Leicester: The slide

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Everton showed last season how easy it is to get sucked into that relegation dog fight. There have been plenty of clubs who’ve gone down when everyone thought they were too big or too good to.

Not saying it’s deffo gonna happen to Leicester but if they don’t sort themselves out this season will be a slog for them.
Part of the problem is not being prepared for the battle as they don't see themselves as being in it until it's too late...

Fofana could be a bigger blow..... We've already seen how they struggle with a dent at CB.

Maddison was on fire last season, but they still had a poor season by their previous standards.

Vardy also a big factor, cos even if they're struglling creatively he's proven he can be effective in a pure counter-attacking, smash and crab set up.

By the above token, Maddison is somewhat of a luxury that they CAN afford to lose... Especially if it means having 60m to spend on a couple of decent players to cover his role.
🦀

Fofana could be a bigger blow..... We've already seen how they struggle with a dent at CB.

Maddison was on fire last season, but they still had a poor season by their previous standards.

Vardy also a big factor, cos even if they're struglling creatively he's proven he can be effective in a pure counter-attacking, smash and crab set up.

By the above token, Maddison is somewhat of a luxury that they CAN afford to lose... Especially if it means having 60m to spend on a couple of decent players to cover his role.

Chelsea alleged bid for Fofana at £75m turned down

If Leicester are going to sell Fofana, Maddison and/or any other player for big money this window, now would be the time so they have a couple of weeks left to buy a player or two to replace them - possibly with some £'s going to repay loans (part of reason why they need to sell)

Chelsea alleged bid for Fofana at £75m turned down

If Leicester are going to sell Fofana, Maddison and/or any other player for big money this window, now would be the time so they have a couple of weeks left to buy a player or two to replace them - possibly with some £'s going to repay loans (part of reason why they need to sell)

In additon to my above reasoning..... If I was them, I'd sell JM and keep Fofana as the CB market already seems fairly lean at this point in the summer.

Another good season and his price will hold anyway..... His deal runs to 2027!!!

Wheras JM will go for a snip if he's still around next summer. (final year)

I hate everything about Leicester. The bland, boring city. The inbred people. The hideous sports teams. All of them. Football, rugby and cricket. The epitome of a shit pointless chavvy English town. Curry is rubbish too. Just what is the fucking point of Leicester?

:wansum:
I beg to disagree had a good curry there once.

And not before time.

Horrible club with horrible Bingo worshipping fans who think using plastic clappers is cool.

Their fake attempt to forge a rivalry with us is embarrassing. One decent season doesn't mean you are worthy of becoming our rivals i'm afraid.
I would miss the 6 points each season but it would be worth it to see them disappear for good.

Losing another small pointless club would be no loss to the premier league.

It's going to be fascinating team spirit is poison thanks to Rebecca (Bikeshed)Vardy. Lost a massive leader in the goalkeeper. Money run out. Star players Maddison and Foffana desperate to leave. Managers both thick and vain....tick tick boom. Not sure they go down but certainly relegation battles ahead.

Danny Ward is a decent keeper, and Schmeichel is nearer 40 than 30 so a change had to come soon anyway.

Castagne , Soyuncu, Evans, Vestergaard, Justin, Barnes, Ndidi, Fofana, Soumare, Albrighton, Dewsbury, Iheanacho, Daka, Perez, Vardy ... they could sell Maddison and Tielemans and they are still nowhere near a relegation side.

That'll be fun too......

I just want a maximised fix of Brent-talk.

He's the OG.
Cue the final episode of Leicester All or Nothing 2024, Brendan Rodgers stuck in a Travelodge outside Kettering, after his Leicester sacking and subsequent rejection from taking over at Rushden & Diamonds

Danny Ward is a decent keeper, and Schmeichel is nearer 40 than 30 so a change had to come soon anyway.

Castagne , Soyuncu, Evans, Vestergaard, Justin, Barnes, Ndidi, Fofana, Soumare, Albrighton, Dewsbury, Iheanacho, Daka, Perez, Vardy ... they could sell Maddison and Tielemans and they are still nowhere near a relegation side.
Let us dream:pochcry:

What has happened with them?

I thought maybe it might have been a team that's overspent on transfer fees and wages in hope to get Champions League football (when they were pretty close to doing so twice) therefore couldn't really continue to improve on good league positions of the past which in turn has seen them fall behind other teams that have either spent smart or improved on managerial decisions.

But since 2016 when they won the league, they have managed to recoup £250,00,000 upon selling Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell. So I don't know if that's 100% the issue.

What has happened with them?

I thought maybe it might have been a team that's overspent on transfer fees and wages in hope to get Champions League football (when they were pretty close to doing so twice) therefore couldn't really continue to improve on good league positions of the past which in turn has seen them fall behind other teams that have either spent smart or improved on managerial decisions.

But since 2016 when they won the league, they have managed to recoup £250,00,000 upon selling Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell. So I don't know if that's 100% the issue.
Heavily reliant on owner money and it’s not sustainable.

Heavily reliant on owner money and it’s not sustainable.

How heavily reliant on owner money are they that separates them from the majority of other clubs in the league? Does that really explain the decline?

Since 2015 they've:

- Won the Premier League
- Won the FA Cup
- Finished 5th twice.
- Have a net spend of £145,000,000 since they won the league.

I'd know a few Tottenham fans who'd probably have taken that over the same period.

Looking on the surface, I'd probably argue that their problems stem from a lack of squad depth to make up with their lack of top top class talent and a coach that's too inept to take them any further. It seems silly to say considering the success Leicester have had since 2015, but I can't help but feel Rogers gives off huge Martin Jol vibes for them. He can be good at getting teams to play good football and I have no doubt he's probably a good coach on the training field, but he just seems to lack that little bit extra that Jol did when he was here.

How heavily reliant on owner money are they that separates them from the majority of other clubs in the league? Does that really explain the decline?

Since 2015 they've:

- Won the Premier League
- Won the FA Cup
- Finished 5th twice.
- Have a net spend of £145,000,000 since they won the league.

I'd know a few Tottenham fans who'd probably have taken that over the same period.

Looking on the surface, I'd probably argue that their problems stem from a lack of squad depth to make up with their lack of top top class talent and a coach that's too inept to take them any further. It seems silly to say considering the success Leicester have had since 2015, but I can't help but feel Rogers gives off huge Martin Jol vibes for them. He can be good at getting teams to play good football and I have no doubt he's probably a good coach on the training field, but he just seems to lack that little bit extra that Jol did when he was here.

as the man said 'heavily dependent upon owner financing as revenues don't finance the £145m net spend you quote....... and not to mention those players wages taking up too much (maybe 85%) of revenues so club loses money every day

Owner's source of income is duty free shops in airports ...... so when covid kills off flying for a couple of years, owner runs out of cash to fund his football club.

So only way forward is for club to fund itself by selling players..... but no players sold to date

as the man said 'heavily dependent upon owner financing as revenues don't finance the £145m net spend you quote....... and not to mention those players wages taking up too much (maybe 85%) of revenues so club loses money every day

Owner's source of income is duty free shops in airports ...... so when covid kills off flying for a couple of years, owner runs out of cash to fund his football club.

So only way forward is for club to fund itself by selling players..... but no players sold to date

Got it.

So basically they were also heavily reliant on Brendan Rogers getting his side Champions League football which he failed to do from favourable positions two years on the bounce.

Sadly I think they'll be fine

There's enough quality in that squad to at worst finish mid table and Rodgers is a decent manager

Back
Top Bottom