Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be honest, if Jose wants to sell or not play our young players that have developed at the club (KWP, Winks, Skipp, Alli, Tanganga) and replace them with expensive 'top players' - its not Tottenham Hotspur that win those trophies; its Jose Mourinho inc... It could have been any club.

The squad rules mean its impossible to do that anyway - unless you are okay doing it with a PL squad of c. 20 players

Statistically, I reckon from 0 to 70 mins we have by far and way the best

and from 70 onwards probably one of the worst
Possibly. Maybe showing a lack of fitness? Or as was said before, just the pressure building too much without an outlet?

Whichever reason it is, the overall tightness of our defence is a good sign, as all great teams are built from the back.

I have to say Im fairly disappointed by this season so far. I dont see any of this winning mentality that people talked about at the start of the season. They say Jose brings trophies. But so far all I have seen is that he goes for every cup game with the strongest 11 we have. He experimented in the start with a second team, but every time we ended up with Kane/Son &CO even agains farmer teams. Poch lost cup games because we could clearly see that he was not prioritizing them. I remember us playing cup games with academy players. Jose just blasts each game with the best team he has until the team runs out of steam. Overall the season management feels like a 'throw shit at the wall until something sticks' kinda show.
This team has no 'winning' mentality. We shit the bed vs relegation fodder. We fail to control games and clearly lack confidence in doing it for long periods.
I dont see no spark or mastermind tactics.
Our performances can be boiled down to a match highlight that I watch the end of the game. I used to watch out games and I knew that we had the fitness to grind out results and win games late. We had entire seasons where 2-1 was the spurs score. Last minute winners. Now at the 60th minute I know exactly what we are going to do till the end of the game. The same thing, even if in meantime they score and we are losing points.

My friends that are as objective as the can be (they dont support PL teams) say that Spurs are starting to play the shit football that Manure and Chavs played in their last shit seasons. The only thing going for us is Kane/Son that are overperforming and dragging this team along.

I think we are doing ok this season all things considered but some of Jose's decisions are quite frankly baffling and quite simply do not like certain things he does.

He has stated numerous times that the teams second half capitulations are not to do with his instructions but due to the players but this cannot be true imo. I definitely do not think he is actively instructing them "ok lads let's just sit back and invite pressure" but we have seen from the documentary he emphasises defending and individual mistakes a lot.

If you're listening to a team talk where you're winning and the manager is concentrating on the need to focus on defending and not making mistakes and to keep it tight as opposed to directing stuff at the attack about the vital need to continue to attack then of course thats what the players will be primarily thinking. If you're telling Aurier "ok Serge make sure no silly free kicks and stay tight on their wide player" as opposed to "serge continue attacking and putting the crosses in at every opportunity" of course Aurier will be focusing on just sitting back and trying to play safe.

Going by the evidence Jose is not proactive enough in his subs unless its europa league games with the B team. He just watches us getting hammered and does nothing until its too late. In the Europa league he's ruthless against players like Vinicius, Dele, Bale but in the league he is happy to just let the other team come into it in the hope Kane or Son can provide a counter attack goal. I don't like that tactic...its works sometimes but the over reliance on it is odd to say the least.

He can blame the players all he wants and of course they are partly responsible but he is more responsible imo. Let this sink in....against Wolves we played 3 at the back and Mourinho chose to have another 3 cbs on the bench.

I think we are doing ok this season all things considered but some of Jose's decisions are quite frankly baffling and quite simply do not like certain things he does.

He has stated numerous times that the teams second half capitulations are not to do with his instructions but due to the players but this cannot be true imo. I definitely do not think he is actively instructing them "ok lads let's just sit back and invite pressure" but we have seen from the documentary he emphasises defending and individual mistakes a lot.

If you're listening to a team talk where you're winning and the manager is concentrating on the need to focus on defending and not making mistakes and to keep it tight as opposed to directing stuff at the attack about the vital need to continue to attack then of course thats what the players will be primarily thinking. If you're telling Aurier "ok Serge make sure no silly free kicks and stay tight on their wide player" as opposed to "serge continue attacking and putting the crosses in at every opportunity" of course Aurier will be focusing on just sitting back and trying to play safe.
So true, Jose says that he encourages the team to attack and his instructions are not to sit back and defend deep. However it is bloody obvious that is not the feeling among the players. If I were to take a guess, it's Jose's distain for individual errors that has the team shitting themselves, they saw what happened to Dele when he tried a flick that didn't come off. Who would want to be the player that made a surging run in to space only to be vilified for being out of position when we lost the ball? Would a full back want to make the overlapping run if it meant an opposition winger would get in behind you and create something and you have to endure the wrath of Mourinho after the game? And its not like Jose is a forgive-and-forget kinda guy, so as a player do you take the ball forward, push up the pitch and risk getting transfer listed for your mistake, or just lump it up to Kane and say "fuck it, I did my bit."?

Beat City and it’s all down to him , it’s a Jose masterclass . Fail to win playing the same tactics against weaker teams and It’s not his fault. Sorry but you cannot have it both ways,
Even though everyone likes beating the big teams, and Jose's tactics for the games are almost always spot on, they only make up 20% of the schedule.

The fact that he doesn't seem to have a plan for the other 80% of our schedule outside of "we have better players" is a problem.

Beat City and it’s all down to him , it’s a Jose masterclass . Fail to win playing the same tactics against weaker teams and It’s not his fault. Sorry but you cannot have it both ways,

But there's a difference.

Playing like that against City is fine... They are a team that like to dominate possession and slice through your defence to score goals. By being deep, playing a low block and aiming to play on the counter and jump on any mistakes, you increase your chances of getting a result if done successfully - as we proved. If we had played open against them, we most likely would have lost.

Playing the same tactics against shitter teams than us who WE should be dominating IS his fault, is it not?

I believe the general gist of your post is that if we were winning with these tactics, no one would care. But we aren't winning. We've won 1 game in 6 in the league.

Since the City game, we've won TWO league games.

That game was 2 months ago. Which means we've won 2 games in our last 8 league games and gained 10 points from a possible 24.

Over that same period:

Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Everton, Southampton, Aston Villa, West Ham, Woolwich, Leeds and Burnley have all either got the same amount of points or MORE points than us.

Over half the Premier League.

Which makes us bang average over the last 2 months.

We're better then that, are we not?

Last edited:
Our goal scoring figures are somewhat skewed by 6 at Old Trafford and 5 at Southampton. In 10 of our 17 league games, we’ve scored 1 goal or less. We’ve conceded in 11 of 17 league games. That equates to a lot of 1-1 draws which is exactly what’s transpired.
To your point, removing those 2 matches entirely, that's 19 GF and 13 GA in 15 matches. That's a 48 goals a season pace. The last time we scored fewer than that was 2008/09, when we scored 45 and finished 8th. 2004/05 we scored 47 and finished 11th, when Jose won his first Premier League title.

Goal production is a huge concern.

Well you can because you’re not meant to apply the same tactics to every opponent

you don’t go into a Man City game with the same tactical approach as you do marine

I'll go even further if Brendan Rodgers had our squad we would be launching a convincing title charge. As did Poch twice untill he ran out of steam hobbled by lack of investment. Anything less than top 4 will be a failure.

Brenton?

Not a chance, but if we had even just a mediocre coach with an attacking mindset I think we would be launching a convincing title charge.

Brenton would have us near the top and fail miserably at the end like he always does.

Really don't believe Jose at all when he says he tells the team to attack when 1 up.

My United m8s said the exact same shit used to happen with them, score, sit back and invite pressure, concede and then desperately try to go for it (& fail).

If we give Jose the benefit of the doubt then it's even worse as that means the players are ignoring him and he commands no respect. Where I'm from that's called losing the dressing room lol.

I will give Jose one thing though- £15m a year to bus park and rely on brilliance from a few players. He Levy'd Levy lmao.

Do wonder what a good manager could do with this squad. There's this fella at PSG who hit the ground running and won a trophy immediately during a pandemic (whereas Jose got us knocked out of every fucking cup last year like a failure). Now that's a winner. And it happened less than a week ago in this modern football age so is more relevant than say a dinosaurs achievement 15 years ago.

Harry Winks apparently
To be fair, he is a problem at times.

I think our defence has looked really strong. Take away a stupid free kick against Newcastle and a Lanzini worldie and we look even better, just because of two goals. Our front two look great too, just want Kane to be less of a central midfielder.

Pretty sure Jose is also happy with the defence now and is presently trying to work on the midfield. Not easy when we can’t really spend time training properly.

Back
Top Bottom