Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch, love him, won nothing and finished behind Mourinho at Chelsea and United. Also lost the league cup final against Mourinho at Chelsea and an FAC Semi against Mourinho's United.

All the love for Poch seems to cloud peoples judgements.
Won nothing. Got out done in games that mattered, time and time again.

If you ask, "who has been more successful out of Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho in English football since June of 2014 when former was appointed as manager of Tottenham Hotspur" - there is only one answer to that question. Jose Mourinho. And there has been a massive difference.

Since that time, Mourinho has won -
Premier League; Europa League; League Cup (2x); Community Shield (2x).
Poch has won nothing. This is so massive difference that it is hard to grasp.
When ManU won EL+League Cup the same season, it was the team without Bruno Fernandes, team without Harry Maguire; team without Wan-Bissaka.

While I enjoyed the ride with Poch at the helm of Spurs it became apparent to me roughly 2 years before his sacking that we will not win anything under him. I never felt belief that he would line up and motivate the lads in the needed way for most important moments.

If you ask, "who has been more successful out of Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho in English football since June of 2014 when former was appointed as manager of Tottenham Hotspur" - there is only one answer to that question. Jose Mourinho. And there has been a massive difference.

Since that time, Mourinho has won -
Premier League; Europa League; League Cup (2x); Community Shield (2x).
Poch has won nothing. This is so massive difference that it is hard to grasp.
When ManU won EL+League Cup the same season, it was the team without Bruno Fernandes, team without Harry Maguire; team without Wan-Bissaka.

While I enjoyed the ride with Poch at the helm of Spurs it became apparent to me roughly 2 years before his sacking that we will not win anything under him. I never felt belief that he would line up and motivate the lads in the needed way for most important moments.
I think people are being a bit emotional about this. Of course Poch was a great manager, and we were unlikely to get a better one in that stage of the club's development.

However, Poch CONSISTENTLY failed at crucial moments every season.

Yeah. And he didn't renew his contract after that rather than persisting lol.

Norwich at home should never have gone to penalties to be fair. That's as much to do with the attackers not burying it as it was him looking far less prepared than Krull.
So you mean he repeated a mistake he saw Poch make? He thought Vorm would suddenly deliver a better performance under him?
Quit the bottle. Failed with RM, Chelsea 2.0 and Man Utd? You definitely know your football. His worst spell in his managerial history was with Man Utd, and he won EL and a cup. And made it to cup final on his 2nd year. RM won La Liga when Barcelona were the team to beat. Chelsea 2.0 won PL. What objectives did he fail to achieve?
madrid are supposed to win everything period. Nothing more nothing less. That’s their objective. It’s why they exist. Mourinho the best manager In the world with CR7, Kaka, Ozil etc. If he could beat Barca with inter logically he should’ve done it regularly with madrid. Got battered by Klopp’s Dortmund in CL too.

Chelsea he won a very weak league in ‘15, but he got dealt with by Simeone in the CL.

Utd was bad, but In defence of him, whilst he spent an absolute fortune (Most expensive team ever) I think Utd are an absolute shambles of a sports organisation.

Getting out when he did was good for him, similar to the likes of Di Maria and Lukaku. Time will be kind to him I think, but still losing to Sevilla at home is not a good look however you want to put it. Plus I will always hold it against him that things got so bad there that they thought “fuck it anyone will do“ and they hired Solskjaer!

Poch was out of his depth with squad management, I'm convinced.
All this "it's very hard to find players that will improve out starting 11" stuff was the first sign.
Improve their back ups so they don't have to play 90 minutes every week then, derr.
On the budget he was given tbf. Levy has pushed the boat out for Jose More than he ever did for Poch + Jose’s reputation/contacts has helped with Players like Vinicius and Reguilon.

but it’s also short termist
Is it? Cos the only short term signing we have is Doherty. Everonye else is 25 or under. It seems to me that he likes a player with a brain, ability to turn up week in week out, lead the youngsters etc. rather than age for the sake of it. PEH at 25 is clearly fulfilling that role now.
Levy has pushed the boat out for Jose More than he ever did for Poch
I don't see how. Levy broke the bank for 30m Sissoko, then 42m Sanchez, then another 40m for Lo Celso and 60m for Ndombele. Not to mention quite a few players like Dele, Dier, Davies, Trippier bought for pennies but are actually crucial members of the squad.

Mou in contrast, has mostly been shopping in the bargain bin, with us targetting players with expiring contracts, loans, older players etc. Regui and Bergwijn at about 30m each were hardly pushing the boat out.

Is it? Cos the only short term signing we have is Doherty. Everonye else is 25 or under. It seems to me that he likes a player with a brain, ability to turn up week in week out, lead the youngsters etc. rather than age for the sake of it. PEH at 25 is clearly fulfilling that role now.

I don't see how. Levy broke the bank for 30m Sissoko, then 42m Sanchez, then another 40m for Lo Celso and 60m for Ndombele. Not to mention quite a few players like Dele, Dier, Davies, Trippier bought for pennies but are actually crucial members of the squad.

Mou in contrast, has mostly been shopping in the bargain bin, with us targetting players with expiring contracts, loans, older players etc. Regui and Bergwijn at about 30m each were hardly pushing the boat out.
Poch had a £5mil net spend pre 2019. Let’s not start with the revisionist history. We failed to make CL and when that happened in the past there would always be a big sale. We haven’t lost anyone the club did not want to.

Also the club can pay players at a level, a seriously competitive level that they never have before. Kane, N’Dombele, Toby, Bale, Sonny new Imminent deal, Jose can afford to leave £150k a week Dele out of his squad. Times have changed for us.

We all assumed that Poch wasn't being backed by Levy.

And yet as soon as Mourinho comes, we get players galore.
Maybe it wasn't all Levy? Maybe it wasn't Levy at all.
Maybe Poch just isn't good at finding players.

Can't dispute that. Think we must have approached him every time he was available and a few times when he wasn't.

Still, it's a 3 year project IMO :mourlmao:

Guardiola has won 5 more trophies in 7 less years. Not being picky or anything. And people snipe at him all the time!
Has he won more trophies than Jose?

Has he ever won the Champions League with anyone?

With ManC has he ever progressed further than the quarter finals?

Should give you the answer as to who is the more successful manager

Has he won more trophies than Jose?

Has he ever won the Champions League with anyone?

With ManC has he ever progressed further than the quarter finals?

Should give you the answer as to who is the more successful manager
Playing with prime triple Bayern and prime Barcelona should not be considered as top notch. Of course he won titles with them. Man City gave him unlimited money and he is struggling against Mou (this season and last season). That's not even a question who is the best manager tbh... Hansi Flick took Bayern to another triple including CL in just one year. He did what Pep was not able to do.

Btw, it's insane how the guy DOWNPLAYED a CL WIN with fuqing Porto 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Beating Galaticos Real and United seems to be ez with a low budget team. Some ppl are just too jealous

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom