Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
I do feel a bit concerned about the lack of depth outside the first team. It's become particularly apparent in the games we've played in the ECL; the kids just aren't up to the job and we've had to put in first teamers who we would ideally be resting for league games just to get through them.

Even if we go back to the days of Martin Jol and Harry Redknapp, I don't think the playing squad was this bare. We had people who could do a job for us when we needed to rest the first team and that just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

The most worrying aspect of it all though is I just cant see a way out for this squad.

Can anyone give me a credible explanation of how we are going to consistently win games by any competently achieving any of the following;
A) Press and not concede at the back?
B) Defend and play effectively on the break?
C) Play possession football and work the ball, break their lines and score?
D) Lump it up field and take our chances.
E) Any other recognised game plan?

We just look absolutely clueless at the moment. The passing has been horrendous. Literally champo level. No one believes in this team or this manager. I'm worried we are heading for a dark place. Because for all I don't believe they can do any of the above...... I am absolutely certain that they will not rise to a relegation battle, Not this lot.
We have a large group of players who would not be out of place at Southampton. I can't see a way forward at the moment that doesn't involve nuking this squad and buying competent footballers who can cover the ground.

can you name the 13 good players?
Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

can you name the 13 good players?
Yes.
Kane
Son
Lloris
Romero
Hojbjerg
Lucas
Bergwijn
Gollini
Reguilon
Gil
Skipp
Dier
Rodon

Those are good players who if played under the right manager can be very good. We have goes to fill for sure but if you add some pieces and a better manager then we greatly improve.

Yes.
Kane
Son
Lloris
Romero
Hojbjerg
Lucas
Bergwijn
Gollini
Reguilon
Gil
Skipp
Dier
Rodon

Those are good players who if played under the right manager can be very good. We have goes to fill for sure but if you add some pieces and a better manager then we greatly improve.
Berg and Dier have been shit under numbers a few managers now - 0 hope

Yes.
Kane
Son
Lloris
Romero
Hojbjerg
Lucas
Bergwijn
Gollini
Reguilon
Gil
Skipp
Dier
Rodon

Dier has not been good in a looooong time. Even Mourinho his big admirer stopped playing him.

I genuinely believe it all went tits up when qualified for the CL final on Madrid.
Poch lost his marbles, Kane started and Sissoko stuck his arm out.
None of these things happen and we win. CL winners and away we go, all the demons released, attracting new players, fans estactic.
Instead, they all happened and it all imploded and we have never recovered.
Players don't have that winning mentality, Jose was a shocking appointment and here we are.
Not sure what the solution is but until this team wins big, and I mean big, it ain't gonna be fun.
Even if we had won the CL nothing would have changed levy would have thought the team didn't need any changes as it was good enough.
As for winning big can you honestly see this club achieving anything under ENIC certainly big.

I think we just need to temper our expectations for a year or two and see what Paratici can come up with. Enjoy the fun games and suck up the tears when we flake out for now and wait for this (at present half-finished) ‘painful rebuild’ to come to fruition.

Yes.
Kane
Son
Lloris
Romero
Hojbjerg
Lucas
Bergwijn
Gollini
Reguilon
Gil
Skipp
Dier
Rodon

What's your yardstick for saying these are good players?
If your yardstick is comparing them to the players that the current top 4 clubs have then they don't stack up, if your yardstick is Southampton quality players then yeah they are good in that context.

How many of our players get in Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea's side right now?

I have it at 1-2 at best

Yes.
Kane
Son
Lloris
Romero
Hojbjerg
Lucas
Bergwijn
Gollini
Reguilon
Gil
Skipp
Dier
Rodon

Including Dier, Bergwijn, Lucas, Rodon, Gollini means you are using a very broad definition of good. None of those guys come close to starting for a top 6 club and I don’t think any of them make Liverpool, Chelsea or City’s bench. Maybe they squeak into the bench for United or Leicester.

Gil might be good in the future but for now is not PL level quality.

What's your yardstick for saying these are good players?
If your yardstick is comparing them to the players that the current top 4 clubs have then they don't stack up, if your yardstick is Southampton quality players then yeah they are good in that context.

How many of our players get in Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea's side right now?

I have it at 1-2 at best
1-2 is about right. Winks, Doherty...cant think of anyone else.

Our squad is shit. If most of those players played for rival clubs you'd laugh at them and be against us signing them.

100%

I will use the golden boy Moura as an example.

What we need is more creativity and scoring, if I told you we were looking at bringing in a 29 year old with 3 and 4 goals the past two seasons and zero ability to pass you would tell me to fuck off with that stupid idea. Fans would rate that potential transfer 0/10 if they are being honest but now people want him as one of the first names in the starting 11.

100%

I will use the golden boy Moura as an example.

What we need is more creativity and scoring, if I told you we were looking at bringing in a 29 year old with 3 and 4 goals the past two seasons and zero ability to pass you would tell me to fuck off with that stupid idea. Fans would rate that potential transfer 0/10 if they are being honest but now people want him as one of the first names in the starting 11.
But it's not about how many goals you score, it's what you contribute to the team.

Back
Top Bottom