jewels and if they aren't involved in the game and getting chances, then something is wrong. Whether it's Mourinho's tactics or the players not implementing those tactics, it has to change.

If our backline can't handle Eze and Zaha then we are fucked. Palace are 13th for a reason, the amount of people on here trying to act like they are some threatening offensive team that we can't go toe to toe with is laughable.

And the Ndombele chance was not nearly as good as the Dier Fk or some of our chances earlier in the game.
We are fucked with our backline, I'm not going to try defending our defense. I really think if we had better CB's we would not have to play so defensive. But Dier and Toby cannot defend in space so we are screwed if defensive midfielders are not protecting them.

A FK is not a great chance statistically. I get what you're saying but if you want to go by stats/facts, which I'm sure you're not an xG guy but Ndombele's chance was our best chance. A strong left-footed shot from 12 yards out is much more likely to go in than Dier's free-kick.

And Palace are not 13th because of their best-attacking players. They are 13th for having a terrible defense. They have scored 20 goals, only 1 less than City, 5 more than Wolves, and more than everyone below them. Their attack is nothing to scoff at but our defense is also terrible if not packed in.

Mourinho gave contracts to Alderweireld and Dier and signed Rodon, plays Aurier ahead of his RB signing and signed Regulion for LB - the defense is his, if there's issues with it then it's of his own doing, no?

Maybe he was too harsh on Sanchez after the West Ham game? A bit of speed in there might be just the ticket to allow us to play 10-15m further forward?

Concerning however that Skriniar appears to be the target for CB as supposedly he's as slow as anyone already here, which doesn't really scream that the manager wants the defense further forward and is looking to perfect the tactics already in place rather than alter them...

We are fucked with our backline, I'm not going to try defending our defense. I really think if we had better CB's we would not have to play so defensive. But Dier and Toby cannot defend in space so we are screwed if defensive midfielders are not protecting them.

A FK is not a great chance statistically. I get what you're saying but if you want to go by stats/facts, which I'm sure you're not an xG guy but Ndombele's chance was our best chance. A strong left-footed shot from 12 yards out is much more likely to go in than Dier's free-kick.

And Palace are not 13th because of their best-attacking players. They are 13th for having a terrible defense. They have scored 20 goals, only 1 less than City, 5 more than Wolves, and more than everyone below them. Their attack is nothing to scoff at but our defense is also terrible if not packed in.

Their attack is not more threatening that teams like City, United, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Villa, Everton and maybe Southampton. They are not a team that you need to be wary of their attack when playing them if you are a team like Spurs.

No I am not an XG guy because it so often does nothing to tell you about specific plays, it is an ok tool to give you a sense of the game but in terms of evaluating individual chances it is terrible.

Their attack is not more threatening that teams like City, United, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Villa, Everton and maybe Southampton. They are not a team that you need to be wary of their attack when playing them if you are a team like Spurs.

No I am not an XG guy because it so often does nothing to tell you about specific plays, it is an ok tool to give you a sense of the game but in terms of evaluating individual chances it is terrible.
I'm sorry but isn't xG all about giving more details on specific plays? I would say the opposite of what you said, I do not feel xG gives the whole story but if you're looking at just one or two moments then xG is a good tool. It gives you more details on how often that type of shot is scored.

I think the thing we both agree on is that our defense needs improvement. We are fucked when not defending in numbers as we have shown numerous times since Jose has taken over. I think Toby is too slow and Dier is way too slow. Sanchez is quick enough but he has no football IQ. Hopefully, Rodon and Tanganga can develop into starters but we are going to have to buy at least one CB before we improve at the back.

It wasn't Jose and it wasn't a miracle it was Son and Kane playing at an ungodly level that the PL hadn't ever seen before. Those two carried us through Jose's shit tactics and weak line-ups. Now that they have dropped off from their all-time PL great start Jose no longer can rely on them to save him and we start to drop down where we belong with Jose's negative shit football.
How can you say that it wasn’t Jose?
LOL 😂

It’s entirely possible that he could lose the dressing room before long. Dele has his buddies (Dier, for instance) and they must be starting to resent Jose on the way he is handling that situation. The calling out of players after the Wolves match won’t have helped things at all. And losing games due to the manager’s tactics will continue to stoke more of that resentment.
However, although I am starting to criticise Jose because I think his base strategy is wrong I am keeping faith with him. He is an intelligent man with a real gift for football management and I am hoping he will conquer his ego and see the real picture.
This man can win things and that is exactly what we need at Spurs right now.
I think Dier has to be careful as some of his distribution has been poor as has his marking

As much as I am pissed with Mourinhos stupid tactics recently, we all know you are smarter than this. His first season was already ruined by Poch before him and then Covid didnt help much either. This is his real first season.
Injuries like the one to Kane didn’t help either

I think Dier has to be careful as some of his distribution has been poor as has his marking
I do not remember Dier being this bad at passing when he was in midfield? Maybe he just did the safe pass every time passing it back so it was not as noticeable or I'm not remembering right but I could have sworn he was a decent passer as a CDM.

Back
Top Bottom