Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur | Thursday 16 Dec | 19:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's the fact that you know a few footballers in 1998 to 2003 got to do with footballers that Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor was talking about in 1981?

Footballers may be 'stellar athletes' nowadays but that doesn't stop them being pampered wusses that don't know they're born.

I can't imagine Graham Roberts or Steve Perryman going over like a sack of spuds with minimal contact or whining to the ref to card a fellow professional.
Not arguing but my 50 pence:

I think Jose and the pressures of the modern game is to blame for some of this. His whole 'you guys are too nice,' spiel. I mean drogba was built like a brick shithouse but was a glass missile and yeah, he got stick obviously for it but also pens and free kicks.... which turn into points.

And the pressures of the modern game and the immediate results etc with Jose as manager for example. Again, it's fucking cringe to watch him making a fuss over not much but he's got to show his bosses that, I don't know, he's doing what he can at least.

It is embarrassing to watch players going down easy and dare I say it, less manly than previous generations, but the truth is while it will garner them respect amongst the fans, the manager would probably prefer a free kick... Especially when his job is on the line.

In the players defense tho, they run super fucking fast nowadays, crazy fast, and it doesn't take much to knock you over if your going full pelt. I doubt you'd see the old school players sprinting with that much effort or speed but again, they were also expecting crunching tackles so that could be another reason for their more gentlemanly, easier to stay upright pace.

Last edited:
That's when footballers were actually footballers and didn't pussy out with a 'slight twinge' and 'being fatigued' excuses.

Modern footballers don't know they're born compared to their predecessors.

I used to coach with a younger guy who was studying sports science and his friend worked for a top European club.

The difference between generations is Chalk and cheese so very difficult to properly compare. But remember him saying footballers in the 70s and 80s trained for about 1-2hrs a day max. And at a a pretty low intensity too. They actually had a pretty sedentary lifestyle.

So I don’t think they had it too hard either tbh.

This is guff too. The evolution you are talking about is organic so the players in the 90s and 80s would not have arrived via a time machine they would be used to that level of work. Platini Maradona Cruyf would still be exceptional in fact maybe better because better pitches and nutrition

Maradona would probably have been permanently banned with his recreational habits.

Guess he could be quite good mates with a certain Jack W though.

Question: if fans have to have covid passports to get into games then how can the players you go to watch not even have a single jab? Why arnt the players made to have the vaccination ? They are in a privileged position and know the impact of not being jabbed especially on fans when games are called off. The cost of travel and so on is not going to be covered by anyone. May be the players who have not been jabbed should be made to pay for the loss of money to fans when games are called off. They should be made to take a jab as an employment condition. Like they are in the nhs. Also may clubs should be made to publish stats on player vaccination status so fans know in advance of the players they support basically don’t give a fuck. In fact I’d like players who haven’t been jabb to come out and say why as their direct actions are having a huge impact on the game and fans especially.

Why do I have this strange feeling that Leicester have been padding out their covid numbers somewhat because what they've actually got is an injury crisis.

They've probably got one player that is positive, and he's taken about 10 tests and submitted them in various other players names.
I absolutely think this is what is happening and, if it was found to be the case, the league should deduct them a fuck ton of points for it.
Been saying this all along, injuries are part of the game. Heck, even non-covid illness is part of the game.
How many players for how many teams have missed games because they had normal flu or other illnesses? I remember Zokora had fucking malaria. We didn't postpone the games!

Question: if fans have to have covid passports to get into games then how can the players you go to watch not even have a single jab? Why arnt the players made to have the vaccination ? They are in a privileged position and know the impact of not being jabbed especially on fans when games are called off. The cost of travel and so on is not going to be covered by anyone. May be the players who have not been jabbed should be made to pay for the loss of money to fans when games are called off. They should be made to take a jab as an employment condition. Like they are in the nhs. Also may clubs should be made to publish stats on player vaccination status so fans know in advance of the players they support basically don’t give a fuck. In fact I’d like players who haven’t been jabb to come out and say why as their direct actions are having a huge impact on the game and fans especially.

Can't you still catch and transmit covid even if you're vaccinated ?

Why do I have this strange feeling that Leicester have been padding out their covid numbers somewhat because what they've actually got is an injury crisis.

They've probably got one player that is positive, and he's taken about 10 tests and submitted them in various other players names.

Bit difficult that seeing as you need to show your PCR test results officially to the Premier League...

They should have tried to get some cameras over there for that game and streamed it from the OS. Would have been a good alternative for some.

Don't see why more of the youth games aren't streamed tbh.... It can only help stir up further interest.

Back
Top Bottom