Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I prefer Trippier at the moment. He seems like the smarter player, especially with his attack positioning. Walker gets a little lost a times in the final third.

I prefer Trippier at the moment. He seems like the smarter player, especially with his attack positioning. Walker gets a little lost a times in the final third.

Chalk and cheese. As for being smarter not too sure about that??? I thought all footballers were thick and dense?? Bwhaha bwhaha:pritchardeyes:
Trippier is faster than Walker and very keen to get up front and score. Against Twatford fair enough Trippier was in his element. However against tougher and rougher teams his small build lets him down and being that far forward could be suicidal if the timing is wrong.
Walker in his defense may not have the speed of Trippier. Even so he is no snail himself. Unlike Trippier you don't see Walker being pushed off the ball by anyone. Not many players out there would feel confident going into a 50/50 tackle against Walker. The guy is a nutter when he wants the ball.
For me personally our best defender without a doubt. Englands best current defender! :bow::walker::coys:

Had a very good game.

But Watford made it very easy - they posed no threat down that side going forward, and they were so narrow defensively. Ake had a shocker, and so Trippier had time and space to do what he wanted, much like he did against Colchester.

I actually thought he was relatively unproductive given how much time and space he had (10 crosses, only 3 accurate). He and Davies got into great areas and could have scored/created more. My biggest criticism of Trippier is that he puts in too many crosses with not enough thought of what he's doing - probably because he's been taught to do that at Burnley.

That said, I absolutely loved his burst forward from halfway for his goal, and his general passing and one-on-one defending were good.

Walker and Rose are still well ahead of Trippier and Davies for me, and I would expect them to start vs City. They are just better footballers, particularly in terms of their technique/balance. Trippier and Davies have a tendency to back themselves into corners because of body shape and inability to shift weight. Whereas Rose and Walker allow themselves to play on the front foot but can swivel and get themselves out of tricky spots because of their athleticism.

Had a very good game.

My biggest criticism of Trippier is that he puts in too many crosses with not enough thought of what he's doing - probably because he's been taught to do that at Burnley.

Walker and Rose are still well ahead of Trippier and Davies for me, and I would expect them to start vs City. They are just better footballers, particularly in terms of their technique/balance. Trippier and Davies have a tendency to back themselves into corners because of body shape and inability to shift weight. Whereas Rose and Walker allow themselves to play on the front foot but can swivel and get themselves out of tricky spots because of their athleticism.
First point - wow, what a statement. The quality of his crosses begs for people to get on the end of them, what is he supposed to do - hit unproductive passes to non threatening areas of the pitch instead? Players should see what they will have served up for them and go looking to get on the end - make the defenders defend in and around the 6 yard box - not the D on the end of the penalty area.
Walker is not a great footballer, he survives most circumstances because of his speed and muscle, but Trippier is a way better crosser, passer and a more thoughtful player. IMV Walker needs to up his game or he will become the #2 No.2
Rose is a better footballer than Davies, but his crossing is inferior.

Notwithstanding the difference of opinion, I am no longer concerned to see any of the 4 of them start, they all add facets of their personal game to the defensive dynamic, and even the loss of Vertonghen seems not to have upset the balance too much.
My concern is the next game - Aguero's movement and speed I think will be a big issue, particularly for Wimmer.

Given the rubbishing they just took from Leicester I think our best defence against Aguero will be to simply do what we do best and dominate possession, and deprive him of the ball.

I would put Trippier and Rose on for that game

I prefer Walker and Davies as first choice Full back but have no qualms about Rose and Trippier , we've come along way in my time as a Spurs fan in my early days Justin Edinburgh breezed into the starting line up !

First point - wow, what a statement. The quality of his crosses begs for people to get on the end of them, what is he supposed to do - hit unproductive passes to non threatening areas of the pitch instead? Players should see what they will have served up for them and go looking to get on the end - make the defenders defend in and around the 6 yard box - not the D on the end of the penalty area.

Not hit so many crosses. The way we play means that we don't have many players in the box, as they are involved in build-up outside it. So whipping a beautifully shaped cross into Kane/nobody may look good, but ultimately isn't that great.

Crossing is statistically an inefficient way to score. Instead he'd be better off mixing it up - sometimes cut back to players in space just outside the box, or drive into the box himself and pick a pass. Or cross from closer.

As much as I like Rose, I wish he'd more selective with his crossing too.

Walker is not a great footballer, he survives most circumstances because of his speed and muscle, but Trippier is a way better crosser, passer and a more thoughtful player. IMV Walker needs to up his game or he will become the #2 No.2
Rose is a better footballer than Davies, but his crossing is inferior.

Walker is an underrated footballer IMO. He uses his speed and muscle to his advantage and mixes that athleticism with an actually pretty reliable touch and almost unparalleled (in the PL) ability to move us from back to front at pace.

Walker's been one of our most consistent performers this season.

Notwithstanding the difference of opinion, I am no longer concerned to see any of the 4 of them start, they all add facets of their personal game to the defensive dynamic, and even the loss of Vertonghen seems not to have upset the balance too much.
My concern is the next game - Aguero's movement and speed I think will be a big issue, particularly for Wimmer.

Given the rubbishing they just took from Leicester I think our best defence against Aguero will be to simply do what we do best and dominate possession, and deprive him of the ball.

I would put Trippier and Rose on for that game

Absolutely, our back-up full-backs are solid players and give us good depth.

Last edited:
You disagreed with my comment at half time that I thought Chadli should come off for Alli
:dembelefingers::dembelefingers::dembelefingers::dembelefingers::dembelefingers::dembelefingers:
Alright, we've been nice to Gomes for a half.

I like Dier however think he's a bit..... well, dim - probably should never have him and Bentaleb in the double-pivot together. Bring on Alli for Chadli maybe.

You'll find it was the Dier was dim I disagreed with. I'd have Alli for Chadli every time. Alli and Kane play far better together than Kane and Chadli.:dierpochhug::dierpochhug::dierpochhug::dierpochhug::dierpochhug::dierpochhug::dierpochhug:

Not hit so many crosses. The way we play means that we don't have many players in the box, as they are involved in build-up outside it. So whipping a beautifully shaped cross into Kane/nobody may look good, but ultimately isn't that great.

Crossing is statistically an inefficient way to score. Instead he'd be better off mixing it up - sometimes cut back to players in space just outside the box, or drive into the box himself and pick a pass. Or cross from closer.

As much as I like Rose, I wish he'd more selective with his crossing too.

Walker is an underrated footballer IMO. He uses his speed and muscle to his advantage and mixes that athleticism with an actually pretty reliable touch and almost unparalleled (in the PL) ability to move us from back to front at pace.

Walker's been one of our most consistent performers this season.

Absolutely, our back-up full-backs are solid players and give us good depth.

I couldn't agree more with your last 2 posts. Insightful and sensible.
I personally think Trippier could be compared to Rose as they are similar in lots of ways. Like you can compare Davies with Walker as they too are similar. How ever comparing either Trippier/Rose against Davies/Walker is just plain nonsense. I can't say anything negative about all 4 defenders. We are suffering an embarrassment of riches when it comes to our defense. Even so at push of asking. Walker is the cream of our defense in my lowly opinion. :walker:

Back
Top Bottom