Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has a bit of David Luiz in him. Can amaze on the ball and with a pass, but is rash and a bit risky when attempting to break.

That being said I think we have a stud who just needs game time to figure out the league and grow in confidence

In all honesty, Alderweireld was nothing special at 21 and I think on a graph, Foyths potential is ALOT higher than Tobys was at the same age.

Alderweireld wasn't even in the top 20 best centre backs in the world at the age of 26. Fast forward a year later and he was arguably top 5. Again, the same with van Dijk. at 21 he was at fucking Groningen.

Development, finding the right coach, right system and the right partner are just as crucial. Foyth has the best team for his development. The best coach in Pochettino. Just needs to be part of the right system and find the right partner.

Foyth is the heir to Alderweireld in this Spurs team. Oozes class. Anticipates the play VERY well. Superb passing ability. Just needs the game time, experience and a consistent partner alongside him.

Get him and KWP a designated program to bulk up a bit more in the summer and go from there.

David Luiz's problems are lapses in concentration and not necessarily something you can teach. I have NEVER seen that in Foyth. Ever. Sometimes he has absolutely ZERO movement ahead of him and holds on the ball a bit too long which can mean an interception or misplaced pass (Which I see a lot from Vertonghen too) - but that's taught by having competent central midfielders who are happy to receive the ball under pressure.

Don't understand why people pitch Davy and Juan against each other. They are both still young but have the potential to be our centre back pairing for years (if they fulfill their potential and we can can keep hold of them!).
I see qualities in both of them. Of course they are going to make mistakes, who doesn't, but getting on their backs isn't going you help, is it?
I do agree that Juan needs to bulk up a bit though, that too will come with time.

Don't understand why people pitch Davy and Juan against each other. They are both still young but have the potential to be our centre back pairing for years (if they fulfill their potential and we can can keep hold of them!).
I see qualities in both of them. Of course they are going to make mistakes, who doesn't, but getting on their backs isn't going you help, is it?
I do agree that Juan needs to bulk up a bit though, that too will come with time.

I think the main problem is that none of them seem to play left sided centre half and Poch seems to do everything in his power to make sure they don't develop there (Tends to play Toby left sided centre half to compensate).

Meaning it'll be one or the other in terms of who plays when Vertonghen and Alderweireld eventually leave or we'll be going to 3 at the back permanently, which not many people seem to like.

I think the main problem is that none of them seem to play left sided centre half and Poch seems to do everything in his power to make sure they don't develop there (Tends to play Toby left sided centre half to compensate).

Meaning it'll be one or the other in terms of who plays when Vertonghen and Alderweireld eventually leave or we'll be going to 3 at the back permanently, which not many people seem to like.
Thanks for that, see that's why I could never be a football coach - can't tell my left from my right!

Thanks for that, see that's why I could never be a football coach - can't tell my left from my right!

I think if anything we should be looking to develop Foyth there. He's already comfortable with both feet, has played there for Argentina at youth level and is a better all round footballer than Sanchez.

But Poch knows best!

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a continuous changing of our formations movi forward, which means the occasional flat back four, 3 CBs or the new one which seems like a switch mid game from 3 CBs to our furthest right CB switching to RB mid game. I think the way Foyth attacked yesterday left Huddersfield completely baffled and gave us a genuinely unique dimension. The DM & LB of theirs didn't need have a clue what to do and it turned the usually negative and reserved 3 CB usage into a dynamic option to attack.

Pochettino values multiple position players and it helps give him real tactical diversity on the pitch. Personally I would still only play Foyth in games where we have most of the possession for another season but I'd start him in 10-15 League games next year to take some of the burden off of Jan ageing body. Someone mentioned Davies as a future CB and it's a really good shout.

The value of a multiple positional player is so vital to a team that can't match the spending power of the likes of Man City & we've seen a fair few show many strings to their bow since joining. Lucas, Dier, Vertonghen, Aurier, Foyth I'm certain could etc. I would really be surprise to see a settled formation under Poch anytime soon

In all honesty, Alderweireld was nothing special at 21 and I think on a graph, Foyths potential is ALOT higher than Tobys was at the same age.

Alderweireld wasn't even in the top 20 best centre backs in the world at the age of 26. Fast forward a year later and he was arguably top 5. Again, the same with van Dijk. at 21 he was at fucking Groningen.

Development, finding the right coach, right system and the right partner are just as crucial. Foyth has the best team for his development. The best coach in Pochettino. Just needs to be part of the right system and find the right partner.

Foyth is the heir to Alderweireld in this Spurs team. Oozes class. Anticipates the play VERY well. Superb passing ability. Just needs the game time, experience and a consistent partner alongside him.

Get him and KWP a designated program to bulk up a bit more in the summer and go from there.

David Luiz's problems are lapses in concentration and not necessarily something you can teach. I have NEVER seen that in Foyth. Ever. Sometimes he has absolutely ZERO movement ahead of him and holds on the ball a bit too long which can mean an interception or misplaced pass (Which I see a lot from Vertonghen too) - but that's taught by having competent central midfielders who are happy to receive the ball under pressure.

I love his game and see him being with us for the long haul. He has it all, just needs time for sure. David has all the skill but lacks the focus, which I see creep into Juan's game sometimes. He will learn when to play risky and when not to. The comparison was more about their natural ability and technique and less about "Juan will be no better than Luiz". I am excited to see him gain focus and maturity

In Foyth we got for £4m what City paid £50m for in Stones.... Young, rough but baaags of potential. Has already put in some extremely encouraging performances....

Struggling to see why negative opinion is gaining such momentum with a handful of peeps.

Will he be our CB for the next decade? Perhaps not.... He might morph into our DM hero over the course of next season..... Who knows?

Why are some so quick to make judgement?

.....Maybe he or another signing does bomb; is being the one that "called it" really so important?

In Foyth we got for £4m what City paid £50m for in Stones.... Young, rough but baaags of potential. Has already put in some extremely encouraging performances....

Struggling to see why negative opinion is gaining such momentum with a handful of peeps.

Will he be our CB for the next decade? Perhaps not.... He might morph into our DM hero over the course of next season..... Who knows?

Why are some so quick to make judgement?

.....Maybe he or another signing does bomb; is being the one that "called it" really so important?

Van Dijk, the worlds best defender according to a fair few that definitely don't have their blinkers on was playing for Groningen at Juan's age. He was a solid 3 1/2 years away from getting his first international cap yet look how he has developed with maturity, strength, knowledge of the game and how to read it etc.

Foyth oozes top drawer quality & is still only 21. The reason why people are quick to judge is that the World these days expects it all and expects it now & quite frankly it's pathetic mate. No empathy, no understanding or ability to look at themselves in their professions and see how they developed with experience and time, just a pointing finger in the direction of a footballer saying not good enough and moving him on. How did that philosophy work out for Chelsea when they longed De Bruyne, Lukaku, Salah etc off?

Foyth and Sanchez have a fair way to go to realise their true potential but I'm delighted we have two talented, hard working, smiling team players that have the world at their feet. We're a great club and we as a fanbase need to stop acting so entitled as it really isn't in he fabric or foundations of the club. I love me a little Juan & I can't wait to see what he becomes later down the line. The same applies to big Dav, still a youngster at 22

Foyth is special, honestly can't think of any CB player who has been this good at our club at such a young age. Massive potential with a huge ceiling.

Sanchez is a different type of player, also big potential, but I expect Fouth to go further.

We've been quite spoiled, I think, with Jan and Toby these past few years. They are such a good partnership and have individually loads of quality, so it's difficult to keep perspective when looking at Davinson and Juan. If people doubt the quality and long-term potential of those two, I think that they are going through a bout of amnesia about what we've had as resources for CB's for the previous number of years.

Some of our CB's were good quality but our depth was pathetic. To think that we have that pairing as backups who will only get better is something we should all be very pleased with.

our problem is we need a left sided CB to get ready for when Jan goes, Juan looks good against the weaker team's and if he progresses in a few years could be a top CB, Davidson is ok, but feel their is always a penalty in him, also he try's to win the ball on the halfway line when covering player is too far away to save the day
Both of these are right sided players learning the game, we also need a left sided CB learning the game

our problem is we need a left sided CB to get ready for when Jan goes, Juan looks good against the weaker team's and if he progresses in a few years could be a top CB, Davidson is ok, but feel their is always a penalty in him, also he try's to win the ball on the halfway line when covering player is too far away to save the day
Both of these are right sided players learning the game, we also need a left sided CB learning the game

Looks like Davies might convert into that left sided CB in the coming years. Played there a few times and done it well.

i think Poch may develop Juan there, its just that this season, and particularly now, isn't the right time to go through that process. Be interested to see what he does pre season.

I’ve always seen Dier as a much more like for like hier to Alderweireld to be honest. Very similar types, similar characters, both comfortable with the ball at their feet, both can ping a diagonal, neither want to dribble or overplay, both big robust, aggressive types. Similar career trajectory (TA played games at RB and CM).

I don't think too many of us are saying Foyth's pony are we? He's clearly got oodles of technical ability, very comfortable on the ball, I'm just not sure he's as robust or aggressive as this league sometimes requires, he can dither as bit at times as well.

But he's young and time will tell.

Last edited:
Looked really good in RB/RWB role today. Kept the threat of Sterling and Sane to a minimum i thought. The kid has got bags of class and composure and a great future ahead. A run of games would give him a ton of confidence also.

It's great he's looking so versatile. Could definitely be an option at right back and i think he could do an even better job as a DM. Way more mobile than Dier and Wanyama and with his defensive upbringing it could only help in that role with dropping back into defence when needed.

His performance today

giphy.gif

Yeah, heard Neville say he wasn't mobile enough in the first half...they had to move Sterling into the middle to get away from him...

Back
Top Bottom