Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont doubt Trippier lumps a lot of pointless balls into the box which adds up to some of the probability based numbers . Instead look at facts like assists per 90 minutes.

Trippier also is in 10th in our team for assists per 90 minutes far behind KWP, Aurier and Rose. Theres a reason why trippier's passes/crosses dont turn into goals as much even though he puts in a ridiculously high number of crosses, because most of them are shite crosses .

Most of those high floated balls between the edge of the box and penalty spot are a piece of piss for any defender worth their salt.

I've accepted the fact the Poch doesn't envisage KWP pushing on, but I have the impression that Serge's injuries this year have gifted Trippier a number of 'second chances' that otherwise would have meant less game-time.
I’d much rather not be in the situation where we have an out of form RB backed up by an injured bombscare, but we can only piss with the cock we’ve got.

Again, Trippier hasn’t done well this season. But he’s far from shite. Like any other set of opinions I suppose we have to disregard the obvious negative agenda driven stuff as well as the happy clappy positive stuff and the correct answer to how good he is will fall into our laps.

He’s a good player. Not great. Never will be.

This thread is becoming as bad as the Lamela one though.

I’d much rather not be in the situation where we have an out of form RB backed up by an injured bombscare, but we can only piss with the cock we’ve got.

Again, Trippier hasn’t done well this season. But he’s far from shite. Like any other set of opinions I suppose we have to disregard the obvious negative agenda driven stuff as well as the happy crappy positive stuff and the correct answer to how good he is will fall into our laps.

He’s a good player. Not great. Never will be.

This thread is becoming as bad as the Lamela one though.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter... I just think the "well Tripps never got dropped so Serge is the lesser player" stance is a bit blinkered.

I barely have a preference, what I would say though is that Serge still remains somewhat of an enigma whilst we very much know what KT offers at this point.

Sign a new #1, decide on who's gonna stay as back up (KT, SA or KWP) and sell the other 2.

Why the fuck is he for sale then?
In attributes terms he’s not the ideal Poch full back.

He’s 28 and probably looking for a last big contract to head into his 30s. The club stand to make a big profit.

He’s improved his rep and Spurs have improved whilst he’s been here.

I think all round it’s been a good run with Trips and now is the time to move on. He can be frustrating but he’s not “shit”. A club of Napoli’s standing wouldn’t be in for him if he was.

True. And even if our attakers manage to get a touch on them they are almost never going to be a goal, but as a stat it counts as a chance created.

Yeh,... Headed goals from 15 yards are pretty uncommon unless you're Ronaldo facing a shit keeper.

We wanted to sell Walker because he was approached by City, offered a deal we couldn't match or deemed not right for us to match. HE WANTED OUT. I support this approach, I support selling a player that doesn't want to be at the club, I support us extracting the very best price possible we can get from the buying club. I supported us selling Walker under the circumstances and will do again if a similar scenario presented itself. But make this crystal clear, Walker was NOT for sale, he had only just been offered him a new improved contract which he signed.

If Poch didnt want to sell Walker, he wouldnt have sold him. None of this has any relevance...you tried to say that basically "if Trippier isnt shit why are we selling him".

I think you know its a nonsense, because despite all the block capitals, players are sold all the time. It doesnt mean they are shit. Is Eriksen shit if he leaves? How do know Trippier doesnt want out?
Maybe he's sick of fans like you?

No Tripps is shit because he's shit. All reports support the possibility that it's us selling not him requesting a move having been tapped up for more money and a "chance to win something". There is your difference.

The reports have suggested nothing other than Napoli want him. Maybe he stays and remains first choice here. Will you then be able to bring yourself to say that Pochettino is incompetent after 4 years of playing a "shit" player when he has two "far superior" players sitting on the bench?

You address every other point but this one. Weird.

QUOTE="bus-conductor, post: 1876959, member: 6078"]
XA90 is a qualitative and quantitive measurement of chances created per 90 minutes. Of our players who started more than a handful of league games only Eriksen (0.27) had a higher XGA per 90 than Trippier (0.19) in our team.

XA is the qualitative and quantitive measurement of expected goals from the chances created by a player. Of all our players over the course of the whole season, only Eriksen had a higher XA (7.88) than Trippier (4.58).

For comparison, Walker's XA at City this season was 1.94. His XA90 was 0.06.

Danny Rose XA 2.59. XA90 0.13.
I dont doubt Trippier lumps a lot of pointless balls into the box which adds up to some of the probability based numbers . Instead look at facts like assists per 90 minutes.

Trippier also is in 10th in our team for assists per 90 minutes far behind KWP, Aurier and Rose. Theres a reason why trippier's passes/crosses dont turn into goals as much even though he puts in a ridiculously high number of crosses, because most of them are shite crosses .
[/QUOTE]

You have just completely ignored the facts that contradict this and repeated the same stuff you stated before it was proven incorrect. XA is a metric that qualifies as well as quantifies. It's a metric that is derived at by the measurement of over 10,000 events (at least), takes into account the quality and historic values of the players involved and puts an accurate value of probability to each event. It's also fairer on the player measured because it doesn't depend on the next phase being completed to register (ie like an assist) it merely measures the quality of the actual action by the player himself only.

But no, "all he does is lump shite crosses" is much more valid....FFS

A good example would be the superb pass that Trippier put into Llorente against Ajax, that Llorente then fucked up from point blank rage - which incidentally led directly to our second goal.

Trippier's got deficiencies, he's not had a great season, but then who has?

I find it really odd that you will use basic stats to criticise Trippier but were one of Sissoko's biggest fans, a player who doesn't do anything well, is the 11th in tackling (Trippier 2nd), 15th in Interceptions (Trippier 7th), 9th assists, 10th key passes (Trippier 2nd), Sissoko is the 7th most dispossessed (Trippier 14th), 9th most unsuccessful touches (trippier 13th), Sissoko 9th most passes pg (Trippier 4th our highest passing player outside the CB's).

I short Sissoko does fuck all well. His technique is shite, his passing is rudimentary, his defending - even pressure events (as per posted by me several times) are shite. But he's "POTS" and Trippier's garbage?

If Poch didnt want to sell Walker, he wouldnt have sold him. None of this has any relevance...you tried to say that basically "if Trippier isnt shit why are we selling him".

I think you know its a nonsense, because despite all the block capitals, players are sold all the time. It doesnt mean they are shit. Is Eriksen shit if he leaves? How do know Trippier doesnt want out?
Maybe he's sick of fans like you?

The reports have suggested nothing other than Napoli want him. Maybe he stays and remains first choice here. Will you then be able to bring yourself to say that Pochettino is incompetent after 4 years of playing a "shit" player when he has two "far superior" players sitting on the bench?

You address every other point but this one. Weird.
Name ONE of KWP’s performance that have been worse than any of Trippers this season. Nope Neither can I. So I do not know why he doesn’t play more. Airier has been injured, that’s why he hasn’t played more, I’ve already covered this previously.

Anyway this is utterly pointless, looks like he is going. I can’t wait for him to be gone. If you wish to cry into your Frodo embossed pillow case be my guest. He’s off not to be seen again, thank fuck for that!!

You have just completely ignored the facts that contradict this and repeated the same stuff you stated before it was proven incorrect. XA is a metric that qualifies as well as quantifies. It's a metric that is derived at by the measurement of over 10,000 events (at least), takes into account the quality and historic values of the players involved and puts an accurate value of probability to each event. It's also fairer on the player measured because it doesn't depend on the next phase being completed to register (ie like an assist) it merely measures the quality of the actual action by the player himself only.

But no, "all he does is lump shite crosses" is much more valid....FFS

A good example would be the superb pass that Trippier put into Llorente against Ajax, that Llorente then fucked up from point blank rage - which incidentally led directly to our second goal.

Trippier's got deficiencies, he's not had a great season, but then who has?

I find it really odd that you will use basic stats to criticise Trippier but were one of Sissoko's biggest fans, a player who doesn't do anything well, is the 11th in tackling (Trippier 2nd), 15th in Interceptions (Trippier 7th), 9th assists, 10th key passes (Trippier 2nd), Sissoko is the 7th most dispossessed (Trippier 14th), 9th most unsuccessful touches (trippier 13th), Sissoko 9th most passes pg (Trippier 4th our highest passing player outside the CB's).

I short Sissoko does fuck all well. His technique is shite, his passing is rudimentary, his defending - even pressure events (as per posted by me several times) are s
I have no willingness get into every single stat that some has bothered to collect especially as you have included number of passes as some sort of useful metric.

Other guy was talking about creating chances, which is why I brought up assists as those are had from actual goalscoring chances rather than some xa/xga nonsense.

Also I have no interest in needing to defend Sissoko's contributions this season against fucking Trippier's. Its stupid to even discuss that.

Italy is my favourite European country. The area around Sorrento is absolutely beautiful and the food is to die for. Yes it has it's ugly spots, but so have most places.

Off thread I know but have you been to Sicily Mrs P

I’ve never been to Italy but my son is dating a Sicilian girl who has suggested we all go there later this year and they live just outside Palermo

Fogueres or anyone I’d be grateful for any input on where to stay etc as my daughter has now decreed that she wants to go as opposed to a Gap year
So that’s that!!

Name ONE of KWP’s performance that have been worse than any of Trippers this season. Nope Neither can I. So I do not know why he doesn’t play more. Airier has been injured, that’s why he hasn’t played more, I’ve already covered this previously.

Anyway this is utterly pointless, looks like he is going. I can’t wait for him to be gone. If you wish to cry into your Frodo embossed pillow case be my guest. He’s off not to be seen again, thank fuck for that!!
If he does go, the silver lining will be not having to wade through your relentless bullshit on the subject. Your quite staggering post count is going to fall through the floor. Thankfully.

Off thread I know but have you been to Sicily Mrs P

I’ve never been to Italy but my son is dating a Sicilian girl who has suggested we all go there later this year and they live just outside Palermo

Fogueres or anyone I’d be grateful for any input on where to stay etc as my daughter has now decreed that she wants to go as opposed to a Gap year
So that’s that!!
Yes I have on a couple of days trips. Taormina is absolutely beautiful.

Then stop fucking quoting me mate. Oh look there’s yet another post.
If you’re not posting in response to me, you’re just posting. Tough to avoid twenty odd thousand posts really.

But your point stands. So I’ll leave as agree to disagree.

Name ONE of KWP’s performance that have been worse than any of Trippers this season. Nope Neither can I. So I do not know why he doesn’t play more.

Because Pochettino prefers Trippier is the clear cut answer, whether you accept it or not

Airier has been injured, that’s why he hasn’t played more, I’ve already covered this previously.

Aurier hasnt been injured for three years though. He's simply not first choice.
Trippier missed 5 weeks this season, yet walked straight back into the team.

Because Pochettino prefers Trippier is the clear cut answer, whether you accept it or not

Aurier hasnt been injured for three years though. He's simply not first choice.
Trippier missed 5 weeks this season, yet walked straight back into the team.
I have accepted it, I don't understand it, that's the difference And I'm not the only one, it has become a "thing" about him not selecting KWP, there could be a ton of reasons that we aren't party to but it's not been down to the fact that KWP has been poor, he's played well whenever selected and this is all we have to go on.

Aurier hasn't been with the club for three years, this is his 2nd season. In his first, he played just 7 less PL games that Tripps (more than Tripps did when Walker was still with us)!! He's missed 24 games thru injury (12 hamstring, 8 groin, 4 thigh) this season, that's a significant number of games. Tripps has miss 5 games!

Back
Top Bottom