Keane, Vieira, Jones, Bremner, etc

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Blanchflower

Supporter
How come the press go all misty-eyed when talking about these players kicking other players, fighting and sometimes genuinely trying to end an opposing players career...........and yet we've done it once and our players are getting slaughtered for it?

Quite a few even questioning whether it shows we have a lack leaders on the pitch.......but Keane and Vieira are famed as the best Captain's of the Premier League era and have 15 red cards between them.

Seems like it was all okay back when men where men.......but not now Spurs are men

Yeah this irritates me too. Similarly I had a Chelsea fan telling me that we were a disgrace and didn't deserve the league based on Monday. A fucking Chelsea fan!

Because it was "okay in their day" I imagine.

But you're right. It's pathetic and shows how low football has stooped. You can't even try and help someone get mud out of their eye without being handed what seems to be looking like a hefty ban.

Football. Bloody hell.

Modern football is played by a bunch of f**king pussies. There is no room for hard men anymore. Look at the state of that metrosexual Jordan Henderson who fancies himself as a hard man. He's a fucking wet blanket.

Why do people care what the fucking press write ? Everyone fan loves an Eric Dier type in their own team and if Eric goes on to have half the success Vieira or Keane had in twenty years they will be getting misty eyed over him and calling the new Dier a thug.

Why do people care what the fucking press write ? Everyone fan loves an Eric Dier type in their own team and if Eric goes on to have half the success Vieira or Keane had in twenty years they will be getting misty eyed over him and calling the new Dier a thug.

Because whether you like it not their collective narrative influences public opinion and that has an effect on the way referees / football administrators deal with you.

I feel that the press and public being misty-eyed over them is as a reflection on their overall contribution and importance to their teams and the success of those teams. At the time, they were being scrutinized on a game by game or incident by incident basis plenty when they did go over the top.

I don't like the witch hunt on our team right now either, given the circumstances of Fabregas and Hazard being cunts beforehand. But I do think, it's fair enough that someone like Dier is scrutinized if and when he goes from enforcer to over the top. If he becomes part of a title winning side for us, leading by being a hard fucker in the heart of the side, then he too will be, widely, remembered fondly as someone who went over the top at times, but was essential to a great side.

How come the press go all misty-eyed when talking about these players kicking other players, fighting and sometimes genuinely trying to end an opposing players career...........and yet we've done it once and our players are getting slaughtered for it?

Quite a few even questioning whether it shows we have a lack leaders on the pitch.......but Keane and Vieira are famed as the best Captain's of the Premier League era and have 15 red cards between them.

Seems like it was all okay back when men where men.......but not now Spurs are men
I for one am glad such thuggery and dirty cuntish behaviour is no longer tolerated in football

Those players also won a lot of silverware hence the revisionist reacharound

I for one am glad such thuggery and dirty cuntish behaviour is no longer tolerated in football

Those players also won a lot of silverware hence the revisionist reacharound

would rather have a player chin another than all this handbags shit!..make it honest if you see what I mean !!.. notice mr souness has been very quiet ! he would have loved Monday night.
funny thing is a friend of mine is high up at sky towers... says queity sky are over the moon with the amount of publicity last Mondays game has got but wont say so because it goes against the grain so to speak.

football must be the only pro sport where players actively cheat on fellow pro's to gain an advantage and its accepted in the main!.
we've gone over the top now , soon there will no contact whatsoever!.. seen far worse than what went on last Monday with not even a booking.. not that long ago either.. ask graham Roberts..
fucking wimps and grasses game now.

Last edited:
Also seen a few Spurs fans/bloggers deriding the performance.

I thought it showed that we have a certain steel about us, every team needs to have that in order to not get completely bullied.

We went years and years being the softest, nicest team to play against, I'm loving that people might actually fear getting a good pasting when playing us.

Never forget.... "Lads, it's Tottenham"

I had this though about Dier. He's not a dirty player like Keane but he is nails.

I can't remember having someone like him since Roberts and maybe Gough.
Personally I think its great

Sergio Ramos has 21 red cards to his name.

The press can do one. We need some fight and have shown everyone we don't mind roughing it. Just need to harness that fight in a more focussed manner than we did on Monday. Not that I didn't love seeing the Chavs role around in pain!

I remember an interview that Dier done earlier in the season. Cant remember what game it was after but he basically said how people have a perception of Tottenham but that's changed now. Too right.

Back
Top Bottom