Levy / ENIC OUT? New Poll 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ENIC / Levy Out?

• Total voters
Bale on loan for one season and no striker and the ENIC in votes still comes in. It's too easy for them.
I get the desire for a decent second striker but personally I'd much rather spend any money we have on a quality experienced defensive midfield player ... we just scored five with Bale not even in the squad, do you see scoring goals still being a big problem for us?

We have the EPL's most lethal strike pairing in Son and Kane, so if we sign a decent striker would you drop either one of them for our new signing?

If one of Bale - Kane - Son gets injured we will play with a front two, if in the very unlikely event two of our front three get injured at the same time, then we have Clarke, Moura, Lamela, Bergwin, Dele to fill the gap.

In twelve months with luck we will have Parrot on the bench as well ...

So how much do you want to spend on a player who would imo barely kick a ball in the EPL this season?

I get the desire for a decent second striker but personally I'd much rather spend any money we have on a quality experienced defensive midfield player ... we just scored five with Bale not even in the squad, do you see scoring goals still being a big problem for us?

We have the EPL's most lethal strike pairing in Son and Kane, so if we sign a decent striker would you drop either one of them for our new signing?

If one of Bale - Kane - Son gets injured we will play with a front two, if in the very unlikely event two of our front three get injured at the same time, then we have Clarke, Moura, Lamela, Bergwin, Dele to fill the gap.

In twelve months with luck we will have Parrot on the bench as well ...

So how much do you want to spend on a player who would imo barely kick a ball in the EPL this season?
My thinking was that PEH was supposed to be a DM but that's clearly not the case. I'm not the manager, Mourinho will decide how he wants to use the striker. If Levy does not agree with buying a new striker he should sack Mourinho and become manager himself.

All the chips are on Parrott but perhaps in 12 months Kane won't want to be here that brings a whole set of new problems.

My thinking was that PEH was supposed to be a DM but that's clearly not the case. I'm not the manager, Mourinho will decide how he wants to use the striker. If Levy does not agree with buying a new striker he should sack Mourinho and become manager himself.

All the chips are on Parrott but perhaps in 12 months Kane won't want to be here that brings a whole set of new problems.

I'm with you on PEH he is not and never has been a DM, he is the player who plays alongside or in front of the DM whose job is to disrupt the oppositions midfield. We won't see the best out of him unless we put a good DM alongside or behind him. Poor lad will get pelters all season if he's used in the wrong way.

Saying Mourinho will decide is a bit of an easy out - Mourinho has Bale, Kane and Son to fit in already, I'm pretty sure he's partly winding us up with his 'must have' striker media spin.

It may be he wants Dele out and a new Striker in ... he could then play 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Bale, Kane and Son all behind his new Striker ... imagine that rotating front four ... the issue with that is it leaves us with just six proper defenders and that's never been Mourinho's style, not to mention the 300m of midfield talent now confined to the bench.

In twelve months Bale could be back at RM, Son could be on his way to Barca and Kane to PSG ... Parrot may have bombed at Millwall and our new Striker could have scored 1 in 35 appearances ... but let's hope not.

Finally signing a decent player in 2 years (on loan as pure chance and he's even injured to begin with) - that's his job - to sign quality players. We need a striker and a CB urgently - Bale a nice bonus

I know that, retrospectively, Ndombele hasn’t been great, but did you not feel that he was a good (and statement) signing at the time? Bergwijn also got done for a decent fee and can’t be slated as a flop (yet...)

Bale hasn’t kicked a ball for spurs since his return, so surely you can’t be sure he’s a good signing yet either?

I am neither an Enic fan-boy or hater, but fair dos...

I am guilty of being frustrated with the nature of our transfer dealings, but am also able to temper that frustration with an understand that I am a complete ignoramus in that field, so reserve anything too scathing, especially when we are actually making signings.

There is a bit of a “more more more” about some supporters and especially among the ENIC out party. But look, we all want the best for THFC and some people are more trepidatious than others and I think that is simply the crux of the issue. I’d love a cuntload of big name signings at all times too... but am also the type of person that would think - what happens if they all end up Soldados and we do our arse in over a short period?

I'm with you on PEH he is not and never has been a DM, he is the player who plays alongside or in front of the DM whose job is to disrupt the oppositions midfield. We won't see the best out of him unless we put a good DM alongside or behind him. Poor lad will get pelters all season if he's used in the wrong way.

Saying Mourinho will decide is a bit of an easy out - Mourinho has Bale, Kane and Son to fit in already, I'm pretty sure he's partly winding us up with his 'must have' striker media spin.

It may be he wants Dele out and a new Striker in ... he could then play 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Bale, Kane and Son all behind his new Striker ... imagine that rotating front four ... the issue with that is it leaves us with just six proper defenders and that's never been Mourinho's style, not to mention the 300m of midfield talent now confined to the bench.

In twelve months Bale could be back at RM, Son could be on his way to Barca and Kane to PSG ... Parrot may have bombed at Millwall and our new Striker could have scored 1 in 35 appearances ... but let's hope not.
It's not an easy way out, he's the manager and he wants a striker, it's not a wind up.
If we can't get a striker we should have never have told him that we will get one.

When we lose the Levy / ENIC out massive are quick to lay blame towards them, yet winning well, looking in a strong position with personnel and infrastructure, and topping it off with a very good transfer window - are they never due some credit?

I'm not saying they're perfect, it's just that opinions should not be stubbornly set in stone. Credit where it's due. For me, we continue to move forward as a club with a long term vision.
There are of course still negatives - but there are plenty of positives about where we are right now compared with 1 year ago.

COYS

When we lose the Levy / ENIC out massive are quick to lay blame towards them, yet winning well, looking in a strong position with personnel and infrastructure, and topping it off with a very good transfer window - are they never due some credit?

I'm not saying they're perfect, it's just that opinions should not be stubbornly set in stone. Credit where it's due. For me, we continue to move forward as a club with a long term vision.
There are of course still negatives - but there are plenty of positives about where we are right now compared with 1 year ago.

COYS
Poll is live and has changed from 75% out to 53% - what exactly is your problem? This is a discussion board about Spurs and opinions will always differ

Poll is live and has changed from 75% out to 53% - what exactly is your problem? This is a discussion board about Spurs and opinions will always differ

I don't have a problem. Just putting some praise towards the board on a thread about the Tottenham board.

Do you always bite? Ought to wear a muzzle mate.

COYS

Interesting I would say the bolded is the biggest and most obvious complaint you could have about the club.

Everyone is very excited about this transfer window but it is very likely that in two years we will be looking to get a new RB, LB, Striker, DM, GK- all the spots we bought this window as well as needing at least one new CB.

The club seems to be taking a very short term win approach, and deciding to figure out the long term approach later.

Interesting I would say the bolded is the biggest and most obvious complaint you could have about the club.

Everyone is very excited about this transfer window but it is very likely that in two years we will be looking to get a new RB, LB, Striker, DM, GK- all the spots we bought this window as well as needing at least one new CB.

The club seems to be taking a very short term win approach, and deciding to figure out the long term approach later.

Perhaps, but we need to make moves and refresh the squad every window anyway, as was proved so painfully over the past couple of years when not enough happens.
It may look short sighted, but trophies are won in individual seasons, and that's what we are crying out for right now.

Perhaps, but we need to make moves and refresh the squad every window anyway, as was proved so painfully over the past couple of years when not enough happens.
It may look short sighted, but trophies are won in individual seasons, and that's what we are crying out for right now.

I am not disagreeing that they are making a run at trophies just pointing out that it is at the cost of the long term plan.

I am not disagreeing that they are making a run at trophies just pointing out that it is at the cost of the long term plan.
Unless the long term plan was to get us to the point we could win some trophies?

I am all for a 'project' in the Pochettino sense. But, don't forget that he got us ahead of schedule on that project. We were supposed to be competing regularly for CL places, but only after the stadium had been secured. Poch got us there early, and even took us to a final.

Not rehashing whether or not we should have let him go, but certainly appointing a coach like Jose was a statement. It was saying: now we want silverware, and ultimately wasn't the ability to get silverware the entire point of the project?

If we get a nice couple of tin pots from Jose, then that makes any potential squad overhaul or enhancement easier in itself. Players want to join teams that win things, and even after Jose we will want to attract coaches who win things too. It has to start somewhere, or else 'long term' doesn't mean anything. Long term, we want to be a massive club competing for the highest honours in the sport, and actually winning some of them.

Poch took us massively forward, and probably over-acheived in terms of creating a football team. But it also burned out, and now we have that same backbone of a team, placed in the hands of a man who knows how to win what we all crave. In that sense, I dont think it's short term at all. Maybe it's finally the elusive 'big club' mentality we keep hearing so much about?

tl;dr: If this team wins trophies as a result of our short term spending, it makes it easier to attract replacements in the long term too.

Unless the long term plan was to get us to the point we could win some trophies?

I am all for a 'project' in the Pochettino sense. But, don't forget that he got us ahead of schedule on that project. We were supposed to be competing regularly for CL places, but only after the stadium had been secured. Poch got us there early, and even took us to a final.

Not rehashing whether or not we should have let him go, but certainly appointing a coach like Jose was a statement. It was saying: now we want silverware, and ultimately wasn't the ability to get silverware the entire point of the project?

If we get a nice couple of tin pots from Jose, then that makes any potential squad overhaul or enhancement easier in itself. Players want to join teams that win things, and even after Jose we will want to attract coaches who win things too. It has to start somewhere, or else 'long term' doesn't mean anything. Long term, we want to be a massive club competing for the highest honours in the sport, and actually winning some of them.

Poch took us massively forward, and probably over-acheived in terms of creating a football team. But it also burned out, and now we have that same backbone of a team, placed in the hands of a man who knows how to win what we all crave. In that sense, I dont think it's short term at all. Maybe it's finally the elusive 'big club' mentality we keep hearing so much about?

tl;dr: If this team wins trophies as a result of our short term spending, it makes it easier to attract replacements in the long term too.

I think that sounds like a nice idea but in practice having quality players at the club will likely have us winning much more than winning a few trophies will and we likely will need to replace upgrade all of the signings we made this window in two years.

That also assumes that we do win things. I think having a long term plan that is so out of our control is pretty weak. What happens if we don't win anything? Or only win the League Cup then what do we do? Is our long term plan shot to pieces then?

I think that sounds like a nice idea but in practice having quality players at the club will likely have us winning much more than winning a few trophies will and we likely will need to replace upgrade all of the signings we made this window in two years.

That also assumes that we do win things. I think having a long term plan that is so out of our control is pretty weak. What happens if we don't win anything? Or only win the League Cup then what do we do? Is our long term plan shot to pieces then?
I'm not understanding your proposed alternative. We always have to get new players, since that is football. Why do you think that getting players to win trophies is not the same as getting players who will have us winning?

I dun geddit...

I'm not understanding your proposed alternative. We always have to get new players, since that is football. Why do you think that getting players to win trophies is not the same as getting players who will have us winning?

I dun geddit...

I am saying that getting players that will be here long term is better long term planning than getting guys that will likely be replaced in 2 years.

Yes players will need to be replaced but there is a difference in buying guys in their early 20's versus their late 20's and 30's or buying guys with buy back clauses.

I think it is a risky long term plan to say that we will win trophies and that alone will make us better long term. I understand why Levy is doing what he is doing now, I just see it as a short term vision not a long term vision.

I am saying that getting players that will be here long term is better long term planning than getting guys that will likely be replaced in 2 years.

Yes players will need to be replaced but there is a difference in buying guys in their early 20's versus their late 20's and 30's or buying guys with buy back clauses.

I think it is a risky long term plan to say that we will win trophies and that alone will make us better long term. I understand why Levy is doing what he is doing now, I just see it as a short term vision not a long term vision.
Okay, understood. But here's where I disagree: there's no guarantee on potential any more than of silverware.

Yes, we could try and get more young, talented players in on 4-year contracts, hoping they blossom into world-beaters in our shirt. And then we lose them when Madrid feel like a new toy. Or, and this happens much more often: they don't turn out to be as good as we'd hoped and we will need to upgrade them in a couple of years anyway. The only upside there is that we'll probably get some money back for then in selling.

Well, even if Regui goes in 2 years for an upgraded buy-back fee, isnt that exactly the same in terms of cashflow? The difference is that Reg might help win us something while he is here, and make us an attractive destination, whereas some kid from Toulouse or whatever who is getting good reviews and has 'potential' most likely won't. The track record of success for that method isn't grand, is it?

Still not sure how our long term plan is serviced more by taking punts on potential than by signing quality players in the short term who can help make us a place that the REAL top quality punts want to come.

Okay, understood. But here's where I disagree: there's no guarantee on potential any more than of silverware.

Yes, we could try and get more young, talented players in on 4-year contracts, hoping they blossom into world-beaters in our shirt. And then we lose them when Madrid feel like a new toy. Or, and this happens much more often: they don't turn out to be as good as we'd hoped and we will need to upgrade them in a couple of years anyway. The only upside there is that we'll probably get some money back for then in selling.

Well, even if Regui goes in 2 years for an upgraded buy-back fee, isnt that exactly the same in terms of cashflow? The difference is that Reg might help win us something while he is here, and make us an attractive destination, whereas some kid from Toulouse or whatever who is getting good reviews and has 'potential' most likely won't. The track record of success for that method isn't grand, is it?

Still not sure how our long term plan is serviced more by taking punts on potential than by signing quality players in the short term who can help make us a place that the REAL top quality punts want to come.

But we didn’t do that, outside of Bale nobody that we signed does what you suggest.

No big names are coming here cause we signed Matt Doherty or PEH. Joe Hart isn’t attracting anyone.

We aren’t less likely to win by signing a quality 24 year old RB than we were signing Doherty. We aren’t worse off having a young goalie that could take over for Lloris in two years than Hart.

There is little to no chance that any signing we made makes us more or less attractive to the REAL top quality players you want.

But we didn’t do that, outside of Bale nobody that we signed does what you suggest.
I disagree entirely. I think that PEH, Reg, Doherty and CV are here to do what I suggest. What I suggested is that they are here to try and help us WIN things. We become attractive by winning thing, and yes, if Hart can be better cover for Hugo than Gazza can, that helps too.

We aren’t less likely to win by signing a quality 24 year old RB than we were signing Doherty.
Why? And where do you find this quality 24-year old, who hasn't already been tapped up by one of the teams who keep winning things? The whole point is that Doherty is an upgrade NOW, not in 2 years' time, who can give us what we need to try and win something right NOW.

Do you not agree that Doherty was a strong addition to the squad? Do you think it was a Eric Nelson signing? Cause I don't. I see it as getting in the man who fits the way that the coach wants to play, and which he thinks will actually win us some stuff. We can't base our entire ambitions eternally on potential; sometimes you need to get in older players who can do what you need right now, to help provide a platform for potential to be realized in others.

There is little to no chance that any signing we made makes us more or less attractive to the REAL top quality players you want.
They will if they win things for us. There is absolutely zero chance than signing another young 'hopeful' is going to make us more attractive either, and much less chance of it paying off in the short term.

Like I said. Make this short term successful, and the long term is already serviced by that. And if not? It's not any different to what we've already been doing, is it? Or is your complaint merely that we will have to engage in the transfer window again in 2 years time?

I still don't get what your actual complaint here is...

Back
Top Bottom