Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From Levy's statement: "we ourselves made the difficult decision – in order to protect jobs – to reduce the remuneration of all 550 non-playing directors and employees for April and May by 20% utilising, where appropriate, the Government’s furlough scheme. We shall continue to review this position."

So is it 550 people or is it less? We don't know do we?
According to Kat Law, who is co-chair of the trust. It is only the staff that are unable to work from home that are furloughed. Anyone that can work from home does so but they have all taken a 20% pay cut and thus only work 80%. This includes directors.

Her tweet is on one of the more recent pages in this thread.

I fully understand and agree that a number of individuals won’t be employed in productive work at the club at this time but in terms of PR and of morality the way in which Spurs have dealt with this is just wrong.

None of the PL clubs are that cash strapped, Spurs certainly aren’t, and the sums being claimed from the Government scheme is minuscule in term of cash available or available via borrowing facility.

It’s pretty obvious that football is under the microscope but no matter what happens going forward in terms of players wages the fact that Spurs , Newcastle and Norwich want the taxpayer to inject cash into a business that almost certainly in a few month will be shelling out millions on new players is just wrong .

Defend the club when negative press isn’t justified but the negatives here are fully justified.

Proud to be a yid. Club has been tweeting heaps of late and every one is met with heaps of responses of “pay your staff”. Trying to drive home the point, I get that, as monotonous as its becoming.

However, the club tweets about the recovery of Micky Hazard and none of that stuff.

Absolute class act from my fellow fans. Kudos.
Get well soon, Micky.

With all due respect your missing the point that most of us making.

I'd were holding THFC up to the standards of Branson and your real estate firm then what are we supporting? I keep asking this from people who keep defending levy but not one person has replied.

If you see spurs as a corporate entity. If you think they should be held to the same standards as your employer then I dont see why were all here.

Surely a football club is like a family. Surely it's strives to be a hub of the communinity and ideally the club, staff , players and fans stick together.

This is not that. Nobody goes to the shops and buys your companies uniform for their kids, I highly doubt that thousands of people go to your head office every week and sing songs about how much they love you.

It's not the same, not at all. Levy is in a privileged position of having customers that more often than not will turn up no matter how bad his product his, and let be honest in his 2p years it's been more bad than good, ain't nobody going to go over the Emirates if the food isnt good enough at the lane.

Let's do some real idiot maths for a second. Presume all the people being furloughed are on the maximum 2500 a month (they arent) and say it goes on for 8 weeks ( it wont) that's only 11 million quid. Only you say? Yes only , that's what we spent on Clinton n'jie.

It ain't bankrupting us. The negotiations with the players and his fellow board members are what the future depends on, not screwing over his core staff who actually need the money.

So forgive me if I dont care what companies like BA and others do . I support spurs because were meant to be family, a movement not some shitty corporate giant who treat people like numbers.

But we’ve been like that ever since I started supporting us 30 odd years ago haven’t we I’m afraid. If the current situation helps to change football then great but I can’t see it unfortunately.

I’m not defending levy on this btw, I’m just being pragmatic. From a football point of view I am annoyed we’ve given so much money to the tax man rather than spending that on players. I’m more annoyed our record signing isn’t fit enough to complete 90 minutes while trousering £200k a week. From a business point of view I can see why he’s done it. From a moral point of view I struggle to get on my high horse about it, worse things are happening in football. Qatar have people building their stadiums who are treated like slaves, agents take advantage of players, especially kids in academies to make money for themselves rather than looking after the child, Man City have owners that are funding a team with blood on their hands. Is it troubling that we haven’t given all our non playing staff full pay for 2 months, yes, have they gone about it wrong, yes but is it the worst thing going on in football today, no it’s not.

But we’ve been like that ever since I started supporting us 30 odd years ago haven’t we I’m afraid. If the current situation helps to change football then great but I can’t see it unfortunately.

I’m not defending levy on this btw, I’m just being pragmatic. From a football point of view I am annoyed we’ve given so much money to the tax man rather than spending that on players. I’m more annoyed our record signing isn’t fit enough to complete 90 minutes while trousering £200k a week. From a business point of view I can see why he’s done it. From a moral point of view I struggle to get on my high horse about it, worse things are happening in football. Qatar have people building their stadiums who are treated like slaves, agents take advantage of players, especially kids in academies to make money for themselves rather than looking after the child, Man City have owners that are funding a team with blood on their hands. Is it troubling that we haven’t given all our non playing staff full pay for 2 months, yes, have they gone about it wrong, yes but is it the worst thing going on in football today, no it’s not.

I agree but this is the craziest time of my 41 years on this earth, this is the time people and especially powerful people should be stepping up.

His gone the other way and whilst to his shareholders it makes sense, it makes me ashamed that I'm emotionally invested in the club.

With all due respect your missing the point that most of us making.

I'd were holding THFC up to the standards of Branson and your real estate firm then what are we supporting? I keep asking this from people who keep defending levy but not one person has replied.

If you see spurs as a corporate entity. If you think they should be held to the same standards as your employer then I dont see why were all here.

Surely a football club is like a family. Surely it's strives to be a hub of the communinity and ideally the club, staff , players and fans stick together.

This is not that. Nobody goes to the shops and buys your companies uniform for their kids, I highly doubt that thousands of people go to your head office every week and sing songs about how much they love you.

It's not the same, not at all. Levy is in a privileged position of having customers that more often than not will turn up no matter how bad his product his, and let be honest in his 2p years it's been more bad than good, ain't nobody going to go over the Emirates if the food isnt good enough at the lane.

Let's do some real idiot maths for a second. Presume all the people being furloughed are on the maximum 2500 a month (they arent) and say it goes on for 8 weeks ( it wont) that's only 11 million quid. Only you say? Yes only , that's what we spent on Clinton n'jie.

It ain't bankrupting us. The negotiations with the players and his fellow board members are what the future depends on, not screwing over his core staff who actually need the money.

So forgive me if I dont care what companies like BA and others do . I support spurs because were meant to be family, a movement not some shitty corporate giant who treat people like numbers.

And you are also missing the point.

You are correct that football clubs don't operate as normal businesses, a normal business's focus is purely on increasing profits. A football clubs primary focus is on being successful on the pitch, partly because success of the pitch leads to increasing the size of the club and therefore its value, but its not to make a profit. Virtually no football club globally is profitable, so it's clearly not the main driver - there's never a shortage of people wanting to own football clubs.

But they still have huge outgoings, so they are more at risk than virtually any industry when income dries up. They are no use to their community if they no longer exist.

And you are also missing the point.

You are correct that football clubs don't operate as normal businesses, a normal business's focus is purely on increasing profits. A football clubs primary focus is on being successful on the pitch, partly because success of the pitch leads to increasing the size of the club and therefore its value, but its not to make a profit. Virtually no football club globally is profitable, so it's clearly not the main driver - there's never a shortage of people wanting to own football clubs.

But they still have huge outgoings, so they are more at risk than virtually any industry when income dries up. They are no use to their community if they no longer exist.
Again those 550 people arent the ones who are going to put the business at risk. Levy I bet earns more himself than all of those put together.

Levy apparently earns £3m per year

£3m / 549 (he is included in the 550) = £5,464 per year

so, no, not even close.

Ok this could get messy because opinions are going to be all over the place .

Are you sure his part of the 550? If so are you telling me that him and his fellow board members who I understand took a 20% cut are claiming their 2500 grand a month from the government?

Are you sure? My understanding was the board had taken the cut to help but were still working from home. A multi millionaire claiming that would be even more distasteful.

Ok this could get messy because opinions are going to be all over the place .

Are you sure his part of the 550? If so are you telling me that him and his fellow board members who I understand took a 20% cut are claiming their 2500 grand a month from the government?

Are you sure? My understanding was the board had taken the cut to help but were still working from home. A multi millionaire claiming that would be even more distasteful.

The statement said "Yesterday, having already taken steps to reduce costs, we ourselves made the difficult decision – in order to protect jobs – to reduce the remuneration of all 550 non-playing directors and employees for April and May by 20% utilising, where appropriate, the Government’s furlough scheme. "

He is listed in the accounts published this week as a director, so he is included in the 550.

They used "where appropriate, the Government’s furlough scheme" - so, no, he's not claiming anything from the Government for his pay. It implies that only those under the threshold of £2,500 pcm are furloughed.

The statement said "Yesterday, having already taken steps to reduce costs, we ourselves made the difficult decision – in order to protect jobs – to reduce the remuneration of all 550 non-playing directors and employees for April and May by 20% utilising, where appropriate, the Government’s furlough scheme. "

He is listed in the accounts published this week as a director, so he is included in the 550.

They used "where appropriate, the Government’s furlough scheme" - so, no, he's not claiming anything from the Government for his pay. It implies that only those under the threshold of £2,500 pcm are furloughed.
So my original point stands. Those under the threshold that have been furloughed probably earn less together than levy does in a year.

The point being is those salaries arent the ones that will put the future of the club in doubt.

Back
Top Bottom