La Liga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

some good matches on today the main one being Valencia v Barcelona at 9

Real are also playing Racing at 7

I'll probably watch both of them later and sip on abit of hennessy

Fell out with Spanish football a little last season when there was that endless run of 'El Clasicos'

Most over-hyped rivalry of all time. Fundamentally it's a game of both teams trying to out cheat each other.

cantsmilespurs said:
Fell out with Spanish football a little last season when there was that endless run of 'El Clasicos'

Most over-hyped rivalry of all time. Fundamentally it's a game of both teams trying to out cheat each other.

this years Supercopa was pretty awesome, especially the first leg

they actually tried to play football

Paydro said:
cantsmilespurs said:

this years Supercopa was pretty awesome, especially the first leg

they actually tried to play football

Is that when they fall to the ground in agony?

No way is it rubbish outside the two big ones! Valencia, Atletico, Bilbao, and several others in that league would make mincemeat out of the SPL. I think they would do OK in the Prem too. Having said that I also think many Serie A clubs would do well in our league, whereas I'm sure many here will disagree.

Its like the SPL because its a 2 team league not because its the same level of quality. Obviously.

I find it dull and pedestrian, just cant get excited about it.

The PL is the best in Europe in terms of strength in depth. UEFA regulate entry to their competitions not on ability. This is evidenced by Spurs, CL debutants cruising to the QF. This is a team that due to UEFA qualification rules cannot normally qualify yet would routinely beat those that qualify for Italy and Spain (RM and FCB excluded of course).

There is so much dross in the CL that would be beaten by any PL team but due to UEFA's inclusion strategy which is based not on merit but on making sure every country's league has a chance to be represented, it reduces the chance for the truly competent teams to participate. We have the came ol' shit teams from the supposedly equal leagues that get nowhere after many many attempts.

On ability, I reckon it should be 2 from La Liga, 2 from Serie A, 2 from Bundesliga, 7 from EPL and a 1 from Portugal, France and Russia and forget the rest of them.

Yeah I misread your post, sorry, thought you'd said "La Liga is pony. The two good clubs aside, its like the SPL"

Subtle difference but anyway... I still think you're slightly overrating the English sides in comparison. You say we cruised to the QFs last year, but Milan were all over us from start to finish, and Inter are a club in serious decline right now granted, although they still mullered us at San Siro, albeit nullified by Bale's amazing one man show, but take Napoli or Roma for example, I doubt we'd cruise past them.

Having 7 English clubs and 2 from Serie A, La Liga, and Bundesliga just seems wrong to me.

oh-no-not-dozzell said:
Its like the SPL because its a 2 team league not because its the same level of quality. Obviously.

I find it dull and pedestrian, just cant get excited about it.

The PL is the best in Europe in terms of strength in depth. UEFA regulate entry to their competitions not on ability. This is evidenced by Spurs, CL debutants cruising to the QF. This is a team that due to UEFA qualification rules cannot normally qualify yet would routinely beat those that qualify for Italy and Spain (RM and FCB excluded of course).

There is so much dross in the CL that would be beaten by any PL team but due to UEFA's inclusion strategy which is based not on merit but on making sure every country's league has a chance to be represented, it reduces the chance for the truly competent teams to participate. We have the came ol' shit teams from the supposedly equal leagues that get nowhere after many many attempts.

On ability, I reckon it should be 2 from La Liga, 2 from Serie A, 2 from Bundesliga, 7 from EPL and a 1 from Portugal, France and Russia and forget the rest of them.

Wrote a nice long post detailing why yours was aload of shite then my computer froze and erased it all ffs couldn't be arsed typing it out again but in short the EPL has been dominated by 2 teams recently also and if you bothered to look you'd see la liga has plenty of quality outside of Real and Barca just take a quick look at how there season has started.

How many different spanish teams have been in the CL final in recent times.
How many from the EPL.
All four teams from EPL that make it to CL qualification regularly have made it to the final in recent years. And Spurs get to Quarters at the first time of asking. That just tells me its a better, deeper league.

If La Liga works for you mate, go fill your boots... its just not for me.

Valencia are my Spanish team, although I don't support them militantly, it's good to see them doing well considering how skint they are.

My mum lives out there if you were wondering why. I try and see them whenever I visit her. Shit stadium mind.

I'm a Barca "fan", now they're sweeping all before them, I tend to take less of an interest in them. Loved them from when Lineker joined. I loved Deportivo back in the day, I always like to go for the underdog.

Loving Levante's run this year....they haven;t lost yet (although I haven;t checked last nights scores), and didn't they beat Real.

I always like Racing a bit, especially when they had the young guy Serio Canales....what a player.

Back
Top Bottom