Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LOL.

Trippier won La Liga w/ Atleti.

Foyth won the Europa League (beating ManUtd in the final) w/ Villarreal and was in Argentina's WC winning squad this winter.

Aurier won multiple titles and cups w/ PSG, made Ligue 1 Team of the Year twice, won an African Cup of Nations w/ Côte d'Ivoire, and was in the CAF team of the year 4 times.

Per usual, your Johnny-Come-Lately takes are trash.
It's pretty empty headed stuff Aurier is certainly better in some aspects of his game and Tripper is better at others both were binned off but too soon. But not because these dopey fan takes, but because worryingly we have had coaches and staff too short sighted and weak to use the gifts they had. We saw the same thing with Royal. In a different age I think we'd now have lost Bale. Because I stood at the lane and heard the depth of the boos for his name. Had the social media pile on been as acute he'd have been driven out before the San Siro origin story.

He has 13.4 xA but yeah he's fucking shit because his teammates haven't finished off all the chances he's created for them.

Going to make the team of the season (deservedly so) as the player of the season in a team finishing 3rd and you're still here with the agenda .. does it ever get boring?
He's in my Fantasy team, just as he was when he played for us!! Go figure out why that is - Here is a little bit of help, it's because they only attribute points on the assists and opportunities created. They don't take points off the failed passes/crosses, whilst he's attempting those things. He loses possession more than anyone in the teams he plays for. The turnovers result in attacks/chances/goals against (did for us, less for Newcastle as the team shape without the ball is far better than ours when he played) whilst he's stuck upfield with a gaping chasm of space left behind him the oppo teams target (people criticise TAA for this but not Tripps, that's because TAA does still have the legs to try and get into a defensive position, Tripps doesn't, usually found holding his face faking an injury or he's just trotting back just out of camera shot). They don't focus on him not being able to play through a press when he's received the ball under pressure, can only play the way he faces because he never lets the ball run across his body to open up the pitch. That he can't take on his oppo number, literally never.

But he can take a set piece.

He's in my Fantasy team, just as he was when he played for us!! Go figure out why that is - Here is a little bit of help, it's because they only attribute points on the assists and opportunities created. They don't take points off the failed passes/crosses, whilst he's attempting those things. He loses possession more than anyone in the teams he plays for. The turnovers result in attacks/chances/goals against (did for us, less for Newcastle as the team shape without the ball is far better than ours when he played) whilst he's stuck upfield with a gaping chasm of space left behind him the oppo teams target (people criticise TAA for this but not Tripps, that's because TAA does still have the legs to try and get into a defensive position, Tripps doesn't, usually found holding his face faking an injury or he's just trotting back just out of camera shot). They don't focus on him not being able to play through a press when he's received the ball under pressure, can only play the way he faces because he never lets the ball run across his body to open up the pitch. That he can't take on his oppo number, literally never.

But he can take a set piece.

Yeah, and creates more. Go figure. Imagine having players who take risks .. wouldn't that be fucking awful having endured safety first ball for years?

Trippier has been THE key player in a successful team this season and you're still here acting like he's some kind of liability, having also been in the La Liga TOTS when Atletico won it all, and still a key England player despite RB being our strongest area.

Is he perfect? No, he's got defensive frailities and not everything he tries will come off. But when he's creating 14 goals a season from right back, then you can handle the downsides.

But yeah, whatever .. just set pieces. Even though his open play xA pisses all over any of our right backs, and most right backs, from a great height.

LOL.

Trippier won La Liga w/ Atleti.

Foyth won the Europa League (beating ManUtd in the final) w/ Villarreal and was in Argentina's WC winning squad this winter.

Aurier won multiple titles and cups w/ PSG, made Ligue 1 Team of the Year twice, won an African Cup of Nations w/ Côte d'Ivoire, and was in the CAF team of the year 4 times.

Per usual, your Johnny-Come-Lately takes are trash.
The way people watch football is fucking mindblowing. All done without actually specifically watching what said player is good or bad at and whether that profile is a net positive or net negative effect on how the team play. Or even whether that player compromises the entire philosophy of how the coach wants his teams to play by using the position he plays in a specific way that said shit player can't perform it.

Yeah, and creates more. Go figure. Imagine having players who take risks .. wouldn't that be fucking awful having endured safety first ball for years?

Trippier has been THE key player in a successful team this season and you're still here acting like he's some kind of liability, having also been in the La Liga TOTS when Atletico won it all, and still a key England player despite RB being our strongest area.

Is he perfect? No, he's got defensive frailities and not everything he tries will come off. But when he's creating 14 goals a season from right back, then you can handle the downsides.

But yeah, whatever .. just set pieces. Even though his open play xA pisses all over any of our right backs, and most right backs, from a great height.
It's NOT risk-taking, it's just kicking a ball. When a player is taking risks, he's standing up the oppo, looking to take them on, turn them towards their own goal, dribble through them, and commit them. It's also threading a ball usually from deep that breaks oppo lines. Pumping a ball into the mixer isn't risk-taking, it's low % opportunity creation.

He just lobs a ball into the box where our attacker(s) are outnumbered 5 or 6 to 1.

He was totally the wrong profile FB for Tottenham, he wasn't able to perform any actions asked of a Poch FB (which basically involves dominating their flank of the pitch, pinning their oppo number into their own half) and he therefore totally unbalanced our team (not just him, our midfield was also shite during this period so not solely on him). But however you cut it he was the weakest link in our entire team, giving up possession when pressed in defensive positions and giving up possession when attacking (his pass completion was woeful and we played with Kane as a false 9, not a true 9, so his crosses were like passbacks (regularly hitting them too early before anyone could get anywhere near the box, or they were simply blocked by oppo defence. We did have a good routine where he would pass around the corner, to a player making a run from in to out.

The way people watch football is fucking mindblowing. All done without actually specifically watching what said player is good or bad at and whether that profile is a net positive or net negative effect on how the team play. Or even whether that player compromises the entire philosophy of how the coach wants his teams to play by using the position he plays in a specific way that said shit player can't perform it.
Biases are natural, but so are blind-spots.

His creativity is not only set piece based - 99th percentile for successful crosses & key passes as well. Trippier creates chances, whether that's from excellent set piece delivery or from being willing to get balls in to the box.

Selling him was one of the biggest mistakes this club has made in years. He'd be one of our best players now.

He is also capable of seeing playing clever passes into channels that put other players in the assist position.

Athletically he’s a bit challenged, but he’s one of the best at that rb/rmid hybrid position.

Of the players that have played 1000+ minutes, only KDB (0.61), Fernandes(0.47) and TAA(0.38) have higher XA90’s. (Trippier 0.36).

Whilst also being part of the second best defence in the league.

Trippier is (still) a top-level attacking RB/RWB, who is excelling in Howe's asymmetrical back-4 system.

He's not and never has been a shut-down defender, and opponents are wise to attack his side and the space he vacates when attacking, but the same could be said about Trent Alexander-Arnold.
I agree in part:

TAA has been heavily criticized for his defensive qualities, as you say teams will look to exploit the space he leaves behind him. I have a theory as to why so much focus has been placed on TAA in this regard and not Tripps. I think the reason why TAA gets so much clog is because he is still in the vicinity of the crime, so to speak. If the ball is played behind him, he is still looking to engage the oppo, all be it severely disadvantaged because the oppo now has the advantage/surprise over him positionally.

The difference is Tripps (when the ball is played behind him) is usually nowhere to be seen. He's usually not even in the frame of the TV. He's made no attempt of a recovery run to engage the oppo. So unlike Trent, he doesn't draw criticism.

TAA can do this because I think he's a more athletic player. Because of this, I would pick TAA as my FB/WB over Frodo any day of the week (I also think his ability in open play is also far superior).

He is also capable of seeing playing clever passes into channels that put other players in the assist position.

Athletically he’s a bit challenged, but he’s one of the best at that rb/rmid hybrid position.

Of the players that have played 1000+ minutes, only KDB (0.61), Fernandes(0.47) and TAA(0.38) have higher XA90’s. (Trippier 0.36).

I agree with your first sentence (and have referenced this in one of my posts), it's the ONLY thing I like about him but I think it's not unique to him, it's part of a rehearsed attacking phase of play. and requires a perfectly timed run also.

He's not really part of that defence though, is he? Guimaraes arguably has greater defensive responsibilities. He becomes a WB pushed very high up the pitch in an Asymmetrical 4-3-3. Their defence is good largely because they are aggressive pressers of the ball high up the pitch, which limits the number of chances oppo creates (as we were peak Poch).

What always annoyed me about Trippier was how he'd receive the ball. His body would always tend to be in the wrong position. The best example of this was a goal we conceded against United where he ended up giving the ball away and they went long to score through Rashford.

Great delivery on him. Woeful defender though. Helped out massively this year by great coaching and a team that know what they're doing. I do think however he's a bench mark at what we can hope for from Porro. Not the best defensively but in the right set up, won't be too fragile defensively as Trippier has shown at Newcastle for most of the season whilst also providing a good outlet and great delivery.

I agree with your first sentence (and have referenced this in one of my posts), it's the ONLY thing I like about him but I think it's not unique to him, it's part of a rehearsed attacking phase of play. and requires a perfectly timed run also.

He's not really part of that defence though, is he? Guimaraes arguably has greater defensive responsibilities. He becomes a WB pushed very high up the pitch in an Asymmetrical 4-3-3. Their defence is good largely because they are aggressive pressers of the ball high up the pitch, which limits the number of chances oppo creates (as we were peak Poch).

But he’s part of that press. As he was for Poch.

And yes, he’s much better as a RWB/RMidfield, which is what he was at his best for us, back end of 16/17.

People complaining about his defending when Poch was asking him to do the same things (push right up and press) in a back 4, were missing the tactical issue on Poch. Even Howe isn’t that stupid.

But even in asymmetrical back fours, AM (where he won the league) and Newcastle (CL) he’s tactically smart enough to make it work and not be a liability.

And Starks Starks
Yes, as I’ve said, he has flaws, but most footballers do. As flawed players go, he was a very competent and viable footballer when used correctly. One of the better ones in that type of remit. Better than we’ve had as RWB’s the last three years.

And yes, he’s much better as a RWB/RMidfield, which is what he was at his best for us, back end of 16/17.

People complaining about his defending when Poch was asking him to do the same things (push right up and press) in a back 4, were missing the tactical issue on Poch. Even Howe isn’t that stupid.

But even in asymmetrical back fours, AM (where he won the league) and Newcastle (CL) he’s tactically smart enough to make it work and not be a liability.

And Starks Starks
Yes, as I’ve said, he has flaws, but most footballers do. As flawed players go, he was a very competent and viable footballer when used correctly. One of the better ones in that type of remit. Better than we’ve had as RWB’s the last three years.

Personally I've always thought on his day Aurier was by far the best right wing back we had since Walker. Unfortunately that's also like me saying on his day Ndombele was probably our most talented central midfielder. Though that may discredit Aurier a little bit because he had some fantastic games for us that didn't involve him conceding penalties or making a mistake whereas Ndombele rarely completed a game.

And Starks Starks
We had long since dropped our high press by the time Tripps got game time (Peak press 15/16 = 6 apps; Peak press 16/17 = 12 apps, 17/18 - Walker leaves for City Tripps gets selected as we didn't have another RB in the team - The team was still good though (Lloris-Rose- Verts-Toby-Frodo-Dembele-Dier-Wanyamma-Dele-Eriksen-Kane+Son) - the last year we had that midfield but by a country mile he was the worst player in that squad and totally the wrong profile FB for Poch.

He's not athletic enough to dominate his side of the pitch (obvious examples were Rose and Walker who achieved this no matter the oppo), and almost every oppo attack was behind him (I've sent you mine and professional tacticians' writings about this - Yes, with FB's pushed up the pitch any team can look to go behind that area, but that rarely happened with Rose and Walker, they simply able recover there position, or recover into a defensive position whilst usually one of Dembele/Dier/Wanyama came out to engage/slow down the attack.

Both Aurier and Emerson are better individual players than Tripps (Aurier is a better all-around FB by that I mean balanced by providing both defensive and offensive actions, able to physically dominate his wing - although nowhere near as well as Rose or Walker lacking in pace and explosive power required they both possessed (although Rose wasn't blistering quick he just relished any 1v1 duel).

Like so many of these things, individual players look better in well-coached sides. Teams performing better than the sum of their individual parts. 17/18 was the best Spurs side Tripps played in, he was easily and clearly the weakest link in that team because he could perform the FB role Poch demands. By the time we get into 18/19 other serious issues are now appearing and we are no longer a high-pressing side, in fact some teams are now starting to press us, the midfield is mush and no longer dominates the oppo, it's all looking a bit horrible, so he's not to be singled out but he just really still didn't do himself any favours and his defending was truly calamitous.

Back
Top Bottom