League Cup 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At its 2018 Summer Conference, EFL clubs have voted on a number of rule changes to next season’s Carabao Cup competition including the removal of extra time.

The rationale put forward by the EFL is that withdrawing the additional 30 minutes of play would directly address any additional fatigue issues that are occasionally caused when the midweek ties go beyond the traditional 90-minute period.

A statistical analysis was presented that demonstrated how almost 85 per cent of matches ended in normal time over a three-year period, without the additional period being required, and as a result clubs have supported the new approach.

In the event that scores are tied after 90 minutes, penalty kicks will be taken immediately to determine a winner. However, the format of penalties in the competition will revert to the traditional format after EFL clubs trialled the ABBA concept throughout the 2017/18 season. This will be applicable in all EFL competitions.

In addition to the on-field matters, clubs were also given the option to remove the seeding arrangements from the first two rounds of the Carabao Cup and the vote determined that this element will no longer feature. Round One will remain regionalised into North and South sections.

The EFL also confirmed that VAR can be used in next season’s competition at all fixtures played at a Premier League stadium.

Good decision to scrap extra time.

I always like the League Cup. Just because it gives us an opportunity to see some other players in action. A few years it saw us give time to Onomah, Winks, CCV, Edwards etc last season it saw us play Foyth and KWP.

So hopefully this year, whilst probably bottom on the list of priorities, I'm looking forward to seeing hopefully more youngsters get some games.

I wonder how this will effect the away goal in the semi final? It was always an odd one that it only counted after extra time.

I think a goon player once celebrated with the fans thinking they had gone through on away goals, whilst the other 21 players were lining up to kick off for extra time.

Just another sign of the Authorities (clubs) reducing the attraction of the 2 domestic cups. 5th Round of F A Cup moving to midweek the season after and no replay will also make it harder to play a strong side in that round with presumably premiership matches both before and after. Helps the likes of MC who can afford to have very talented players to fill all 20+ positions in their squad. For me it is sad to see.

Really must win a trophy next season going a DECADE without a cup is embarissing

Not that embarrassing
League cup win 1999. Finished 11th
Then league finishes of 12,9,10,14,9,5,5,11,8 - 1 more league cup win.

Don’t really want to go back to that thanks.

We are building something now. A club that can compete with Europe’s best again.

Enjoy what we have. I’m trying to be glass half full here.

Not that embarrassing
League cup win 1999. Finished 11th
Then league finishes of 12,9,10,14,9,5,5,11,8 - 1 more league cup win.

Don’t really want to go back to that thanks.

We are building something now. A club that can compete with Europe’s best again.

Enjoy what we have. I’m trying to be glass half full here.
Just because i'd like to win a cup dosen't mean I want to go back to the 90s!

Just because i'd like to win a cup dosen't mean I want to go back to the 90s!

Liking to win a cup and being embarrassed but not winning one are two entirely different things though.

I’d like to win a cup.

But I’m not that embarrassed if we don’t knowing how the club has moved forward the last few years.
The fact we are aiming for the league rather than the league cup is a great thing IMO.

That disrespect it then when they reach the final,win it then all of a sudden it’s a MAJOR honour,:gallashmm:
When Man City won it, the commentator kept referring as the first of their titles. Doesn't matter what competition it is - I want to win EVERY game, surely that should be the attitude of every professional.

When Man City won it, the commentator kept referring as the first of their titles. Doesn't matter what competition it is - I want to win EVERY game, surely that should be the attitude of every professional.

What so impressed me with City was how madly they celebrated at the final whistle. There was no "its only the league cup" they had won a cup final and celebrated in style - a winning mentality is priceless and we should be trying to win every and anything we can!

What so impressed me with City was how madly they celebrated at the final whistle. There was no "its only the league cup" they had won a cup final and celebrated in style - a winning mentality is priceless and we should be trying to win every and anything we can!
Exactly, but I bet if we had won it, we would have been ridiculed by all and sundry.

Really can't stand the league Cup. It's utter bollocks. We have the fa Cup a glorious competition. We have the league the ultimate test of your team. Then we have the champions league.

Why the fuck do we need another cup compitation. Fuck the whole sorry exercise of.

Really can't stand the league Cup. It's utter bollocks. We have the fa Cup a glorious competition. We have the league the ultimate test of your team. Then we have the champions league.

Why the fuck do we need another cup compitation. Fuck the whole sorry exercise of.
Don't pretend you wouldn't celebrate if we won it though

:levyeyes:

Third Round draw tomorrow at 7pm on Sky Sports.

Tottenham
Man City
Man Utd
Liverpool
Chelscum
Scum
Burnley
Leicester
Wolves
Palace
Wet Spam
Bournemouth
Southampton
Fulham
Everton
Watford
Blackburn
Derby
Preston
Middlesbrough
Stoke
West Brom
Brentford
Norwich
QPR
Forest
Millwall
Burton
Blackpool
Oxford Utd
Wycombe
Macclesfield.

Last edited:
Third Round draw tomorrow at 7pm on Sky Sports.

Tottenham
Man City
Man Utd
Liverpool
Chelscum
Scum
Burnley
Leicester
Wolves
Palace
Wet Spam
Bournemouth