klinsmann

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

“I think Tottenham’s identification with their fans and the Tottenham district is incredibly deep,” explained Klinsmann. “People live in Tottenham around White Hart Lane – and in 130 years, a Spurs fan base has evolved all over the world. No matter where I travel today, I meet Tottenham fans everywhere.”

Then asked what sets Spurs apart from other London clubs, the Manchester teams and Liverpool, he said: “What distinguishes the club is its proximity to the people. It’s a hands-on club, and you will be just part of this family culture. And Tottenham’s footballing style was always more entertaining than that of the other clubs in London. In addition, the support of the fans is unique, because always the whole stadium sings and gives the team energy".

“Similar to Dortmund, Tottenham fans will feel when a game tilts and have tremendous footballing expertise. They want to see technically good and fast football, and they love players who can decide things by themselves. Like Harry Kane or Dele Alli now.”

Off topic but there was a program on telly with Mabbutt and Edinburgh talking about Klinsmann's time with Spurs.

Klinsmann couldn't understand the British press mentality and why they were all over him about diving and Mabbutt said it was really affecting him prior to the start of the season so Mabbutt told him he would need to make fun of himself in public, a concept completely alien to Germans, in order to turn round public opinion.

What they wanted him to do was walk into his first press conference wearing a full deep-sea diving suit! (brilliant) but they couldn't find one to rent anywhere in the country!

They still needed to think of something else prior to the first match of the season and on the way to the Sheffield Wednesday game it was Teddy that suggested that the whole team dives with him when he scores his first goal.

CeleKlinsmann_450x425.jpg

They carried on talking about that season and how Ardiles basically not only went with 5 attackers (Teddy, Klinsmann, Barmby, Anderton and Dumitrescu) but he also wanted the full backs to bomb forward! (Edinburgh and Kerslake). This left Walker (GK), Judas and Nethercott (CD) and Calderwood (DM) as the only defensive minded players in that first game. I seem to recall Calderwood scoring quite an impressive own goal in that game.

Mabbutt knew Klinsmann had some clause that should Bayern come calling he would have to go but respected how he stayed professional to the end. Edinburgh didn't have a clue that Klinsmann was leaving.

When Gerry Francis came in after Ardiles was sacked Edinburgh said how much happier the defence was as is wasn't just utter chaos, Francis completely focussed in organising the defence in training and just left the attackers to keep doing what they did. This resulted in us finishing 7th (or 8th?) and the last time we finished as the highest London club.

They also spoke about Klinsmann's return in December 1997 and how he wasn't performing as well (due to getting no game time at Sampdoria earlier in the season) and that his return was so he would be fit for the World Cup. The last 3 games of that season though he was back at his best, essentially saving us from relegation with his 4 goals against Wimbledon. Edinburgh basically said what we all knew, that nobody in the dressing room believed in Christian Gross as a manager.

That 1994 team was crazy, if we had a good manager, held onto a few players during that era (Klinsmann, Sheringham, Popescu, Barmby etc...) and brought in some quality full-backs we could have pushed on. I'm amazed how Sugar got so much wrong, imagine having Ferdinand and Ginola added to that attacking 5.

If we were being honest , why would a supposed top manager come to Tottenham.
The chances of success are shackled by a incompetent higher leadership which
cause the club/team to self implode every 2 years.
The best we could expect , somebody (Ramos, Jol) on the up, somebody given (AVB) a second chance,
or somebody (Sherwood) very cheap.

I was at anfield on sunday and was painfully aware that the support had no figure to coalesce around. Timmy's lack of guts and sheer passive aggresive antics of blaming the squad and removing himself from the carnage. Means he will not be accepted pass May.

The job now is now massive and we need someone that the supporters can invest patience in. Some one who we can say ok we are rebuilding it may take 2 seasons to sort this mess out but we have the man to do it.

I nominate klinsman. Should be getable post world cup and if he is willing to come should be seriously considered.

Last edited:
Come to Tottenham, you'll be a success!

We have a superb track record over the last thirty years.

- League cup winners!
- FA cup winners!
- Europa League participation!
- Champions League participation!

Your already excellent managerial skills will be tested to the limit and beyond at this esteemed football club of unparalleled pedigree.

Do you want to further your knowledge and experience of football coaching in the Premier League? We have a potential vacancy opportunity you would be MAD to miss out on.

Send us your CV and covering letter detailing why you would like to work for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and psychological medical history and where you would like to see yourself in six to twelve months' time.

Audere est facere! Because at Tottenham Hotspur, to dare is to do, and we don't know what we're daring.

Last edited:
It was suicide watch back then

Dippers under Brendan on their way to mounting a title challenge and Timmy was sitting in the stands for a better view. Amazing what a difference 4 years under Poch has made. We’ve turned ourselves from 4th place challengers into genuine top 4 side, we’re about to move into a new state of the art 62k stadium. Who’da thunk it as that 5th goal went in at Anfield in Dec 2013.

“I think Tottenham’s identification with their fans and the Tottenham district is incredibly deep,” explained Klinsmann. “People live in Tottenham around White Hart Lane – and in 130 years, a Spurs fan base has evolved all over the world. No matter where I travel today, I meet Tottenham fans everywhere.”

Then asked what sets Spurs apart from other London clubs, the Manchester teams and Liverpool, he said: “What distinguishes the club is its proximity to the people. It’s a hands-on club, and you will be just part of this family culture. And Tottenham’s footballing style was always more entertaining than that of the other clubs in London. In addition, the support of the fans is unique, because always the whole stadium sings and gives the team energy".

“Similar to Dortmund, Tottenham fans will feel when a game tilts and have tremendous footballing expertise. They want to see technically good and fast football, and they love players who can decide things by themselves. Like Harry Kane or Dele Alli now.”
Nice words, but still can't quite forgive him for leaving us the way he did.

Back
Top Bottom