Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i agree. hes still got to get another at least 3 players in for it to be a side he actually wants. hes inherited some really bad footballers....give the man a few players who he actually wants for his system and then judge him
Although the players he inherited came within 90 minutes of becoming European champions just 18 months ago!

So you mean to tell me you have seen absolutely no improvement in this team for you to write this? How can you compare a manager having us at the top of the league for 23 days to a top 4 at best manager?

We are not the finished article and yet we were in the mix for a decent amount of the season. That is progress on any book.

In all honesty, between 2016-2019 we performed better in the league after 17 games than we have this season.

And we are only 4 points better off this season than we were at the same stage last season. Bare in mind that last season was so poor we sacked the best manager we had in 30 years...

So you mean to tell me you have seen absolutely no improvement in this team for you to write this? How can you compare a manager having us at the top of the league for 23 days to a top 4 at best manager?

We are not the finished article and yet we were in the mix for a decent amount of the season. That is progress on any book.
I haven't seen any progress. The average points from last season and performances have barely changed this season. As for being top for 23 days after 10 or so games....meaningless if you end up finishing out of the top 4, in fact arguably worse than playing catch up as we'd have been in a good position and blown it.

Although the players he inherited came within 90 minutes of becoming European champions just 18 months ago!
that team was at the end of its cycle, and had it not been for lucas having the game of his life in the second leg they wouldnt of got anywhere near it. not to mention vertonghen getting injured in the first leg and poch being forced to bring sissoko on which stopped us being tore apart in midfield. if vertonghen didnt get injured we would of been killed off in the first leg.

That was the season we sold Berbatov on deadline day and got the booby prize of Frazer Campbell on loan, wasn't it?

I expect there were a few on here at the time arguing that we got the better deal
Guarantee Berba woud not get in a Jose team.

My five favourite Spurs players

Hoddle
Greaves
Gazza
Modric
Ginola

i suspect only Luca and possibly Gazza get in a Jose team

However

Freund
Pratt
Booth

Might get a game

last 3 clearly a joke

Imagine thinking being on top for 3 weeks has any meaning.... no wonder most think Spurs fans are deluded as fuck
I can imagine the comment you referred to being shared across rival forums around the country.

giphy.gif

In all honesty, between 2016-2019 we performed better in the league after 17 games than we have this season.

And we are only 4 points better off this season than we were at the same stage last season. Bare in mind that last season was so poor we sacked the best manager we had in 30 years...
Also, we were notoriously slow starters, never really kicking into top gear until around XMAS.

Need to let the chains off now. I get it, defense first approach we were leaking to many goals but its just creating too many issues as we invite pressure all match long and don't score enough to justify it.

The link between attack and midfield just isn't there. Mourinho obviously doesn't want this, it's why he played 4 CMs yday, he wants Kane and son further up the pitch but the players aren't gelling to it.

In his head I think he imagines aurier and reguillon to be more wingers, and the 2 cbs and holding mids create a solid block but we are missing creativity terribly. Eriksen and Alli are the 2 that have created for us in the years. Kane being so far back is just killing me, he's not a cm, he's a striker and yday we almost had 5 CMs with son just always sitting out left. It's just a complete mess when it comes to the pitch.

Here's my 2 pence;

Toby and Dier CB, same 2 wing backs I just mentioned. Let Hjolberg sit in front of the defence and act as the single holding mid, the Makele role. The other 2 midfielders should be more advanced if that's what we're going to play. This isn't new to Jose he won champs league playing like this with inter Milan, he setup like this at Chelsea. It just baffles me why its always 4231 with sissoko and Hjolberg, it's overkill for me.

Ndombele is similar to dembele, he likes to drop the shoulder, keep the ball, so we need more creativity. Lo celso for me isn't it, good player but not that creative player I'm talking about. Alli is clearly out the door. We have nobody for me that fills the role properly the way Lampard or Sneijder did for Mourinho in the past. We miss eriksen massively, its obvious. Lucas seems to have a ceiling, as does Berg at the moment. Lamela can't be depended on. Bale never arrived.

The only thing I can think of doing is drop Kane behind Son or Son and Kane other way and Vinicius up front. Kane plays as a lone striker right now dropping so far back and hoping to pop it off to son on the left or get a foul, it's just all so predictable.

Lloris
Aurier
Toby
Dier
Regi
Hjolberg (holding cm)
Ndomblele (the one to advance)
Kane (as the 10)
Son (left)
Take your pick right side
Vinicius up front

It just puts more attacking thought into the team for me. Otherwise just put Kane and Vinicius up front together in a 442. I just can't see how with out quality of players in when we actually attack, we play so defensively. The midfield has completely broken away from attack and attached itself to the defense.

Being top for 3 weeks won't mean much if we finish 7th.

that team was at the end of its cycle, and had it not been for lucas having the game of his life in the second leg they wouldnt of got anywhere near it. not to mention vertonghen getting injured in the first leg and poch being forced to bring sissoko on which stopped us being tore apart in midfield. if vertonghen didnt get injured we would of been killed off in the first leg.
The team he inherited also had well over £120 million spent on it after reaching the Champions league final.
A massive clear out is needed and has been for at least 2 full seasons.
Aurier,
Sissoko.
Winks.
Moura.
Lamela.
Sanchez.
Dele.
Ndombele and Lo Celso are both not showing the form required why we spent the massive amount of money on them on a regular basis.

I think we should get rid of half the team.

Because its well known that signing lots and lots of players to replace them will see a rapid improvement.

Much more so than getting an actual coach who can get the best out of a squad.

What is it going to take to get Rodon some PL minutes over Dier? How many times will we give up a goal because Dier is out jumped? Forget tactics, picking the right XI should be the main focus.

What kind of trophy do they hand out for being top of the league for 23 days? Is it nice and shiny? Too big for just one person to hold or could it be a nice addition to your desk?

Probably both, but Levy didnt build the stadium to be hosting Lokomotiv Turnip on a Thursday night. Champions league qualification is a must i would have thought.
Could be the holy trinity. 3rd manager to win us a cup & then levy fires them not long after. 4th & league cup will be a success. He has to go if we get no trophy or top 4. If he gets 1 or the other its debatable. Knowing levy you would think top 4 is more important than a cup.

Back
Top Bottom