klinsmann

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would hire him just to see him and his sweaters. Imagine the large badge on his chest. So hawt.

tumblr_mkbpzhFYYz1rs466uo1_400.jpg

Off topic but there was a program on telly with Mabbutt and Edinburgh talking about Klinsmann's time with Spurs.

Klinsmann couldn't understand the British press mentality and why they were all over him about diving and Mabbutt said it was really affecting him prior to the start of the season so Mabbutt told him he would need to make fun of himself in public, a concept completely alien to Germans, in order to turn round public opinion.

What they wanted him to do was walk into his first press conference wearing a full deep-sea diving suit! (brilliant) but they couldn't find one to rent anywhere in the country!

They still needed to think of something else prior to the first match of the season and on the way to the Sheffield Wednesday game it was Teddy that suggested that the whole team dives with him when he scores his first goal.

CeleKlinsmann_450x425.jpg

They carried on talking about that season and how Ardiles basically not only went with 5 attackers (Teddy, Klinsmann, Barmby, Anderton and Dumitrescu) but he also wanted the full backs to bomb forward! (Edinburgh and Kerslake). This left Walker (GK), Judas and Nethercott (CD) and Calderwood (DM) as the only defensive minded players in that first game. I seem to recall Calderwood scoring quite an impressive own goal in that game.

Mabbutt knew Klinsmann had some clause that should Bayern come calling he would have to go but respected how he stayed professional to the end. Edinburgh didn't have a clue that Klinsmann was leaving.

When Gerry Francis came in after Ardiles was sacked Edinburgh said how much happier the defence was as is wasn't just utter chaos, Francis completely focussed in organising the defence in training and just left the attackers to keep doing what they did. This resulted in us finishing 7th (or 8th?) and the last time we finished as the highest London club.

They also spoke about Klinsmann's return in December 1997 and how he wasn't performing as well (due to getting no game time at Sampdoria earlier in the season) and that his return was so he would be fit for the World Cup. The last 3 games of that season though he was back at his best, essentially saving us from relegation with his 4 goals against Wimbledon. Edinburgh basically said what we all knew, that nobody in the dressing room believed in Christian Gross as a manager.

That 1994 team was crazy, if we had a good manager, held onto a few players during that era (Klinsmann, Sheringham, Popescu, Barmby etc...) and brought in some quality full-backs we could have pushed on. I'm amazed how Sugar got so much wrong, imagine having Ferdinand and Ginola added to that attacking 5.

this is more of a curiosity than an argument against Klinsmann: bringing a german manager to the Premiership would be (almost) a first and a statistical gamble. since the PL was born there's only been one german manager: Magath at Fulham - he's been in since february and there are already talks of sacking him. Means Klinsmann is not fit for managing a PL club just cause he's german? Absolutely not, but it does mean it would basically be an experiment in the true sense of the word.

It was suicide watch back then

Dippers under Brendan on their way to mounting a title challenge and Timmy was sitting in the stands for a better view. Amazing what a difference 4 years under Poch has made. We’ve turned ourselves from 4th place challengers into genuine top 4 side, we’re about to move into a new state of the art 62k stadium. Who’da thunk it as that 5th goal went in at Anfield in Dec 2013.

I wonder will Nicola Berti be there...

:nawty:

Yep, Berti is confirmed too. All in aid of remembering 25 years since Norwich beat Inter in the UEFA cup. Or something. I remember standing outside Carrow Road as a 12 year old in 94 on Boxing Day and Klinsmann signing my programme, so weird to think I will be watching him play 25 years later! Berti....meh. Remember the odd decent game, like a 3-0 win up at Blackburn, but that whole period for me has just become a bit of a dull blur!

Yep, Berti is confirmed too. All in aid of remembering 25 years since Norwich beat Inter in the UEFA cup. Or something. I remember standing outside Carrow Road as a 12 year old in 94 on Boxing Day and Klinsmann signing my programme, so weird to think I will be watching him play 25 years later! Berti....meh. Remember the odd decent game, like a 3-0 win up at Blackburn, but that whole period for me has just become a bit of a dull blur!

Not getting yourself over here for the parade then ?
trophy.gif

Back
Top Bottom