Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm responding to someone asking why Leeds can attack where we can't - how do you do that without explaining the managers differing approach???
“Biesla coaches his players how to attack, Mourinho lets the few players he allows to cross he half way line work it out themselves”
:mourfacepalm:

This squad wont achieve anything if we have to keep relying on the following;

Winks
Sissoko

As the driving/creative force in the team. They were both struggling to dominate opponents previously under Poch and our performances were very patchy. Never felt comfortable with them at any point. Yet here we are, still having to rely on them

Sanchez
Dier

To show focus and leadership. Dier may look better against the bigger teams when sitting back but hes really poor at bringing the ball out of defence, he's not good under pressure with the ball either. Therefore hes asked to look for longer passes. Whereas Sanchez, whilst quick, doesn't always read the game well and can't bring the ball out comfortably either.

Lucas

To make the difference in the final third. Can only really play well centrally and even then he just gets in Kane's way. His consistency is dreadful and bar the Ajax game, he hasnt really shown he can turn a game for us.

The others get a pass for now as theyve either done well or are new and need time.

Once Jose has got a completely new MF from when he took over and a CB pairing he completely trusts, I wont be making a call on him to be axed.
Add Toby. Great with the ball. Good at positioning. Especially in a very low defence. But too slow and can't jump.

The level of delusion here is off the charts.

To think we sat back and were outplayed for spells by Palace because we have inferior players really takes the biscuit for dog shit I’ve heard on this site over the last few days. It’s borderline embarrassing.

We aren’t Liverpool or City, there isn’t a fan here that thinks that’s the case, but we are MUCH better than this manager is showing us to be.

Indeed the one person who seems to think our players are capable of a system they aren’t is Jose. We do not have the personnel to “shut up shop” for 89 mins once we take a lead. Anyone that has taken a passing interest in this team over the last 3 years knows that, except Jose apparently.

I’ve posted this a few times now, but the objective assessment of Jose so far is that he has made us stronger defensively, managed the big games well, but failed outside of that.

He has yet to develop an attacking identity for this team other than swift counter, and his overly pragmatic tendencies have cost us points in games outside of the top 6. Forget possession, his tendency to cede territory is excruciating for me.

What is very apparent reading these last few pages is that the so called “Jose supporters” do the following:-

1) Never once offer up any tactical insight into what they see from Jose that impresses them.

2) Call everyone out as being bad fans for criticising the manager, whilst simultaneously abusing the squad and making out it’s a borderline championship team that no one can do better with.

It’s beyond a joke mate. The assertion seems to be that Jose will do well only with a perfect squad. What the fuck are we paying him £15m for?! If you’re backing Jose for a “long term project” you must have been sleeping during the Jose history lesson because that isn’t what he does.

I’m not a huge fan, but have praised him for games (Utd, City, Newcastle) and will continue to criticise him for his abject tactical performances like the one we saw against Wolves.

I have a real feeling he’ll deliver us a league cup this year, and I’ll be delighted for that. It still doesn’t stop the genuine concerns I and other posters have about what we are seeing tactically game to game that cause great concern.

I want him to succeed and I hope he analyses what he is doing wrong and rectifies it. But make no mistake, he is getting plenty wrong right now and there’s no shame in admitting it.

Where's the winner rating when you need it

The level of delusion here is off the charts.

To think we sat back and were outplayed for spells by Palace because we have inferior players really takes the biscuit for dog shit I’ve heard on this site over the last few days. It’s borderline embarrassing.

We aren’t Liverpool or City, there isn’t a fan here that thinks that’s the case, but we are MUCH better than this manager is showing us to be.

Indeed the one person who seems to think our players are capable of a system they aren’t is Jose. We do not have the personnel to “shut up shop” for 89 mins once we take a lead. Anyone that has taken a passing interest in this team over the last 3 years knows that, except Jose apparently.

I’ve posted this a few times now, but the objective assessment of Jose so far is that he has made us stronger defensively, managed the big games well, but failed outside of that.

He has yet to develop an attacking identity for this team other than swift counter, and his overly pragmatic tendencies have cost us points in games outside of the top 6. Forget possession, his tendency to cede territory is excruciating for me.

What is very apparent reading these last few pages is that the so called “Jose supporters” do the following:-

1) Never once offer up any tactical insight into what they see from Jose that impresses them.

2) Call everyone out as being bad fans for criticising the manager, whilst simultaneously abusing the squad and making out it’s a borderline championship team that no one can do better with.

It’s beyond a joke mate. The assertion seems to be that Jose will do well only with a perfect squad. What the fuck are we paying him £15m for?! If you’re backing Jose for a “long term project” you must have been sleeping during the Jose history lesson because that isn’t what he does.

I’m not a huge fan, but have praised him for games (Utd, City, Newcastle) and will continue to criticise him for his abject tactical performances like the one we saw against Wolves.

I have a real feeling he’ll deliver us a league cup this year, and I’ll be delighted for that. It still doesn’t stop the genuine concerns I and other posters have about what we are seeing tactically game to game that cause great concern.

I want him to succeed and I hope he analyses what he is doing wrong and rectifies it. But make no mistake, he is getting plenty wrong right now and there’s no shame in admitting it.

Our squad on paper is probably the 2/3 best in the league. I have criticised Levy in the past particularly during Redknapp and Poch’s tenure for leaving holes and not addressing issues but hard to rib him for the last window, probably the best since he has run the club.

I mean we have Carlos, Kane, Son, Lucas, Bergwijn, Bale fighting for 3 attacking spots. Only areas we might look at are CB and maybe an extra DM. Most managers would kill for squad depth like we have now. After Levy’s window I thought this is proper backing, Mourinho has no excuse not to deliver minimum top 4 and arguably some form of title challenge.

We have scored 26 goals in the PL not out of line with the teams around us. A lot of those were earlier in the season when we were playing differently. I cannot see why we cannot get back to that but those out are all attacking players in Bale, Lo Celso, Vinny and Moura which reduces his options.

Rashford scores for Manure in the 94th min against Wolves. Are our players just old, crippled and unfit where by the 80th minute they look completely knackered?

I'm sorry I just don't see us getting far this season or next. Not unless something dramatically changes as far as our tactics.

You can be both, why because you are a Spurs fan. Your comments revolve around the Club.

This lad isn't a Spurs fan, he's a Jose fan. They are everywhere, they aren't Spurs. I find it really weird of someone to "support" no club but support a manager.

Weirdo or no, they are here, not uniting a fanbase but dividing it, acting as Jose's security dogs set upon a Spurs fans who dare say anything against their God. Nothing positive about Spurs, they don't give a fuck about Spurs, they are here for Jose.

They can fuck off!

Do you and let others do them. I think you will find a lot of people that are pro Jose are actually being very pro Spurs because they know that if Mourinho is successful then it would be Spurs that take the glory NOT Jose.

It's not the results - it's the method

surely you can see that?
Bollocks it is. I’ll ask you one question about this and the mental gymnastics will resume.

Can you post Spurs possession stats for the last 10 games please? I think you might be amazed at our efforts. Fatigue is a major issue this term, as all the clubs are struggling to maintain form. We are struggling with a few injuries to key personnel too frequently at the wrongest times, hence the need to wrap Tanguy in cotton wool as he’s clearly our only hope of playing any footy currently. Lamela does a job whenever he is on but same issue as above. So what do you do?

95% of you on here love Poch and fair play to you. But you also hate Jose with so much anger that you will only ever be disappointed no matter what his team does.

We had plenty of chances at 0-0 and 1-1, we had zero chances when the score was 1-0 because we sat back trying to nurse a 1-0 win.

Tactics definitely cost us that game because if we played like we did when the game was tied perhaps our increased chances go in even if the goalie is playing 10/10.

Go on the OS and look at the livetext for Palace

Just a quick glance
Goal Kane 23m
Direct free kick 27m
Direct free kick 29m
Saved Bergwijn / Ndombele double - corner x 3 33m
Palace up the tempo to half time
Lots of broken up plays early 2nd half both ways
Chance 65m Hoijberg
Chance 72m GLC cross to Dier
Palace goal 81m

So no, we didn't shut up shop at 1-0 we had plenty of documented chances to increase the score.

Mourinho gave contracts to Alderweireld and Dier and signed Rodon, plays Aurier ahead of his RB signing and signed Regulion for LB - the defense is his, if there's issues with it then it's of his own doing, no?

Maybe he was too harsh on Sanchez after the West Ham game? A bit of speed in there might be just the ticket to allow us to play 10-15m further forward?

Concerning however that Skriniar appears to be the target for CB as supposedly he's as slow as anyone already here, which doesn't really scream that the manager wants the defense further forward and is looking to perfect the tactics already in place rather than alter them...

Yes. And no.
Aurrier, Alderwiereld and Dire were already at the club.
I suspect Doherty was an oportunistic signing, as was Reguilon. Tbh, the latter has been a decent signing IMO. The former a bit disappointing but may just need to be bedded in. Also used to a different set up to what we're playing. Believe Wolves played 3 CB's with wingbacks, of which Dogerty was one.
This is only a guess, but I suspect Mourinho told Levy he would work with what he had as best he could and if that doesn't work, then he'd need to recruit.

I suspect Levy was conscious of losing assets on a free. Our policy is always going to be to sign them up or sell them on, and not allow them to go on a free, to a rival. Dier, Alderwiereld and Winks are all worth a few quid even if they're not the best. (Bit unfair as a slightly younger Toby was, IMO, the best CB in the league)

Bollocks it is. I’ll ask you one question about this and the mental gymnastics will resume.

Can you post Spurs possession stats for the last 10 games please? I think you might be amazed at our efforts. Fatigue is a major issue this term, as all the clubs are struggling to maintain form. We are struggling with a few injuries to key personnel too frequently at the wrongest times, hence the need to wrap Tanguy in cotton wool as he’s clearly our only hope of playing any footy currently. Lamela does a job whenever he is on but same issue as above. So what do you do?

95% of you on here love Poch and fair play to you. But you also hate Jose with so much anger that you will only ever be disappointed no matter what his team does.
I'm an adult, I don't hate JM at all.
The style of play the team adopts under his management is the problem that I'm at odds with.
It might be mental gymnastics for you, but for a large amount of posters on here it's a simple case of being tired of watching this defensive, hit them on the break system, that is so ingrained that we tried it after going one up in the first minute against Wolves.
When we finally conceded to palace we went back to attack mode, and got a dose of our own medicine, but proved that we didn't need to sit back against a pedestrian side like them - who promptly shipped 7 goals to Liverpool, to prove the point.

In fairness to JM the current squad quality isnt great. Our MF isnt as creative as it needs to be, as GLC lacks the presence to dominate games and we seem unable to retain possession against top sides.
Add in Auriers suicidal tendencies (we should play Sissoko at RB because he contributes nothing going forward) if we can identify a replacement for Toby before his legs go completely (JT looks promising) maybe with a strong right sided AM we could stop the slide. At the moment we seem to be unravelling and it will be a test of JMs experience to hold it together.

Go on the OS and look at the livetext for Palace

Just a quick glance
Goal Kane 23m
Direct free kick 27m
Direct free kick 29m
Saved Bergwijn / Ndombele double - corner x 3 33m
Palace up the tempo to half time
Lots of broken up plays early 2nd half both ways
Chance 65m Hoijberg
Chance 72m GLC cross to Dier
Palace goal 81m

So no, we didn't shut up shop at 1-0 we had plenty of documented chances to increase the score.
Kind of ignores the fact that it was one way traffic apart from those incidents up to their goal though. Only a moron who had never watched football before would have been surprised when we conceded

Do you and let others do them. I think you will find a lot of people that are pro Jose are actually being very pro Spurs because they know that if Mourinho is successful then it would be Spurs that take the glory NOT Jose.
I'm NOT talking about Spurs fans, I'm talking about Jose fans. They are absolutely everywhere, just as that Tweet confirms. They couldn't give two fucks about Spurs but if you say anything negative about their god they pile on like some cultist tribe.

If you're a Spurs supporter your opinion, be they negative or positive, is rooted with the view that you want what you feel is good for the Club.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom