LEICESTER CITY VS TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR | WEDNESDAY 19 JANUARY 2022 | 19:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The more I look at that the more it seems that Harry's through ball was just a punt in the hope that Bergwijn's pace would get him unto it, because it's nowhere fucking near him...

Hence why it's called a through ball...

In FIFA terms it's the ball where you press triangle button, not the x button.

Just rewatched the game purely to analyse dispassionately and I have to say that it was an impressive performance for quite a number of reasons.

Firstly from an individual perspective, every single player on the pitch, including the subs, can pat themselves on the back for a consumately professional performance. I've picked out a few who's performance, for me, were standout though.
1. Harry Winks. I have to say that I felt he was excellent. Probably the best performance I've seen from him since he owned the midfield against Real Madrid. His through ball for the equaliser was excellent, he was progressive in the majority of his passing, was all over the pitch looking for the ball, the passing was incisive, his pitch awareness excellent and his vertical passing constantly dangerous. It just goes to show that when the movement ahead of him is on point, he has the tools to deliver. He's a player that I've noted has quietly improved since Conte came in and long may it continue.
2. Hojbjerg. Another that was all over the pitch and, despite some of the criticism he received in the match thread for some loose play on just 2 occasions, it could rightly be argued that he was the most influential player in the game. His diagonal passing was superb, from the pin point pass over the top to Reguilon on 56 minutes, to his diagonal ball over the top to Doherty which set up the second equaliser. Then the coup de gras in the dying seconds to not just cut out the pass, but then slide the reverse ball in to Kane in space which set up the winner. His positioning for the majority of the game was excellent, closing space, harrying players, getting his foot in, a superb performance overall that made him my MotM. It would have gone to Winks otherwise if he'd stayed on the pitch. Unlucky not to have a goal himself, maybe even 2 as he hit a pile driver that was destined for the roof of the net if it hadn't been blocked, and 2 "assists before the assist" passes for goals, his pass to Reguilon should have made that a hat trick.
3. Lucas Moura. Was a constant danger to Leicester for the entire 90 minutes, wherever he was on the pitch and whether he had the ball or not. His pressing was both intelligent and, more often than not, perfectly timed to exert pressure at the right time and in the right areas. I felt he had an excellent game and caused them panic whenever he was within 30 yards of their goal. Another who has really seemed to improve markedly since Conte joined us.
4. Davidson Sanchez. I honestly feel that he's steadily growing into a more mature CH and felt he showed that in this game. He marshalled the back line well, was vocal, strong in the tackle and commanding for the vast majority of the game. The only time he was really troubled was when Leicester stole the ball in midfield and broke quickly with overloads. Other than that I was impressed with him. There were some instances where his positioning, enabling him to cover and kill a dangerous situation before it really developed, reminded me of Ledley King in his prime. If he continues to display this development then we'll have the top quality CH we all felt he would be. Conte factor again.
5. Harry Kane. To be fair, a bit of a mixed bag when it came to his finishing. From the sublime with the goal, to the dire when ballooning over the bar when clean through. But he's another that is just getting better and better as the season has progressed, culminating in a through ball for the winner that we all waxed lyrical about when Hoddle was delivering them. I can't stress enough just how perfectly weighted and directed that ball was. Some have questioned Schmeickel here, but I really don't agree. A bit more weight on the pass and he would have been favourite, but it was perfect in that it allowed Bergwijn to take it without breaking stride, it drew the keeper but then left him indecisive about whether to stick or twist, effectively leaving him in no man's land. The rest of Kane's game though was exemplary. He too pressed intelligently, squeezing up to cut passing lanes when Moura was pressing the ball, worked hard making runs off the ball as well as dropping deep to receive and distribute.
6. Matt Doherty. I thought he had a cracking 45 minutes, was solid in defence and constantly overlapping dangerously. His "assist" for the 2nd goal might be a bit fortuitous, but he was there, he was aggressive and he made it happen because of that. Another who appears to be steadily improving under Conte.
7. Sergio Reguilon. Like Doherty, but for 90 minutes. Rarely exposed on the left, was unfortunate that his cover tackle fell luckily to Daka for their opener, and was a constant headache for Albrighton, who I don't really recall getting a cross in for the majority of the match. Could and should have had a goal and probably an assist too. There's still bark on the boy, but I still believe he will mature into a top class wingback.
8. Last, but in no way, shape or form least, Stevie Bergwijn. I've noted that, last injury apart, he's been making some great runs and getting into excellent positions, only for a combination of poor finishing or bad luck to deny him a goal. Not in this match though. He came on like a player looking to change the game rather than just take part in it. He had the same energy in the press as Moura and was as sharp as a tack throughout his cameo, epitomised by him getting his run started as soon as he saw Kane start to turn with the ball. The weight of the pass and the timing of the run both perfect. I am so pleased for the boy and really hope he stays fit and this game really kicks him on. He's said to be the most skillful player at the club, let's hope he gets to showcase that talent consistently.

Honourable mentions for Davies and Tanganga, both of whom I felt were mostly solid defensively, whilst both also provided some threat going forwards, Skipp for yet another mature, battling and even threatening performance, and even Lo Celso who I felt kept things ticking over without actually standing out. And then definitely Lloris, particularly for the save from Morrison low to his left after seeing it late. He did pull off another couple of saves from Morrison and Barnes, but those you'd expect any competent keeper to make.

Lastly, Antonio Conte. It is becoming more and more obvious, for those with the eyes to see, that his work on the training pitch is World class. Looking at the positioning of the players when Leicester had the ball, cutting passing lanes, pressing the ball in coordinated packs, high energy, progressive passing and movement, hard work and constant pressure. That was no accident, that is the result of hard, repetitious work on the training pitch. OK Leicester got 2 goals as a result of them countering a counter, but that is the risk which, when measured against the reward, is a worthwhile trade off. Yes Leicester had chances, but we had far more which, if we'd had the same fortune with them that Leicester had with theirs, we'd have been comfortable winners.

Hopefully, the performance is the rule rather than the exception as it will take an extremely good, or extremely lucky, team to beat us if we consistently perform like we did across that full 90 minutes.

Heard a couple of interesting stats on a pod today. That was the latest in PL history that anybody has come from behind to win. It was the six highest away XG in Premier League history, and the highest XG this season by anyone.

Heard a couple of interesting stats on a pod today. That was the latest in PL history that anybody has come from behind to win. It was the six highest away XG in Premier League history, and the highest XG this season by anyone.
I wonder where it ranks in top league history, not just Prem.

I've no doubt that there have been many comeback wins over the history of our top flight, but it must be right up there in ALL of English top flight history. 2 goals in the last 90 odd seconds to win. Take some beating that.

Hello, Leicester fan here, I have got to say that was one of the most mental away ends I have seen at Leicester when that 3rd goal went in. Genuine question, how did that compare to the winner at Ajax ?
The only consolation was, speaking to some Spurs fans on their way back to the station was that they left at 2 - 1.

Just rewatched the game purely to analyse dispassionately and I have to say that it was an impressive performance for quite a number of reasons.

Firstly from an individual perspective, every single player on the pitch, including the subs, can pat themselves on the back for a consumately professional performance. I've picked out a few who's performance, for me, were standout though.
1. Harry Winks. I have to say that I felt he was excellent. Probably the best performance I've seen from him since he owned the midfield against Real Madrid. His through ball for the equaliser was excellent, he was progressive in the majority of his passing, was all over the pitch looking for the ball, the passing was incisive, his pitch awareness excellent and his vertical passing constantly dangerous. It just goes to show that when the movement ahead of him is on point, he has the tools to deliver. He's a player that I've noted has quietly improved since Conte came in and long may it continue.
2. Hojbjerg. Another that was all over the pitch and, despite some of the criticism he received in the match thread for some loose play on just 2 occasions, it could rightly be argued that he was the most influential player in the game. His diagonal passing was superb, from the pin point pass over the top to Reguilon on 56 minutes, to his diagonal ball over the top to Doherty which set up the second equaliser. Then the coup de gras in the dying seconds to not just cut out the pass, but then slide the reverse ball in to Kane in space which set up the winner. His positioning for the majority of the game was excellent, closing space, harrying players, getting his foot in, a superb performance overall that made him my MotM. It would have gone to Winks otherwise if he'd stayed on the pitch. Unlucky not to have a goal himself, maybe even 2 as he hit a pile driver that was destined for the roof of the net if it hadn't been blocked, and 2 "assists before the assist" passes for goals, his pass to Reguilon should have made that a hat trick.
3. Lucas Moura. Was a constant danger to Leicester for the entire 90 minutes, wherever he was on the pitch and whether he had the ball or not. His pressing was both intelligent and, more often than not, perfectly timed to exert pressure at the right time and in the right areas. I felt he had an excellent game and caused them panic whenever he was within 30 yards of their goal. Another who has really seemed to improve markedly since Conte joined us.
4. Davidson Sanchez. I honestly feel that he's steadily growing into a more mature CH and felt he showed that in this game. He marshalled the back line well, was vocal, strong in the tackle and commanding for the vast majority of the game. The only time he was really troubled was when Leicester stole the ball in midfield and broke quickly with overloads. Other than that I was impressed with him. There were some instances where his positioning, enabling him to cover and kill a dangerous situation before it really developed, reminded me of Ledley King in his prime. If he continues to display this development then we'll have the top quality CH we all felt he would be. Conte factor again.
5. Harry Kane. To be fair, a bit of a mixed bag when it came to his finishing. From the sublime with the goal, to the dire when ballooning over the bar when clean through. But he's another that is just getting better and better as the season has progressed, culminating in a through ball for the winner that we all waxed lyrical about when Hoddle was delivering them. I can't stress enough just how perfectly weighted and directed that ball was. Some have questioned Schmeickel here, but I really don't agree. A bit more weight on the pass and he would have been favourite, but it was perfect in that it allowed Bergwijn to take it without breaking stride, it drew the keeper but then left him indecisive about whether to stick or twist, effectively leaving him in no man's land. The rest of Kane's game though was exemplary. He too pressed intelligently, squeezing up to cut passing lanes when Moura was pressing the ball, worked hard making runs off the ball as well as dropping deep to receive and distribute.
6. Matt Doherty. I thought he had a cracking 45 minutes, was solid in defence and constantly overlapping dangerously. His "assist" for the 2nd goal might be a bit fortuitous, but he was there, he was aggressive and he made it happen because of that. Another who appears to be steadily improving under Conte.
7. Sergio Reguilon. Like Doherty, but for 90 minutes. Rarely exposed on the left, was unfortunate that his cover tackle fell luckily to Daka for their opener, and was a constant headache for Albrighton, who I don't really recall getting a cross in for the majority of the match. Could and should have had a goal and probably an assist too. There's still bark on the boy, but I still believe he will mature into a top class wingback.
8. Last, but in no way, shape or form least, Stevie Bergwijn. I've noted that, last injury apart, he's been making some great runs and getting into excellent positions, only for a combination of poor finishing or bad luck to deny him a goal. Not in this match though. He came on like a player looking to change the game rather than just take part in it. He had the same energy in the press as Moura and was as sharp as a tack throughout his cameo, epitomised by him getting his run started as soon as he saw Kane start to turn with the ball. The weight of the pass and the timing of the run both perfect. I am so pleased for the boy and really hope he stays fit and this game really kicks him on. He's said to be the most skillful player at the club, let's hope he gets to showcase that talent consistently.

Honourable mentions for Davies and Tanganga, both of whom I felt were mostly solid defensively, whilst both also provided some threat going forwards, Skipp for yet another mature, battling and even threatening performance, and even Lo Celso who I felt kept things ticking over without actually standing out. And then definitely Lloris, particularly for the save from Morrison low to his left after seeing it late. He did pull off another couple of saves from Morrison and Barnes, but those you'd expect any competent keeper to make.

Lastly, Antonio Conte. It is becoming more and more obvious, for those with the eyes to see, that his work on the training pitch is World class. Looking at the positioning of the players when Leicester had the ball, cutting passing lanes, pressing the ball in coordinated packs, high energy, progressive passing and movement, hard work and constant pressure. That was no accident, that is the result of hard, repetitious work on the training pitch. OK Leicester got 2 goals as a result of them countering a counter, but that is the risk which, when measured against the reward, is a worthwhile trade off. Yes Leicester had chances, but we had far more which, if we'd had the same fortune with them that Leicester had with theirs, we'd have been comfortable winners.

Hopefully, the performance is the rule rather than the exception as it will take an extremely good, or extremely lucky, team to beat us if we consistently perform like we did across that full 90 minutes.
Too much positivity and rational analysis here - that will never do!
:sonpoint:

Hello, Leicester fan here, I have got to say that was one of the most mental away ends I have seen at Leicester when that 3rd goal went in. Genuine question, how did that compare to the winner at Ajax ?
The only consolation was, speaking to some Spurs fans on their way back to the station was that they left at 2 - 1.

For me it would about a third of the Ajax feeling.
The City VAR disallowed goal in the quarters was probably double the feeling of the Leicester game too. But it was good.. greedy amounts of good rather than relief though. A draw or defeat didn't damage us like it would have in those Champions League games.

Question in return, how did it feel signing that 'Tottenham get battered' song and 'its happened again' etc, like Chelseas little bitch boys after after the 3rd went in?

Spare a thought for Arcspace, Sammy and Airfixx who couldn't be with us this evening :contelol:

Enjoyed the game far more than anyone who was typing shit on here when Bergwijn scored

The Sin Bin actually serves a great purpose for down time, and makes you realise that the love you have for this club is easier to feel when you don’t relate it with morons on the internet

Enjoyed the game far more than anyone who was typing shit on here when Bergwijn scored

The Sin Bin actually serves a great purpose for down time, and makes you realise that the love you have for this club is easier to feel when you don’t relate it with morons on the internet
Good for you. Go away then😂😂

Geez welcome back butt!

No 'hi' or 'missed you all'?

Lucky I know I'm not one of those 'morons' of which you speak or I'd be sad.

It was really really great, but honestly a million miles from the feeling from the ajax game. That got us to our first CL final. 3 points is great but there is no comparison really. Also ajax was harder, whereas Leicester never deserved to be ahead.

Edit: and agree with that the City CL result was also a bigger high.

It was really really great, but honestly a million miles from the feeling from the ajax game. That got us to our first CL final. 3 points is great but there is no comparison really. Also ajax was harder, whereas Leicester never deserved to be ahead.

Ajax in some ways was less impressive, as it only needed one goal to turn a loss into a win.

I think people underestimate the significance of this Leicester result and the manner of it too.
If we'd lost that, we'd have lost 3 games in a row coming into this afternoons game against a team that always beats us there. Team confidence would have been in the floor, Conte would be moody, fans would be frothing at the mouth.
But those 2 goals turned an 8 game unbeaten run in the league into 9, showed huge character, proved that trying yields results, gave everyone a lift including players who thought they were surplus to requirements.
We may still get beat today, but we couldn't be going into the game in a better mood.
And should we win it even draw, it keeps that mood, momentum and unbeaten run going.

Back
Top Bottom