Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All this doesn't matter as much if we play 3 at the back, as Tripps is automatically pushed up higher up the pitch and we are compressing the space, dominating the opo. It does mean he still can't take on his opponent but we can play him in by putting a ball behind the defence for him to run onto and then cross. This for sure is better at Wembley as there is more space.

This is the issue I have with him offensively. When he get's the ball, he has to look for the pass or cross because he won't/can't take on the defender. This was really obvious against Man City. He'd get the ball and if he was near a defender, he did not advance it. It's disappointing that there isn't at least the threat for the other team to worry about.

Again like with everything else, Poch will work on him taking on people and he will get better at it, that's what happens, especially as he is now first choice focus

Walker was better then Tripps. Poch is confident that Tripps can fill Walker's shoes. Considering Poch's success with basically every FB he has gazed upon, I'm not going to worry while the team is still finding their legs. That being said, we need to find them quick for Chelsea in week 2.

Don't know what Kieran has done to upset the American people, but he has been named Tripper on the Team sheet twice now.

Naming someone after a STD is a low blow. He doesn't even play for Woolwich.

Again like with everything else, Poch will work on him taking on people and he will get better at it, that's what happens, especially as he is now first choice focus
Unfortunately that requires skill, he's nearly 27yrs old, what you see is pretty much what you're going to get.

Poch is a genius coach and I do not question Trippier's application, so that does bode well for improvements. But I'd suggest that they will be positionally rather than improving on any skill level.

Defensively in his decision making, when to make a tackle (the number of fouls he gives away in our defensive third is extremely high, no worries him fouling a player higher up the pitch, this is one of Rose's biggest improvements under Poch) and when to just stand a player up. Also, where and when to cover the goal when without the ball, especially when CB has been pulled into his position when a ball is played behind him. Poch got Walker almost spot on with this and last year Walker's positional play without the ball was almost perfect. Not sure what Poch does with him on a high ball to his side as he is simply incapable of winning any arial ball (cut the cross at source I guess).

Attacking wise dealing with a player that simply doesn't possess a high level of skill on the ball is a major challenge, again what you see is what you get. So here again it's more to do with getting him to into areas of the pitch rather than have him take himself there by taking on the oppo or passing quickly through the lines. So this leaves us with him largely with two options a) early, early ball into the box played from deep or b) playing the ball over the top of defence for him to run onto.

So as a willing student this is where I would expect to see him improve, nothing to do with learning new skills, just effecting play by making better decisions. Like Davies, a run of games will also enable him to improve, although Davies does possess far better level of ability on the ball than Tripps.

Poch has also adjusted the team shape in the past to compensate any issues our FB's may have had and we are a good enough side to solve issues mid game.

Bottomline - We need a FB who has pace and is good on the ball. KWP possess these but obviously it's early for him and it's such a flip of a coin when/if an academy lad clicks from the off??? But raw talent will always shine through eventually.

Last edited:
7Fbtvoz.gif

Knowing your thoughts on Trippier, that gif was actually quite hilarious.

Walker was better then Tripps. Poch is confident that Tripps can fill Walker's shoes. Considering Poch's success with basically every FB he has gazed upon, I'm not going to worry while the team is still finding their legs. That being said, we need to find them quick for Chelsea in week 2.
You can't improve pace that much. That's been tried with Dier.
Pochettino cannot make Trippier any faster.

Shaw, Clyne, Walker and Rose were all pretty fast anyway and had the confidence to take on players and got back rapidly.

You can't improve pace that much. That's been tried with Dier.
Pochettino cannot make Trippier any faster.

Shaw, Clyne, Walker and Rose were all pretty fast anyway and had the confidence to take on players and got back rapidly.

You can make people faster.

When Kane was asked what he trains the most on, he said pace. He said he wanted to be faster and believed he could be.

With the right muscle training and running technique you can add a few yards of pace onto what you have - not a huge amount, but you can make improvements.

Kane has certainly gotten quicker.

I believe Jay Rodriguez also got quick when Pochettino got him on his regime.

There was an article about some regime and a machine that Pochettino uses that helps the muscles which in turn is supposed to make you faster.

Ahhhh, regimen I assume? Sorry not meaning to cunt you off, was genuinely confused.

As for Trippier, I think there is some reason to worry based off what we saw in the Citeh friendly, however I also think Poch kept his card close to his chest in that match a bit. I think we'll see more 3 at the back especially against a team like Citeh and Trippier at this point seems to excel at that formation much more than the "traditional" back 4.

I've just read that over the past 3 seasons, Trippier is Burnleys top chance created.. he hasn't been there for 3 years. That's incredible.

If you're wondering, ours is Eriksen with 309 chances.

Good read this and more eloquently put than I've been banging on about for ages. What I like about this write up is it takes a look at the RB's we have been linked with since Walkers departure and also matches their traits against Walker and Tripps:

Just a silly way of looking at things.

That's like saying we're fucking stupid for not signing a top goalkeeper if Lloris went and got injured today.

Pochettino quite clearly trusts KWP - so let's fucking trust him.

No mate, you're right.
The smart move is to wait as late as possible.
Even if that means selling the best right back in the League, then seeing the replacement injured before the season starts.
Let's start the season with a makeshift line up with a yootman on the bench for his position who none of us know the name of.
Let's cede all negotiating power to the selling club.
Lets wait four games into the season before we bring the new player in.
That's the clever way.

We've been Levy'ed

No mate, you're right.
The smart move is to wait as late as possible.
Even if that means selling the best right back in the League, then seeing the replacement injured before the season starts.
Let's start the season with a makeshift line up with a yootman on the bench for his position who none of us know the name of.
Let's cede all negotiating power to the selling club.
Lets wait four games into the season before we bring the new player in.
That's the clever way.

We've been Levy'ed

How many backup players should Levy buy for each position? IF Poch sees KWP as a good enough backup, have we been Levyed for not buying backup for the backup, when we have Dier and Alderweireld that have experience as RB and others who could fill in in a RWB position.

Now IF KWP is not a good enough backup player - which I doubt is Poch's position on the matter - then we should have a backup for Trippier, of course. In that case I'm pretty sure we've been working on it.

Back
Top Bottom