Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
100%

I will use the golden boy Moura as an example.

What we need is more creativity and scoring, if I told you we were looking at bringing in a 29 year old with 3 and 4 goals the past two seasons and zero ability to pass you would tell me to fuck off with that stupid idea. Fans would rate that potential transfer 0/10 if they are being honest but now people want him as one of the first names in the starting 11.
Spot on. He’s in the bin with Winks and Doherty

But it's not about how many goals you score, it's what you contribute to the team.
He’s an attacker / number 10, not a DM

I agree with the point about contribution > goals, but those contributions are pitiful considering his position. He’s like a shit Raheem S, plays for him self and doesn’t form part of a cohesive, style of play so couple that with the low numbers and it’s stark

But it's not about how many goals you score, it's what you contribute to the team.

He doesn't contribute to the team though. He doesn't provide assists, he doesn't create chances.

And when the team desperately needs goals and you are an attacker and don't provide goals that is a problem.

He doesn't contribute to the team though. He doesn't provide assists, he doesn't create chances.

And when the team desperately needs goals and you are an attacker and don't provide goals that is a problem.
There are exceptions… players like Zola, Berkamp and even Kanoute weren’t prolific but their contribution was high

Last edited:
So you think 10 teams will finish above us NAME THEM

I think that Chelsea, Liverpool, United, City all easily finish ahead of us. I don't think that is debatable or really in question they are clearly better.

I think Leicester as well is clearly better but more at risk of falling due to lack of depth, but I would bet on them finishing above us.

Then you have teams like Everton, WH, Brighton, Villa and even Woolwich that could all finish ahead of us.

That is 10 teams right there and that doesn't even consider a "fluke" team that has everything go right for them this year like it did for Leeds last year that go jump up.

Again not guaranteeing they finish above us but I don't think any of those teams finishing ahead of us should be looked at as a surprise.

100%

I will use the golden boy Moura as an example.

What we need is more creativity and scoring, if I told you we were looking at bringing in a 29 year old with 3 and 4 goals the past two seasons and zero ability to pass you would tell me to fuck off with that stupid idea. Fans would rate that potential transfer 0/10 if they are being honest but now people want him as one of the first names in the starting 11.
He's like a Brazilian Nathan Redmond.

There are exceptions… players like Zola, Berkamp and even Kanoute weren’t prolific but their contribution was very, very high

There's a very good reason none of the current top 4 have a single attacking option (who plays regularly) that offers numbers as terrible as either Bergwijn or Lucas Moura.

Most of them have players who do better at the things Moura is good at, and also score goals and assist. He's not some conductor or a player offering something crucial, he's just your bog standard head down wide player, there's usually a good handful in the league.

He has his uses, and is a useful squad player. But if the aim is to get back to competing for the top four, we need significantly better players to be starting.

I think that Chelsea, Liverpool, United, City all easily finish ahead of us. I don't think that is debatable or really in question they are clearly better.

I think Leicester as well is clearly better but more at risk of falling due to lack of depth, but I would bet on them finishing above us.

Then you have teams like Everton, WH, Brighton, Villa and even Woolwich that could all finish ahead of us.

That is 10 teams right there and that doesn't even consider a "fluke" team that has everything go right for them this year like it did for Leeds last year that go jump up.

Again not guaranteeing they finish above us but I don't think any of those teams finishing ahead of us should be looked at as a surprise.
That assumes we don’t ‘go big’ in the January transfer window
:levylol:

but it wasn't actually going that badly under Lampard and with more time, perhaps he could have become a good long term coach at Chelsea... he was the perfect fit and had assembled a very good team, which needed more time to settle, as newly built teams often do
This is revisionism. It was going badly, that Marina lady and the board are responsible for recruitment, and Lampard was clearly out of his depth. And if the team "needed more time to settle" under Lampard they sure as hell settled pretty quickly under Tuchel...same players, different manager.

Teams only "need more time to settle" when things are going a bit shit. No one was calling for Chelsea to 'settle' after Tuchel arrived. The same thing was going on when Mou was here and the team wasn't 'settled' as per the cries of the MouAnon and Happy Clappers. We aren't 'settled' because it looks as if NES is out of his depth and many of our players are not that good...two things many of us knew before this season even got going.

But I agree with your point about riding it out with NES for bigger picture implications.

Last edited:

If you are thinking of ending it all, there's always Switzerland !

Same faces still at the club expecting different results. Time is up for the likes of dele,dier,Sanchez,winks etc. It was a shit transfer window but time to get the likes of rodon,skipp,gil in and try to change this team around a bit because these players have been letting us down for far too long and still get picked.

I wasn’t super optimistic but thought we would may have a better season than a lot of others were thinking. I figured we’d have a general mix of good performances coupled with typical Spursy ones mixed in.

This level of shit has really caught me off guard. We are so much worse than I ever thought we’d be.

This is revisionism. It was going badly, that Marina lady and the board are responsible for recruitment, and Lampard was clearly out of his depth. And if the team "needed more time to settle" under Lampard they sure as hell settled pretty quickly under Tuchel...same players, different manager.

Teams only "need more time to settle" when things are going a bit shit. No one was calling for Chelsea to 'settle' after Tuchel arrived. The same thing was going on when Mou was here and the team wasn't 'settled' as per the cries of the MouAnon and Happy Clappers. We aren't 'settled' because it looks as if NES is out of his depth and many of our players are not that good...two things many of us knew before this season even got going.

But I agree with your point about riding it out with NES for bigger picture implications.
I disagree that this is revisionism. It wasn't going that badly, but maybe it wasn't good enough for Chelsea, who are usually uncompromising with their managers. Chelsea had previously had a transfer ban and were having to rebuild after a season of no signings. We know what that's like, as it happened under Poch, except we weren't banned from transfers. In Lampard's first season, he exceeded expectations finishing 4th and getting CL football, with a young team and no signings. The next summer new signings were made, some of which were good. The newly assembled team settled quickly under Tuchel, because they'd already been working it out for several months under Lampard. Tuchel wasn't hit with signings freshly arriving from abroad, they'd already been playing together for several months. There are all sorts of examples of players coming over here from overseas, who take time to settle. Lamela didn't exactly set the place alight in his first season, but eventually became a pretty decent member of the team. Also, Tuchel is a good coach and has done an astounding job, although he was blessed with a decent team.

This club is a shambles, a bit like the pathetic showing from Anthony Joshua and the ryder cup bottlers.. .luckily I hate the boring grandad game of golf, which is not a real sport if oops can play and compete with 20 somethings..but just like us they have no winning mentality or fighting spirit.
Pathetic....all of them..........

Back
Top Bottom