Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At the end of the day, our players are in this like everyone, but it does certainly give the players that little bit of extra recovery time.

Unchartered territory that it is, we will probably benefit (with the break) more than most teams in the EPL as of today.

Last edited:
Everyone knew Mourinho was a bad idea, his brilliance faded out at real Madrid. He has not been the same since ... only levy is arrogant enough to think he was the right man to replace poch, who i still believe got shafted with the under investment in the squad ...why do people still trust levy to make football decisions he clearly has no clue, and totally got lucky with poch. Then shafted him and sacked him, we need people in charge who know football like man city have begerestein.....

Better question is, was it a panic buy on our part or was something in the works before hand, as I've heard suggested before. I'd also heard Levy had an admiration of Mourinho, even before we signed him.

I think he was a part of a bigger plan for ENIC

New Stadium, Best in the world. European finalists. Solid squad. One of the most decorated managers of the modern era. And the Amazon Prime documentary? An advertisement for a up and coming club.
ENIC were getting ready to sell I bet, and if we weren't having a shit season and in the title running, like Mourinho was supposed to do in theory, then we would be worth a pretty penny to someone. Would Levy and Lewis really say no to close to a billion? Probably not.

If something is accurate/correct (ie it jibes with the evidence/observations) then surely it is persuasive, no? And to what situational specifics are you referring? Pre or post injuries to Kane and Sonny?

I see they have written a response to me as well but I was not interested in their opinion/response. I can work things out for myself on the matters they were addressing (from my cursory glance) in their post. I was specifically interested in a more detailed response from the person that wrote this:

I was interested in why you felt it was 'lazy' (you've now expounded ie slow day) and why it was 'dull' and what the 'cliches' are (not further addressed but what's dull and cliched to one is not the same to all). The post and opinion of fruityloopie , irrespective of how 'sterling' it may be, was of little interest to me because it doesn't address my question which was why you felt that way.

OK, I'll bite. It's more or less a copy and paste job of JW's older articles on JM, but with Spurs replacing Chelsea/Man Utd. But all the jobs were/are different, so different assessment is needed. As for being unpersuasive, JM might not be the right fit for us - agree with JW there - but I didn't come to those conclusions as a result of his article, I made up my mind independently. No more comment needed, frankly.

I'm still supporting Jose, but the lack of any improvement on the pitch has been staggering.

Without Kane/Son/Sissoko, if you look at our squad it's about Everton level. So ask yourself, if Jose took over Everton five months ago, would we start seeing improvements in their football? Yes, probably. We've seen no improvement whatsoever, and that has been really disappointing.

Richarlison gets picked for Brazil ahead of Lucas, they actually have a striker in Calvert-Lewin and we don’t. We also lost Eriksen in January to really hit the lack of attacking quality we have hard. No Son, Kane & Eriksen and an out of form Dele.......I wonder how the great Poch teams of years gone by would have coped without those four on song on on the pitch? Not to mention our rancid form under Poch since losing Dembele. Peopl comparing that team and this one as a benchmark for what Jose has done simply isn’t fair.

We went a year nearly without a win away from home, before Sonny got injured we were joint 2nd in the form league from when Mourinho got hired. Honestly Howe isn’t that not improvement beforehand the guts were ripped out of us injury wise?

Last edited:
Exactly. Do you think Chris Wilder goes into the Sheffield United dressing room before their matches to tell them, that they're all League 1/Championship players and the opposition subs could get into this team etc... ect...? yeah I don't either. Jose out!

The thing you don’t grasp is there’s instilling confidence in players and there’s managing their expectations based on reality so that his words don’t lose substance.

We lost Kane, Son, Sissoko & Eriksen pretty much in the same 30 day period. It was inevitable we would struggle so why tell them players that’s they are invincible when the reality is without that quality available we would probably go onto lose more than we win? In the future when Mourinho tells them he believes in them, an element of truth will be felt when he says so as he hasn’t blown smoke unnecessarily up their arses.

Taking pressure off of them when they go into most games as longshots (own goals has been our 3rd highest source of goals during the no Kane & Son era) just ensures the players know that when we lose it isn’t because of their shortcomings but that of the depth to which they can cope. Seems smart to me yet some see it as sulky Jose, most of who have nowhere near as much experience and success as he does as a manager of people and players.

The thing you don’t grasp is there’s instilling confidence in players and there’s managing their expectations based on reality so that his words don’t lose substance.

We lost Kane, Son, Sissoko & Eriksen pretty much in the same 30 day period. It was inevitable we would struggle so why tell them players that’s they are invincible when the reality is without that quality available we would probably go onto lose more than we win? In the future when Mourinho tells them he believes in them, an element of truth will be felt when he says so as he hasn’t blown smoke unnecessarily up their arses.

Taking pressure off of them when they go into most games as longshots (own goals has been our 3rd highest source of goals during the no Kane & Son era) just ensures the players know that when we lose it isn’t because of their shortcomings but that of the depth to which they can cope. Seems smart to me yet some see it as sulky Jose, most of who have nowhere near as much experience and success as he does as a manager of people and players.

But isn't this the lame kind of territory for managers who don't have any kind of tactical routine or clear playing ethos.

I get that missing good players will always be an issue, period, but when you have a defined system or a clear tactical system - you can still be confident in this "good methods" enough not to whimper every five minutes about missing players.

Losing your two most prolific strikers doesn't mean you can't be defensively sound, or improve defensively.

Mourinho's constant whining is just setting a mind set "we are a one or two man team". If he keeps telling everyone we cannot possibly beat both Burnley and RBL what kind of mentality are the players going out there with?

I mean if we were a lower league club playing Barca it would be different. But we have the personnel to compete with fucking Burnley FFS - at least in a tactical sense if fuck all else - with or without Kane/Son but we made Burnley look like fucking ManC - they were all over us, better with and without the ball (why do we need our super stars to be good without the ball?) they didn't have a Kane or a Son (or an Eriksen).

And RBL's team was assembled for about the tenth of ours. They only have one real great forward - Werner - but the rest of their bargain "non world class" footballers played our - much more expensively assembled - team off the fucking park.

But isn't this the lame kind of territory for managers who don't have any kind of tactical routine or clear playing ethos.

I get that missing good players will always be an issue, period, but when you have a defined system or a clear tactical system - you can still be confident in this "good methods" enough not to whimper every five minutes about missing players.

Losing your two most prolific strikers doesn't mean you can't be defensively sound, or improve defensively.

Mourinho's constant whining is just setting a mind set "we are a one or two man team". If he keeps telling everyone we cannot possibly beat both Burnley and RBL what kind of mentality are the players going out there with?

I mean if we were a lower league club playing Barca it would be different. But we have the personnel to compete with fucking Burnley FFS - at least in a tactical sense if fuck all else - with or without Kane/Son but we made Burnley look like fucking ManC - they were all over us, better with and without the ball (why do we need our super stars to be good without the ball?) they didn't have a Kane or a Son (or an Eriksen).

And RBL's team was assembled for about the tenth of ours. They only have one real great forward - Werner - but the rest of their bargain "non world class" footballers played our - much more expensively assembled - team off the fucking park.

Agreed that it doesn’t excuse us not being defensively sound but we need to ask if that’s down to the manager or the quality he has at his disposal? I can’t remember where I saw it but there was a post about not keeping a single clean sheet away from home after Dembele left or something like that. Simply put I ain’t overly impressed with us since Mourinho took over but we were doing a damn sight better results wise after he took over so I do think we need to look at that when weighing up things in all fairness. He has had one January transfer window to sort things, that very same time period saw us lose our cannons.

Injuries have meant we lose quality and we can’t rotate those that are fit. Judging Mourinho with how things are at the moment to me simply isn’t fair but hats just my opinion on it BC. He inherited a flagging team and he managed to string together results that were only bettered by Liverpool during that time before Sonny got ruled out. I wait to see how JM does when he gets fitness, a pre-season and a few of his own players in before I weigh things up.

Last edited:

But dude the football is unwatchable

I'm astonished at the attitude in the UK, hasn't the message sunk in that social distancing is essential?

Except that's not the message that's been given out...

I'm astonished that some people aren't listening.

People are still going to work.

Schools are still open.

Social distancing is not essential.
Self-isolation is necessary if you have the symptoms.

Last edited:
Newspaper articles and pundits seem to be looking to blame Mourinho for everything as though everything at the club was perfect when he took over.

It's ridiculous.
History being re written before our own eyes. You see it here too, people talking about pressing everyday.
No one mentioned the press in years, it was all diamond diamond diamond.

Yet when people compare Pochs legacy to Jose’s start, not one person says the word diamond.

Trying to act like he got sacked on the back of our 16/17 style of play

Except that's not the message that's been given out...

I'm astonished that some people aren't listening.

People are still going to work.

Schools are still open.

Social distancing is not essential.
Self-isolation is necessary if you have the symptoms.
Except that the UK is the only country who seems to think that's the way forward.

You can be contagious for some days before you have the symptoms, that's the big problem.

But hey, keep calm and carry on, Dunkirk spirit and all that.

Edit:

Seems like the message is slowly sinking in. Your Prime Minister, a few minutes ago::

"Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel. We need people to start working from home where they possibly can. And you should avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues. "

So I win.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's Spurs,we need the points...

My mate yesterday was saying he is thinking of taking a month of work as he wants to keep his distance from people. Saying this whilst at in a packed Southgate pub?!...
Nothing against Southgate but if you want to catch diseases. It was a walking around chlamydia now add cov19.

Back
Top Bottom