Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
I quite like our kits this season, they are not shit.

Sesame Street Idk GIF
Dele looked like a God in the European home kit.

I think we have a very good 13 players. Our manager is just poor. He’s not awful but he’s not going to improve the squad. Put in a top manager with this group of players and we are easily 5th in the league.

I genuinely believe it all went tits up when qualified for the CL final on Madrid.
Poch lost his marbles, Kane started and Sissoko stuck his arm out.
None of these things happen and we win. CL winners and away we go, all the demons released, attracting new players, fans estactic.
Instead, they all happened and it all imploded and we have never recovered.
Players don't have that winning mentality, Jose was a shocking appointment and here we are.
Not sure what the solution is but until this team wins big, and I mean big, it ain't gonna be fun.

The most worrying aspect of it all though is I just cant see a way out for this squad.

Can anyone give me a credible explanation of how we are going to consistently win games by any competently achieving any of the following;
A) Press and not concede at the back?
B) Defend and play effectively on the break?
C) Play possession football and work the ball, break their lines and score?
D) Lump it up field and take our chances.
E) Any other recognised game plan?

We just look absolutely clueless at the moment. The passing has been horrendous. Literally champo level. No one believes in this team or this manager. I'm worried we are heading for a dark place. Because for all I don't believe they can do any of the above...... I am absolutely certain that they will not rise to a relegation battle, Not this lot.

I think we have a very good 13 players. Our manager is just poor. He’s not awful but he’s not going to improve the squad. Put in a top manager with this group of players and we are easily 5th in the league.

Leicester have a better, more balanced squad than we do. All we have on them is a couple of top level attacking players, the rest of our team is a cobbled together mess.

At best we have the sixth best squad. And that's very much up for debate still.

Jesus.

Do any of these numbers include the cost of building a stadium in that period? I’m not referring to the debt component which is fixed and paid over a long period, I’m referring to the equity. typically on these types of build there is a 25% to 30% equity component (banks won’t finance the whole thing). That is, THFC have to put in 25% to 30% of the project value (not just the construction value). ENIC made no loans for this equity component so this was funded by THFC - shirt sales, tickets, tv revenue, etc

You guys are looking at a 3-4 year period when Spurs made a major investment that will pay off over30-50 years. Is this whole forum full of brickies and milkmen? Does no one understand finance?

I bet half of the people who are angry about stupid shit online have not even been to a frigging game.
Question, did the club have to spend 1bn quid on a stadium?

Ugh. A few days to recover from getting my ass up in the morning to watch that. Turned it off before the third goal, and went back to bed. Back to these days hey.

Also, I'm starting to hate hearing "We had a great first half." Been getting on my nerves a damn week.
I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't give a shit about that, the game is 90 minutes long. If the games ended in the first half then we could've been champions at least twice in the last 5 years.

While I do appreciate the steps taken by Levy in hiring Paratici and the players we've signed, we're still short a midfield engine and a creative spark.

I thought it would be Dele once Jose was gone, but his creativity seems to continue the suffering of Mourinho's reign. My favourite thing about Dele was that he's a street baller on a grass pitch. Some of the things he managed to pull off in his younger years with us is stuff you'd usually only see on playgrounds. The problem with that is, when you pull it off, it's brilliant; when you can't, it makes you look like a utter dick. Which is totally fine with your mates on the playground, but Dele maturing as a player has killed that creativity, and in turn, his confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to Foden at city.

And my god, I still can't believe that were still talking about Moussa Dembele and not being able to replace him. Turning in to one of the most underrated players we've ever had, and that's with me rating him as one of the best midfielders I've seen play in a Tottenham shirt.

The cunts could always spent more but the potential gain from competitive success doesn't merit the risk .
They have reinvented football success by realising they can build there value assets by investing in infrastructure /franchise NFL , Safer and practically guaranteed . It is a remarkable achievement considering you don't have to win jack shit on the football pitch.

However even what we spend on the football side is incompetent and has little benefit to the first 11. Their twisted if somewhat comical charade of clubs attacking DNA either regards the fan base as cretins or just don't give a monkeys. The stadium overspend on NFL to accommodate, attractive will cost Spurs football dearly but make them more .

They are so bent that as custodians the future is uncertain, unrewarding but rest safely we should not do a Leeds .

The most worrying aspect of it all though is I just cant see a way out for this squad.

Can anyone give me a credible explanation of how we are going to consistently win games by any competently achieving any of the following;
A) Press and not concede at the back?
B) Defend and play effectively on the break?
C) Play possession football and work the ball, break their lines and score?
D) Lump it up field and take our chances.
E) Any other recognised game plan?

We just look absolutely clueless at the moment. The passing has been horrendous. Literally champo level. No one believes in this team or this manager. I'm worried we are heading for a dark place. Because for all I don't believe they can do any of the above...... I am absolutely certain that they will not rise to a relegation battle, Not this lot.
Ok some might say I am being optomistic but I truly can’t see there being any chance whatsoever of the current group being dragged into a relegation battle but the whole point of spending began what is a magnificent stadium was to eat at be very top table and here my realistic take on matters is that this group are a country mile from being in that position

Very few English clubs that have shelled out to build a new stadium have progressed. Yep many have had a decent year or two but to make that investment, those sacrifices worth while require year after year appearing in the CL , top 4 finishes that currently of course deliver those CL places and above all winning things.

The likes of Sunderland, Bolton, Reading, Wigan, Swansea and Cardiff all have lovely stadiums that hosted PL football and of course others still ply their trade in the top league clubs such as Woolwich, Brighton ,Brentford and indeed Southampton all invested heavily in rebuilds but other than Brighton and Brentford and Leicester ( who went into administration following their rebuild ) those three are having a purple patch none even including the first two I mention are really seeing an increase in their global fan base bought about by success which in turn generates more income or should I say the ability to negotiate bigger sponsorship deals due to more goods such a replica shirts being sold. In the case of Leicester their finances are a basket case and very soon matters at Leicester will unravel

The trouble is that the EPL is moving toward a big 4 and based on what I see Spurs are not close to getting past the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool and of course Chelsea. That also applies 100% likewise to Artetas arseholes

There is no point dwelling on the past pointing fingers at Abromavich and the Sheikh because we are where we are .

The focus has to be the here and now and let’s be honest I just can’t see progress being possible because breaking into that top 4 would require one to drop out and it would seem all the current Premier League that are in the CL have deeper squads and indeed player for player in all probability better starting 11s and all those clubs seem likely to continue strengthening

Its all well and good slapping each other on the back when Spurs fans stand back and say what a lovely stadium but without success on the pitch the enthusiasm and optimism that was evident when it opened will quickly evaporate unless some sort of tangible success is delivered.

Alas Spurs for me currently are in a group of clubs that are very much in the second tier. so anywhere from 5- 9 in terms of ranking

I think we have about 8 good players, some massive cracks and not enough depth. We need quality either as depth or in our best 11.

Back
Top Bottom