Lamela’s Legacy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
cesc-fabregas-erik-lamela.jpg

It seems the only thing longer than the debate around the Argentine between fans was his injury list.

Read article: https://thefightingcock.co.uk/2021/07/lamelas-legacy/

doubt that he will be remembered much in years to come too many injuries i think at the time he was our record signing put in effort all right but a certain yellow card generally followed .

This article focuses too much on his shithousery and yes this is a bit of what endeared him. But it was his effort levels when he got on the pitch which made us love him. He would bleed for Spurs and run himself into the ground for the team and the article barely touches on this. He did that when we were near top of the league and he did it when we were 7th.

This is what we will miss.

In the same category as Lewis Holtby in terms of legacy. Nice guy, but will soon be forgotten.
A bit more than Holtby but other than the rabona he was by and large a nothing player of very limited ability. He made up for it by his shithousery but agree - some kind of club legend he is not. I wish him well - seemed a nice guy overall

Positives

- never ever gave up

- knew the club, did everything to beat the likes of Woolwich and Chelsea

- great at pressing, tackling, driving forward and could provide great goals/assists when on form. He was also a player that didn’t hide from the ball.

Negatives

- Injuries. His body seemed to break down all the time and the way he played he couldn't always manage consecutive 90 mins. He had to be managed.

- decision making. He could be so frustrating releasing the ball too late or passing to the wrong player. He would do great work then let it down at the end by making a silly decision.

We have had better players and certainly fitter players but few who played as if they loved the badge as much as Lamela, despite not being a Spurs fan or even from this country. Good luck in Spain.

Positives

- never ever gave up

- great at pressing, tackling, driving forward and could provide great goals/assists when on form. He was also a player that didn’t hide from the ball.

Negatives

- Injuries. His body seemed to break down all the time and the way he played he couldn't always manage consecutive 90 mins. He had to be managed.

- decision making. He could be so frustrating releasing the ball too late or passing to the wrong player. He would do great work then let it down at the end by making a silly decision.

We have had better players and certainly fitter players but few who played as if they loved the badge as much as Lamela, despite not being a Spurs fan or even from this country. Good luck in Spain.
The positives were obvious but his tendency to hold onto the ball just frustrated the shit out of me every time I watched him.

I always referred to him as “Chaos”…..you always knew, especially when he came on as sub that the game was about to change direction one way or the other, usually for the better, because he was never brought on to see a game out but brought on to spark us into life….
Sadly never stayed fit enough to get a run 20 games out of him and see what he could truly do within the team…

doesnt get the credit he deserves imo. many games he came on and made a difference through his intensity alone! it gave the rest of the team a lift and a kick up the arse to work harder.

dont remember us ever being the soft shit we have been capable of being, with lamela out there that often.

Positives

- never ever gave up

Negatives

Asbo-fucking-lutely. Despite the cons, I'll really miss him. Had the temper of a mum in a fag shop and the haircut of her mate, but what a terrier. Especially last season when we had 5 or 6 shirkers at one point. Lamela would come on and you knew you were going to see some proper effort. Even if the game was gone, we'd at least see some gumption and grit. Sometimes, all you'd want is for him to stick it to one of the oppo, which he'd do. On the best days, he'd do that and nick some points.

I'm not sure who is going to replace him, but that character will be very noticeable by its absence.

I read somewhere that Lamela made more appearances for Spurs than Toby. Obviously there is a big differnce in minutes played but if this is true an interesting stat.

Probably Tody scored more goals though!

Back
Top Bottom