Let’s Talk About Yids

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Forgive me for rehashing old news. I need to get this off my chest. When Society of Black Lawyers chairman Peter Herbert called for an end to the use of the word “Yid” by Tottenham supporters, Spurs supporters’ reactions ranged from mild annoyance to outrage. Herbert’s claims particularly frustrated me. This isn’t merely an academic question: for me, being a Yid is intensely personal, and at the root of why I’m Tottenham till I die. I’m American, and I didn’t [...]

Continue reading...

Very much agree with this. It is a point of pride to me, that we stand up to the scum of Chelsea and Everton and say, 'Call some of us Yids and we're all Yids.'

Fair point - and it is important to note that the author is Jewish, because you can only take back an ethnic slur if you're somebody who would have been initially targeted by it - but I disagree with him regarding the word being a stand against anti-Semitism. Maybe in the past when Tottenham was a Jewish neighbourhood, yes, but not necessarily anymore. Not saying there's bigotry among the fans, but rather that I don't think the vast majority of Spurs supporters have ethnic solidarity in mind when they say "Yid."

Disclaimer: I'm a great big Jewy Jew too.

Let's tallk about yids, baby
let's talk about jews and me
let's talk about all the gentiles and the semites
that make spurs
let's talk about yids
let's talk about yids...

And that's what came into my head when I read the title of this forum.

Fair point - and it is important to note that the author is Jewish, because you can only take back an ethnic slur if you're somebody who would have been initially targeted by it - but I disagree with him regarding the word being a stand against anti-Semitism. Maybe in the past when Tottenham was a Jewish neighbourhood, yes, but not necessarily anymore. Not saying there's bigotry among the fans, but rather that I don't think the vast majority of Spurs supporters have ethnic solidarity in mind when they say "Yid."

Disclaimer: I'm a great big Jewy Jew too.

Personally I don't think Tottenham being a Jewish area has that much to do with it, we are still known as being a club with a sizable Jewish support and have (obviously) been targeted with anti-semitic abuse and continue to be, so I think it's still relevant regardless of how the area itself has changed.

It's impossible to get into people's heads and find out for certain what they have in mind when they say yid, I think that for some people it probably just means Spurs and nothing more, because they're unaware of the history behind it. However, that doesn't change the fact that the origin of the term as used by Spurs fans is one of anti-fascism.

Personally, as a non-Jew, I do have ethnic solidarity in mind when I say yid. I can vouch for others who think the same as me. However, I also think that some appeal of the word is because it is controversial. I don't mean that it used in a negative way, just that- even with positive or anti-fascist sentiments behind it- it is still clearly a word which is seen as "bad" or controversial by society's standards, and I think football is an arena where people are drawn to push the boundaries of acceptability and break taboos of what is respectable. I see this facet of football as a positive thing...an instinctive form of rebellion. A similar thing could be said for rap music and "nigger"; the word would probably have never been reclaimed by a black academic but in a cultural sense rap music is linked to rebellion and the desire to provide shock value.

I'd like to think that the day will come when "yids" recedes into the background and eventually disappears because society has matured, but I'm not optimistic.

No, Tottenham really isn't Jewish any longer, but that doesn't stop a great number of people from slurring Spurs exactly for that reason. In point of fact, one of the reasons that I started supporting Spurs is because a Brit at my college said I couldn't, "because they're just a bunch of fucking Jews."

I frankly had no idea. I just liked the style of play and the value spending for good players, much like the San Antonio Spurs. Now all I need is 4 EPL championships.

I refuse to believe the task is impossible.

I got the time...

that make spurs
let's talk about yids
let's talk about yids...

:bentley: DAMN YOU :bentley:

That is never going to leave my head.

that make spurs
let's talk about yids
let's talk about yids...

If that song didnt pop into your head when you opened this you don't know shit about sports.

You know the funniest thing about all this?
today's Tottenham as an area is about as un-JEWISH as you could get!

And yet still Chelsea/West Ham/Leeds fans hiss Gas chambers at us, probably cos they're too shit sacred to make any other more up-to date relevant racist comment about Tottenham that might result in a half decent spanking!

that make spurs
let's talk about yids
let's talk about yids...

I want Chaz and Dave to release this next time we get to the cup final.

Back
Top Bottom