Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'High risk low reward strategy' isnt that difficult a concept. It just means taking a big risk with not much of a payoff. Risking a fuckup in your own box with a silly dribble only to gain a very little advantage is a bad move. Thats not what a defender should be doing. If Kane does that in the opponent box and succeeds, then theres a chance of scoring a goal , thats a low risk high reward strategy. Thats common sense stuff not soccerball or any such nonsense where we try to insult an overseas football fan.

John Stones used to get hammered for playing out from the back, he eventually found his balance on when to do it, when not to it's all a learning curve for Juan.

Obviously entitled to your opinion but from my side I'd rather see Davinson attempt to do it more than Juan do it less. When Sanchez was at Ajax he used to stride out of the defence far more frequently than we've seen him do in a Spurs shirt. Having a defensive player able to join into attacking areas spontaneously instantly puts fear into the opposition, instantly gets them out of shape and at a disadvantage.

Foyth is fine, I'd like to eventually see Davinson try and do the same. I'd much rather that than hoofing if out or back up the pitch. Next time you watch Barcelona, Real Madrid etc see how often they resort to hoofing compared to believing in their footballing ability. Juan will make mistakes but the positive things he'll do for us with those runs, things like instantly gain an advantage by taking two men out of the game or getting the players pressing him chasing his tail will open up a lot of space, a lot of positive moments for Spurs that will 100% outweigh the errors his style come so with. Give him time, there's a reason PSG wanted him before we snuck in, he has everything you need to develop into a top class footballer

Match winner (with cleansheet) against Palace too.

How anyone can think Foyth is a liability and not Davinson Sanchez is beyond me. Again, must be an aesthetics thing.

Sheep mentality. Davinson scares me everytime someone's closing him down, Foyth I feel calm. Big Dav will win the ball back and instantly give it back to the opposition by taking a swipe at it or needlessly booting it for a throw on occasions. Juan not only wins the ball back but tries to utilise that advantage by developing it into giving us the attacking onus.

Both are young but if I had to go with one style or another I'd go with Foyth's.

They are both very promising young CBs, we should be excited that Foyth is making a big contribution to our season at such a young age. Davinson has had a slightly dodgy season but with time he will improve, Toby staying and taking back his place has probably disrupted his development a bit. We all know that the plan for this season was to continue with Davinson and Jan like last season but things didn't go the way we all expected.

They're both good.

No, I agree - both are excellent, have such high ceilings and will be our centre back pairing for years to come - but it seems Foyth gets labelled as this liability yet I never hear it of Sanchez who has just as much 'liability' in him as Foyth does.

You know why? They're both YOUNG and learning.

If I was to choose though who's had the better season of the two this season, I'd pick Foyth everytime - and Sanchez was EXCELLENT last year.

Sanchez is in a different league to Foyth. He's worth the money we paid with his prime still to come. He ticks all the CB boxes.

This utter bollox about Foyth being potentially world class is ridiculous. One person says it, a few latch on then it becomes a fact. He's not even that good on the ball, when he brings the ball out he's head down and flustered, not graceful and under control like a "world class" player would look.

He's a player we took a punt on and who we'll hopefully make a profit on. I'd put him behind Dier and Davies as our current best CBs.

Sheep mentality. Davinson scares me everytime someone's closing him down, Foyth I feel calm. Big Dav will win the ball back and instantly give it back to the opposition by taking a swipe at it or needlessly booting it for a throw on occasions. Juan not only wins the ball back but tries to utilise that advantage by developing it into giving us the attacking onus.

Both are young but if I had to go with one style or another I'd go with Foyth's.

Facts.

People see pundits bashing a young and promising footballer and clamour to it, so they must be right - I remember when we started Foyth against Chelsea where he pocketed Hazard for 90 minutes and ALL the pundits spoke about regarding Foyth were the two penalties he conceded against Wolves.

I'm happy with both of them. Foyth is one of the best players we have with the ball at his feet and Sanchez has the potential to be very very good with the right coaching, still think Sanchez is poor in the air as well as using his strength correctly. I don't think chopping and changing them helps them however.

This is probably a bad year for Foyth to come through as our defence has been pretty poor all season and like I said earlier, he's the one getting all the blame while some others seem like they are never allowed to be blamed.

I think Foyth would do well in a 2 man CB with Jan or even Dav.

This is probably a bad year for Foyth to come through as our defence has been pretty poor all season and like I said earlier, he's the one getting all the blame while some others seem like they are never allowed to be blamed.

I think Foyth would do well in a 2 man CB with Jan or even Dav.

He and Toby were excellent in a 2 man defence against Chelsea. They barely got a sniff.

Facts.

People see pundits bashing a young and promising footballer and clamour to it, so they must be right - I remember when we started Foyth against Chelsea where he pocketed Hazard for 90 minutes and ALL the pundits spoke about regarding Foyth were the two penalties he conceded against Wolves.

I'm happy with both of them. Foyth is one of the best players we have with the ball at his feet and Sanchez has the potential to be very very good with the right coaching, still think Sanchez is poor in the air as well as using his strength correctly. I don't think chopping and changing them helps them however.

Gareth Bale didn't win any of his first 25 games in a Spurs shirt, Thierry Henry scored one goal in Arsenals opening 15 league games his debut season, Luka Modric was voted worse La Liga signing his first season in Spain, De Bruyne & Salah couldn't cut it at Chelsea and had to move abroad before finding their groove and how long did it take Harry to shake that one season wonder tag?

Got to give talent time to grow. People demand far too much these days, they want it all ready to eat and on a plate for them.

Foyth has a huge ceiling, it's time people appreciate that he's still a kid, his body still hasn't stopped growing yet potentially and he needs to be left alone now. It's his first real season playing a part in first team responsibilities and so far I think he's shown huge promise and potential. So far so good

Buzzing for him.

Deserved and he was MOTM in his last game for them so hopefully can continue that

I don't understand why people pitch one player against another, they are both our future. Are they the finished article? No. Have they the potential to improve and become first class centre backs? Yes, with expert coaching.

Juan Foyth joined Tottenham at the end of the summer 2017 transfer window, after a transfer pursuit which had gone on for some months.

The French media had insisted repeatedly that PSG were the favourites to sign the player. Yet, the media close to Estudiantes repeatedly insisted Foyth himself rather fancied a move to Spurs, wanting to play under Mauricio Pochettino.

He got his way, and in his first season the defender was very much learning behind the scenes, not to be seen on the pitch.

This campaign he has eleven starts across all competitions and is an increasingly used member of Pochettino’s Spurs squad.

He’s also getting more Argentina recognition and is currently away with the national squad. With Foyth expected to start this evening against Venezuela, Marca got a few words with the player.

Asked if he’s a more technical or physical defender, the Spurs man said: “More technical, but I’m working hard on my aggressiveness. And I think I’m improving it little by little.”

The Spanish newspaper then put it to Foyth that some people believe defenders need a ‘bad face’, and point out that he hasn’t, being quite innocent looking.

The 21 year old feels he can use that to his advantage: “It’s true that I do not have it, but when being bad on the court, it’s perfect [laughs]. Now I have a scar so it’s changed a bit"

Foyth was then thrown a typical Marca style question, is he more like Sergio Ramos or Gerard Pique: “I like both, but my style of play is more like Pique because of the technique.”

Asked about the influence of Pochettino his game, the Tottenham youngster said: “He was a central defender and gives me very good tips to be better, more aggressive.”

Technique and aggression appear to the key things for Foyth’s future.

Anyone know how he performed in the 3-1 loss to Venezuela? I see he played 90 mins and picked up a booking.
Gave away a penalty for Venezuela's third and I thought he was a bit unlucky.

However the Argentine defence were awful and Venezuela could have had a few more.

Back
Top Bottom