Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
I think Ancelotti actually rates him, so wanted him back at Madrid. I suspect that Bale maybe wanted to give another season at Madrid, possibly to patch it up a little with the club and leave on better terms... I don't know if that's true or not, but that might make some sense, because he left on bad terms last year and if I was him I'd want a good future relationship with a club like that who I'd played for for several years... and had some cracking times with.

...plus maybe at our end, he was expensive and Levy didn't think he'd be worth the effort, or it wasn't going to work out for everybody... I dunno?
If Madrid wanted him back then that was the end of it, presumably.

Fucking criminal letting Bale go back if there was a chance he'd have played another season.
but that's been the ENIC M.O over the years, criminal reckless abandonment of first team maintenance.

Him leaving with nobody coming in hasn't been discussed nearly enough. He got double figures in the league from a wide position, nobody we have in the squad replaces what he did from the right. Gil is one for the future, he is not going to come in now and score even half what Bale managed.

Honestly you could make a very good argument overall that the squad is weaker than last season. And some of our fans were saying we should be happy, to not moan about this window? Utterly disgraceful. This window was up there with the worst, and we've had some bad ones.

Him leaving with nobody coming in hasn't been discussed nearly enough. He got double figures in the league from a wide position, nobody we have in the squad replaces what he did from the right. Gil is one for the future, he is not going to come in now and score even half what Bale managed.

Honestly you could make a very good argument overall that the squad is weaker than last season. And some of our fans were saying we should be happy, to not moan about this window? Utterly disgraceful. This window was up there with the worst, and we've had some bad ones.
We've replaced Bale and Vinicius with nobody, the attack is most definitely much weaker. Feel like I moan about it all the time.

Mason is the only manager of the past 2 years or so who got our attack moving, there was interchange, it was like a pound shop Poch approach but it was superior to Jose and so far Nuno.
We had that under Jose in patches as well. Mason benefitted from players happy to be rid of Mourinho, some easy fixtures and actually playing Gareth Bale. We might get a sliver of it in the coming weeks if we take an active approach to games like we attempted yesterday.

Manager is still critical, you have Brighton in 4th and looking value for it with a weaker squad. They are far better coached. We can obviously significantly improve the squad but it pointless without a plan.
Just another great point to why that fucking dickhead running this club is incompetent…..Only took him 4 months to find the latest chosen one, who apparently knows our “identity”…..

I think knows our identity really means “the one who I’m willing to pay for and will shut the fuck up and be glad he has a job”…….I mean that is our identity these days…the identity of budget first at all costs…

To clarify I don't actually think not resigning Bale was a bad idea. He would've been a stopgap, and his wages are significant.

But it was blatantly obvious we needed another attacker to play from the right, who could contribute goals and assists and take the pressure off Kane & Son. To not bring in anybody aside from some kid who basically replaces Lamela .. it's just spitting in the face of the supporters.

It wasn't the worst... it just wasn't the best either... it was somewhere in the middle... we obviously don't have enough cash to splash on Neymar and Mbappe... However, I think some of what we did was useful. I think Romero and Gil could be our best signings. Royal could be OK and we let Aurier go. It wasn't a terrible summer, but it wasn't a Champions League winning summer unfortunately...

We've replaced Bale and Vinicius with nobody, the attack is most definitely much weaker. Feel like I moan about it all the time.

Attack is weaker, we've done nothing to sort our terrible midfield, and defensively whilst I do rate Romero and think he's got genuine potential, in the short term we basically swapped him for Toby .. if it's an upgrade it isn't a big one.

And jury out on whether Emerson is any better than Aurier. So far I prefer Tanganga on the right. The only position I think you could confidently say we've improved is our back up goalkeeper, which wow .. thanks ENIC.

Some of our fans just seemed happy we got rid of deadwood. But getting rid of players (mostly on frees or for a few pennies) does absolutely nothing if you don't replace them at all.

It wasn't the worst... it just wasn't the best either... it was somewhere in the middle... we obviously don't have enough cash to splash on Neymar and Mbappe... However, I think some of what we did was useful. I think Romero and Gil could be our best signings. Royal could be OK and we let Aurier go. It wasn't a terrible summer, but it wasn't a Champions League winning summer unfortunately...

It was objectively awful. There is a space in between signing Neymar and Mbappe and bringing in almost nobody who actually improves the team.

None of our issues were fixed. Some areas were actually weakened, and we were left with an unhappy star player who so far looks as if he'd rather be anywhere else. And if you add to that an extremely uninspiring managerial appointment, after the utter muppets in charge of the club cycled through about 1000 options...

We're in an absolute state.

Attack is weaker, we've done nothing to sort our terrible midfield, and defensively whilst I do rate Romero and think he's got genuine potential, in the short term we basically swapped him for Toby .. if it's an upgrade it isn't a big one.

And jury out on whether Emerson is any better than Aurier. So far I prefer Tanganga on the right. The only position I think you could confidently say we've improved is our back up goalkeeper, which wow .. thanks ENIC.

Some of our fans just seemed happy we got rid of deadwood. But getting rid of players (mostly on frees or for a few pennies) does absolutely nothing if you don't replace them at all.
Totally agree.

Though I was much happier than I should've been about Sissoko leaving.

We had that under Jose in patches as well. Mason benefitted from players happy to be rid of Mourinho, some easy fixtures and actually playing Gareth Bale. We might get a sliver of it in the coming weeks if we take an active approach to games like we attempted yesterday.

I think there was an article that said Mason trained them from memory of how Poch trained him. It was a pound shop Poch approach and not sustainable but it clearly demonstrates our players can play attacking football, press and play on the front foot if we choose to. If we are going to finish say 8th I want us to dare like our motto and try and play the right way, not be cowards.

It was objectively awful. There is a space in between signing Neymar and Mbappe and bringing in almost nobody who actually improves the team.

None of our issues were fixed. Some areas were actually weakened, and we were left with an unhappy star player who so far looks as if he'd rather be anywhere else. And if you add to that an extremely uninspiring managerial appointment, after the utter muppets in charge of the club cycled through about 1000 options...

We're in an absolute state.
Some areas were fixed though... we have generally improved and tidied up the defence. It may not be as good as 3 years ago, but it's probably going to be better than it has been more recently... We have also let some players go. That's some improvement. We haven't sorted out the midfield though and the attack may be worse without Bale. But in the context of 2021, it wasn't easy to find money for transfers, clearly. Kane looks a little lost at the moment, but there are 3 months till January, so he has time to recover himself, before we can let him go if it has to be like that, or he has an entire season. I can't believe that he's going to be down in the dumps the entire time. That won't do him any good and he'll want to improve again, if for nobody else but himself...

Some context is crucial.

Look at Barcelona. They are in a worse place than us and will take a long time to rise again.

We never reached such heights but neither should our dip be as deep.

The right manager was Potter for us for now and he may still be the preferred choice going forward, but for now Santo needs but won't get more time.

Next week is a bigger match than it should be for both clubs. We will lose.
Barcelona is only worst than us financially. In the rest they are miles above. Much much more talented players than us. Will still play champions league football for years and years

Fucking criminal letting Bale go back if there was a chance he'd have played another season.
but that's been the ENIC M.O over the years, criminal reckless abandonment of first team maintenance.

I have no problem letting Bale go, he helped us last year but had shown he couldn't be relied for 38 games and 90 mins.

The criminal part was not replacing him. It was an area of weakness already but a gaping hole once Bale left. Not bringing an RW with finishing ability should have been a sackable offense for both Levy and Paratici.

So in attack we lose Bale and Lamela and instead end up with a kid from spain who helped get his team relegated from la liga scoring a grand total of 4 goals. How we didnt buy another winger or striker makes no sense.

Barcelona is only worst than us financially. In the rest they are miles above. Much much more talented players than us. Will still play champions league football for years and years

Too many are missing the point I am obviously failing to articulate.

Yes maybe or undoubtedly but the height they attained to where they are now, compared to one final somewhat against the odds and top 4, to where we are currently?

I am not so sure the fall is greater for us, however badly it feels at present.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom