Levy / ENIC OUT? New Poll 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ENIC / Levy Out?

• Total voters
Well that is up to you of course but if the club were spending that type of money, then we would be successful left, right and centre shame that you would wish to miss it.

We probably would be, but the purity is lost. A big reason why I lost a love for the NBA. Superteams get boring.

Liverpool have spent exactly "Whatever It Takes Pounds"

They had it, they knew they had it, and they spent more than Spurs' record transfer fee on a goalkeeper, and a net spend of almost 150 million in one window because that's what was necessary to kick on.

We were in that position once. But no longer. It's a MUCH more expensive rebuild now if we're ever to sniff the PL title, which is transparently not the intention of our ownership so it's not even really worth talking about.

But even a real cup threat looks a nine figure sum that doesn't start with a 1 away on today's evidence.

Again that is just the financial reality of the Premier League in 2020. Put up or shut up, the Business Fairy isn't coming to console you.

They bought well with the money the received from the Coutinho money. They bought very well in fact. Credit to their scouting system which is apparently built around analytics, like baseball.

We had that chance with the Bale money and whiffed mightily.

They haven't been a City, Chelsea, Man U when it comes to outflow each year. They have been rather pragmatic in their approach.

We can only blame ourselves for that, which I guess is what this thread is about.

I'm curious.

Those that are crying for ENIC/Levy to leave, who would you have take over?

Would you hope for a Sheik or a Russian oligarch? A Bezos or a Gates? A Blackrock or a Vanguard Group?

Seriously interested.

I'm curious.

Would you hope for a Sheik or a Russian oligarch? A Bezos or a Gates? A Blackrock or a Vanguard Group?

Seriously interested.

Hard to say who exactly because you never know how people/organizations will act but I would say ideally a Bezos/Gates that has interest in football so are buying it out of interest to be an owner rather than seeing it as a vehicle to make money ala Kroenke.

I think if you can get an owner like that you get the best of both worlds in terms of endless money and an interest to look at success as more than a line on a financial sheet.

I am not sure if there are owners like this in European football but I know in US sports I would use examples like Mark Cuban, Steve Balmer in the NBA. They aren't silly with money (and can only do so much with the salary limits the league has) but they will spend money to make their teams more competitive than other teams.

Getting in an investment firm like Vanguard just seems to be replacing one money focused group for another. I guess you could hope that they would see that consistent CL football is the best way to make money so would be willing to make moves to get that rather than settle for a mediocre side like our current management have done and I think they could easily improve on Steve Hitchens so that would be a positive, but overall I think we would get similar results with a focus on money not on field success that we currently have.

I also wouldn't be as opposed to a Sheik as others. If it meant winning I have to be honest and say I would take it. I'm not going to lie and try to act as I have superior morals or some sort of righteousness that I would turn my back. I would be right there cheering and fist pumping if we won after a transfer window outlay of 350 m based on our shady sponsorship deal with Saudi Air or Uzbekistan Petrochemicals.

I'm curious.

Seriously interested.
Does it have to be a mega owner?

What I mean is why not just a chairman who “trusts” footballing people to do the “footballing” things? as an alternative.....Sugar was too involved in the playing side and hadn’t a clue, and Levy obviously hasn’t a clue, does any chairman really? So a chairman who can keep the club afloat, hand his or her directors of (insert here) an annual budget and stay the fuck out of footballing things...

We probably would be, but the purity is lost.

I just can't fathom the idea that winning sacrifices purity and cheese rooms don't.

Like, I can factually describe the ideology that gets you there, and I know how deeply felt that ideology is among lots of football fans Spurs and otherwise, but honestly it's like talking to someone with lobsters coming out of their ears.

There is not a single club in the world that have prostrated at the altar of Corporate Football more than Tottenham Hotspur. Not one.

They bought well with the money the received from the Coutinho money. They bought very well in fact. Credit to their scouting system which is apparently built around analytics, like baseball.

We had that chance with the Bale money and whiffed mightily.

They haven't been a City, Chelsea, Man U when it comes to outflow each year. They have been rather pragmatic in their approach.

That they've created a juggernaut more cheaply and effectively than City did is as you say a tremendous credit to their scouting department and backroom staff, and indeed Klopp as well.

But what is relevant to this conversation is that they DID go full Sheik Mansour when it was necessary to complete their super team. Maybe their project doesn't involve doing that forever, who knows. I do think they will start to come back to the pack as this group inevitably grows stale.

But they went all-in cash crazy over the odds at the moment it was required to take the final step. Their project was winning and they did what it took to complete their project.

What I mean is why not just a chairman who “trusts” footballing people to do the “footballing” things? as an alternative.....Sugar was too involved in the playing side and hadn’t a clue, and Levy obviously hasn’t a clue, does any chairman really? So a chairman who can keep the club afloat, hand his or her directors of (insert here) an annual budget and stay the fuck out of footballing things...

It could genuinely be much worse so I tend to be much less #LevyOut than the others who take a clear-eyed view of the situation.

I do wonder whether a more modern, professional operation could do more with the current amount of funding, though I am also hopeful that with these recent moves Levy is waking up to that possibility too.

I think it has to be somewhat of a mega owner to be able to afford the cost it would take to buy Spurs.

I am sure there is a valuation out there but I have to think we are talking Billion/s when taking into consideration the stadium as well.

That they've created a juggernaut more cheaply and effectively than City did is as you say a tremendous credit to their scouting department and backroom staff, and indeed Klopp as well.

Isn't their transfer team headed by Mike Edwards and some other guy, both of whom worked for us?
I wonder why they left...
:levystare:

I think it has to be somewhat of a mega owner to be able to afford the cost it would take to buy Spurs.

I am sure there is a valuation out there but I have to think we are talking Billion/s when taking into consideration the stadium as well.
That’s gonna be our biggest challenge, selling this thing due to its sheer cost....

I think it is time. When you sack a man like Poch, bring on one of the most successful Managers in modern times & still look like an under 12 B team in their first game together it is time to start raising an eyebrow.
Trouble is, we will be worth top dollar to Levy. It’s all in place. Best ground. Massively overvalued squad. Players with no competition (yes Kane, I’m looking at you) worth 100’s of millions apparently.
Who would actually want us as a project? No value in it for a buyer wealthy enough to buy the club unless it’s filthy money laundering. Spend over a billion to buy us and throw another billion at the squad?
I’d wiped the slate clean for everyone today but that was fucking tragic. Utterly dreadful. We need to shape up quickly because this could get embarrassing very quickly. As I said in the match thread. I won’t lose my shit so early in a season, but if we are getting dry humped at home by the likes of Everton. then something has to change sharpish
Baffled by how a team could look so stale and bereft of ideas on the opening day.

I just can't fathom the idea that winning sacrifices purity and cheese rooms don't.

Like, I can factually describe the ideology that gets you there, and I know how deeply felt that ideology is among lots of football fans Spurs and otherwise, but honestly it's like talking to someone with lobsters coming out of their ears.

There is not a single club in the world that have prostrated at the altar of Corporate Football more than Tottenham Hotspur. Not one.

But what is relevant to this conversation is that they DID go full Sheik Mansour when it was necessary to complete their super team. Maybe their project doesn't involve doing that forever, who knows. I do think they will start to come back to the pack as this group inevitably grows stale.

But they went all-in cash crazy over the odds at the moment it was required to take the final step. Their project was winning and they did what it took to complete their project.

It could genuinely be much worse so I tend to be much less #LevyOut than the others who take a clear-eyed view of the situation.

I do wonder whether a more modern, professional operation could do more with the current amount of funding, though I am also hopeful that with these recent moves Levy is waking up to that possibility too.

I hear you my friend. There is no difference between what THFC is now and what they could be under an oil Czar. It's all the same when comparing ultra wealth to ultra wealth and how the purity of the game has changed. But that would be my last straw and I would go to follow a lower league team.

I agree - off the field he's fine, but football wise he's had so many howlers. Bad appointments, lack of backing at critical times. He's risk averse when it comes to signings but then lobs out 15m/year on a dinosaur.
Levy isnt stupid. Bribing the manager with a huge wage is much cheaper than actually having a to spend big on players.

I think it is time. When you sack a man like Poch, bring on one of the most successful Managers in modern times & still look like an under 12 B team in their first game together it is time to start raising an eyebrow.
Trouble is, we will be worth top dollar to Levy. It’s all in place. Best ground. Massively overvalued squad. Players with no competition (yes Kane, I’m looking at you) worth 100’s of millions apparently.
Who would actually want us as a project? No value in it for a buyer wealthy enough to buy the club unless it’s filthy money laundering. Spend over a billion to buy us and throw another billion at the squad?
I’d wiped the slate clean for everyone today but that was fucking tragic. Utterly dreadful. We need to shape up quickly because this could get embarrassing very quickly. As I said in the match thread. I won’t lose my shit so early in a season, but if we are getting dry humped at home by the likes of Everton. then something has to change sharpish
Baffled by how a team could look so stale and bereft of ideas on the opening day.
Actually, any one wants to run the club only needs to buy out Levy....Old Joe can sit tight....

How funny would trolling Levy be in a take over, offer him 300m then at the last minute offer him 200, then 195, 190, 180, SOLD!!

Why do this? Its a futile question whether ENIC should be in or not. They are, end of discussion.

Last I saw we are valued at 1.6 billion, up significantly from years ago. Profits are up. But Levy and Lewis should go because TFC has a poll. This is Spammer level stuff.

Does anyone seriously think they can force owners out by an online poll, a march of 9 people, or fans protesting? How has it worked against the Glazers? GSB?
It is all a pointless question.

Aside from the new stadium, everything about the club is stale, from ownership, the manager and the players. It remains to be seen if the backroom restructure with Hitchen brings about any changes with our scouting and player management, but I won‘t be holding my breath.

No melting yet, but poor, insipid performances against Plovdiv, Southampton and Newcastle (I’ve set aside the EFL Cup tie as a fixture congestion problem), and we’ll see what happens. Bleak stuff really.

Why do this? Its a futile question whether ENIC should be in or not. They are, end of discussion.

Last I saw we are valued at 1.6 billion, up significantly from years ago. Profits are up. But Levy and Lewis should go because TFC has a poll. This is Spammer level stuff.

Does anyone seriously think they can force owners out by an online poll, a march of 9 people, or fans protesting? How has it worked against the Glazers? GSB?
It is all a pointless question.
Gonna guess the fans at the ground today with the Levy out banner aren’t members of this forum......

An empty stadium post covid restrictions could force any owners out....Man Utd fans are addicted to castle grey skull they couldn’t stay away....truth be told they hadn't the stomach for it and just dined on success for the past 20 years, give Utd fans 10 years of flirting with the top 4 instead of challenging for silver and the Glaziers may be gone before we know it...

Aside from the new stadium, everything about the club is stale, from ownership, the manager and the players. It remains to be seen if the backroom restructure with Hitchen brings about any changes with our scouting and player management, but I won‘t be holding my breath.

No melting yet, but poor, insipid performances against Plovdiv, Southampton and Newcastle (I’ve set aside the EFL Cup tie as a fixture congestion problem), and we’ll see what happens. Bleak stuff really.
Can’t blame the manager (as much as I’d like to)
We replaced a nearly man, who I admired immensely for his efforts, with a bona fide winner. He’s not even had a year yet and has been gifted players like Gedson and Hart. It’s time for the club to back their choice of manager with the pegs that fit the holes rather than keep sacking the gaffer when he can’t polish a turd or even roll it in glitter

Can’t blame the manager (as much as I’d like to)
We replaced a nearly man, who I admired immensely for his efforts, with a bona fide winner. He’s not even had a year yet and has been gifted players like Gedson and Hart. It’s time for the club to back their choice of manager with the pegs that fit the holes rather than keep sacking the gaffer when he can’t polish a turd or even roll it in glitter

I'm trying to keep an open mind with Jose but what I saw on the pitch and with the line-ups yesterday was just not encouraging. I don't expect him to work miracles but am hoping for signs that he is at least effective. I will wait and see how we do and how we play for the next few games.

I can't help but think this season if it fails then the whole structure collapses. ENIC will see it as financially prudent to get out before the squad stars demand transfers and the fans revolt.
Now I know we've joked about Jeff Bezos but after his company's recent documentary he will have a good insight about the workings of a Premier club. I'm sure he will have had the chance to see every bit of film, not just the edits that we watch.
Maybe, just maybe (let me dream here) he will decide to try his hand at owning a club. The ground is not a concern so it's basically the right manager and players to complement it. That requires good advice and loads of cash. He has access to both.
Just a thought to cheer myself up after a weekend that sees Woolwich go top and Spurs make 17th spot.
Yes nurse, I'll go back to my ward now.

Back
Top Bottom