Jurgen Klinsmann

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking loved him for 9 months. That game at anfield was one of my favourites. Was Starting to realise as a teen in ireland what a shower of pricks liverpool fans were

Klinsman is the reason I like football and support Spurs. I was 13 when he signed.

No interest before then. Guess I got caught up in the hype around him coming.

I was gutted when he left in 95. Then we signed Chris Armstrong to replace him which to be fair was asking too much.

Him and Teddy were nearly as good as Kane and Son!
The biggest problem with us getting Armstrong is those wankers up the road got Berkamp.
I'm sure I recall at the time that we were in with a shot but lost out to them.

You can see why in the Wenger era players might have passed us over for them, but in June 1995 we had finished higher than them, had a supposedly rated coach and a decent squad coming through. No idea if we ever had a shot at Berkamp or not but had we signed him to replace Klinsman, who knows what would have happened to our fortunes.

I remember getting so excited when we signed him! I still have that 94/95 season review on VHS somewhere.

That epic opening game against sheff wednesday, and the fucking goal he scored against Everton the following game...

Pure fucking brilliance!

The biggest problem with us getting Armstrong is those wankers up the road got Berkamp.
I'm sure I recall at the time that we were in with a shot but lost out to them.

You can see why in the Wenger era players might have passed us over for them, but in June 1995 we had finished higher than them, had a supposedly rated coach and a decent squad coming through. No idea if we ever had a shot at Berkamp or not but had we signed him to replace Klinsman, who knows what would have happened to our fortunes.
Bergkamp was a Spurs fan wasn't he? Think he was out of our price range, Woolwich paid 7M plus for him which was big money at the time. I recall they also spent 4.5M on David Platt that summer so they were outspending us easily back then (the Sugar era)..

Arguably him and Teddy were similar in style so it may not have worked out and we went for the cheaper more direct option. The player we should have got that summer to replace Klinsmann was Les Ferdinand who ended up going to Newcastle for 6M. No way Sugar was paying that either. We got Les a couple of years later but i think he was slightly past his peak by then.

Ferdinand was broken by the time we got him. Such a shame.

Sheringham left a year or 2 after Armstrong because of a lack of ambition at Spurs.
Maybe getting Ferdinand to play with him, or Bergkamp to replace him was what should nave been done.

Fucking loved him for 9 months. That game at anfield was one of my favourites. Was Starting to realise as a teen in ireland what a shower of pricks liverpool fans were
You are correct about the Liverpool fans as a whole, but, I seem to remember the Kop giving Klinsmann a standing ovation at the final whistle of that Q/F.

Bergkamp was a Spurs fan wasn't he? Think he was out of our price range, Woolwich paid 7M plus for him which was big money at the time. I recall they also spent 4.5M on David Platt that summer so they were outspending us easily back then (the Sugar era)..

Arguably him and Teddy were similar in style so it may not have worked out and we went for the cheaper more direct option. The player we should have got that summer to replace Klinsmann was Les Ferdinand who ended up going to Newcastle for 6M. No way Sugar was paying that either. We got Les a couple of years later but i think he was slightly past his peak by then.
we also Sugar dong all the embarrasing interviews about Carlos Kickaballs, saying he wouldnt wash his car with a signed shirt that Klinsmann gave his , and so on.
which might well have put a player off from joining us

still, we got Jose Domingues a couple of yars later. made it all worth while

Almost a god to me during my teenage years.

From the euphoria of him signing ( I remember everything from that day) to what followed he is still by far favourite ever Tottenham player .

Was only young when he signed but im sure he was one of the best strikers in the world at the time.

So why did he sign for us? Wasnt there a whole host of better teams after him?

Back
Top Bottom