Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree lower staff currently expected to lose 20%, but I do wonder if the timing of Levy's announcement (just after March payroll paid) means he wanted to put player wages as high on the PL/PFA/public agenda as possible and give himself a whole month before April payroll needed to be paid (with 20% cuts on lower paid - or possibly not reducing pay without announcing it ).

How to get players to the negotiating table for both Spurs and all other clubs could be interesting though
I’m one of the first to defend Levy for all he’s done for us in the last twenty years. But even I struggle with thinking he’s trying to push an agenda. Just think he saw a chance to trim some costs and went for it.

Lots of different views.

A friend born in India, divides his time between UK and India, he said that after many years thinking and discussion with Indian friends he thinks the on balance the British Empire was a net positive for India :
- Gave them an international language, English
- Gave them English law.
- Gave them a civil service, which for all its faults and slowness is relatively uncorrupt and works well
- Gave India railways, and without railways there would be no modern day India.

A friend living in part of the former soviet union, now an independent country , says that despite the Russian repression of his country as part of the soviet union, he's grateful that the Russians left behind a decent infrastructure, decent standard of housing and an international language, Russian.

So depends on individuals to weigh up the positives and negatives of various former empires.
As you say, a lot of different views. My son in law is Indian and he's very vocal on the subject. He thinks that the damage outweighs the benefits. As someone born and brought up there, I have to take his observations seriously. But colonial rule is generally a very bad thing imo. The British, the Spanish, Portuguese French, Belgian and so on. What a mess they all left.

Football clubs as businesses, do a shocking bad job of embracing capitalism. The overwhelming majority of them fail to make a profit. Unlike efficient capitalist companies, who put profit - and shareholder remuneration - above all else, football clubs rarely do. We have clubs in the EPL paying their staff over 100% of their revenue. Nearly half paying their staff more than 70%. Only 8 PL clubs made profit last year. Go into the championship and it's a mess of biblical proportions financially.

The only real explanation for this is that rather than embracing capitalist ideals, they can barely manage basic fucking housekeeping, which continually puts their "local club" and it's employees at risk. And here's the irony, the stupider a club is run, the less fiscally prudent, the more some fans cheer it. The better a club is run, the more it's owner/board are criticised.

And an even bigger irony is these same fans, who criticise Levy for refusing to risk the financial viability of Spurs, often tend to regard owners like Abramovic and the Sheikh's as pariah's despite the fact that they do exactly what they want Levy to do, they don't run their clubs for profit, far from it, they were prepared to invest their own money - not the banks - into their own clubs, for nothing more than the pursuit of footballing glory (even if their may be spurious cultural/politicalmotives for chasing that glory)

People talk as if football only exists in £60 a ticket, prawn sandwich format. The beautiful game is there, in it's naked, humble form, at a field near you, every weekend. Walk your dog and to the local park and you can watch it for nothing. Smell the vaseline, hear them cunt referees off (despite the poor buggers giving up their Sundays for fuck all so they can have a game). Or you could go to any of the numerous tiers of football and increase that payment from a fiver upwards.

You choose to watch PL football. It's like choosing to only eat Michelin Starred food and then complaining about how expensive it is.
What's wrong with Prawn sandwiches.

Fuck all of that. People are dying and wider still, people are out of jobs and struggling to make ends meet.

A business that actively targets the community to generate its revenue?

I'm not saying you are wrong but it is low in the list right now.

Of course

But you are posting on a football clubs fans forum........there will occasionally be posts about football

Agree. I know that Jordan Henderson is very active in trying to get PL players into some kind of help.

Fuck you Harry Kane. England captain. I'm a bit embarrassed for you because all you need to do is open your fucking mouth.

You know what the press have told you - the press that have been wanking themselves silly over Liverpool for ever.

Kane isn't even Spurs captain, Lloris will be the players representative.

As you say, a lot of different views. My son in law is Indian and he's very vocal on the subject. He thinks that the damage outweighs the benefits. As someone born and brought up there, I have to take his observations seriously. But colonial rule is generally a very bad thing imo. The British, the Spanish, Portuguese French, Belgian and so on. What a mess they all left.
There's a documentary called Empire of Dust, which is sort of a fly-on-the-wall microcosmic look at Chinese neocolonialism in Africa, and it's absolutely fascinating (and quite enlightening on these issues).

It's clear that the Chinese and the, in this case, Congolese fundamentally dislike each other, despite working in such close quarters. At one point, the Chinese manager of the.. um, I've forgotten what kind of business it is (heh).. berates his African translator over the latter's countrymen allowing all the infrastructure the Belgians left behind to decay beyond repair. There's genuine anger and a tinge of sadness in his voice as he bemoans the waste of perfectly good railways etc. (which he makes a point of emphasising "we didn't even have in China at the time").

Colonial dynamics are extremely complex and very interesting. The extent to which we've been beaten down by/with our own colonial past is the reason none of us - including our media and people in power - now say anything about the Chinese moving in for a redo in exactly the same lands that we vacated.

Even the NFL has a wage cap. It's not beyond reason that a system could be worked out and implemented.
The NFL - thanks to its franchise model and being the only league in the world worth watching (if you're into that stuff!) - is a functional monopoly. They can do all kinds of things that the PL couldn't without at least cooperation from UEFA.

Ok so the gist of this thread seems to be

Person A: Spurs should pay their staff
Person B: We're using the gov scheme for what it was intended for.

A: But billionaire owners should pay for it themselves
B: No one does that so why should we?

A: Because they should not be greedy cunts! Just because others are we don't have to be. A pandemic is a the perfect time to start!
B: But Joe Lewis doesn't take a wage from the club or take money out.

Ffs

No one forces a cunt to buy a football club.
By buying it he has the power to sell and make other decisions. He voluntarily took that responsibility.
If the tax exile prick wanted to own the club then when shit hits the fan he can certainly sort it out without relying on taxpayer money.
Billionaires have BILLIONS. A billion is a thousand million for fucksake there is no excuse. And believe me much if not most of that money was obtained by cunty exploitative means.

Lots of different views.

A friend born in India, divides his time between UK and India, he said that after many years thinking and discussion with Indian friends he thinks the on balance the British Empire was a net positive for India :
- Gave them an international language, English
- Gave them English law.
- Gave them a civil service, which for all its faults and slowness is relatively uncorrupt and works well
- Gave India railways, and without railways there would be no modern day India.

A friend living in part of the former soviet union, now an independent country , says that despite the Russian repression of his country as part of the soviet union, he's grateful that the Russians left behind a decent infrastructure, decent standard of housing and an international language, Russian.

So depends on individuals to weigh up the positives and negatives of various former empires.

That could be one of the most glib and disingenuously lame defences of the many human and economic atrocities committed in the name of British corporate acquisitiveness.

Is your friend aware of the millions of Indians that died of starvation because the controlling British empire shipped tons of Indian wheat off to Britain whilst India was in the grips of famine?

Talking about the Bengal famine in 1943, Churchill said: “I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion. The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits.”

Or the 10 million displaced and circa 1 million that died in the sectarian violence caused by the partitioning in 1947 - which was decided on over one lunch time by Cyril Radcliff.

That's before we get into Britain's part in the slave trade, other global human atrocities in places like Africa, the middle and Far East and the purpose of the British Empire, which was to strip it's colony countries of their farmed and mineral wealth for profit of British companies.

So officially it's still only Spurs, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Norwich who have decided to furlough the non playing staff?

A man I judged by the company he keeps:levyeyes:

You know what the press have told you - the press that have been wanking themselves silly over Liverpool for ever.

Kane isn't even Spurs captain, Lloris will be the players representative.
Yep!

Lloris was actively involved (as Club Capt.) with many discussions as was Levy and Jose (there were many of these conf calls taking place).
26832316-8189149-image-m-8_1586095329613.jpg

A: Because they should not be greedy cunts! Just because others are we don't have to be. A pandemic is a the perfect time to start!

Ffs

By buying it he has the power to sell and make other decisions. He voluntarily took that responsibility.
If the tax exile prick wanted to own the club then when shit hits the fan he can certainly sort it out without relying on taxpayer money.
Billionaires have BILLIONS. A billion is a thousand million for fucksake there is no excuse. And believe me much if not most of that money was obtained by cunty exploitative means.
I hate tax exiles, I hate anyone deliberately working to avoid paying tax!

That said, what one of his 80 companies should he personally prop up first? After all, many on here say that football isn't important, so I guess that puts Spurs at the bottom of the list by their very own definition, that will please them no doubt. It's entirely possible he might choose to dip into his personal wealth to support the companies that he sees the best chance of a) recovering their position b) protecting the biggest investment return. I've no idea if that would be Spurs when compared with the other 79 companies, but few will be as well run as Tottenham so this might just be a crucial factor when making these types of decisions.

Ffs

Guess how someone becomes a billionaire?

I'll give you a clue; its not by being a really nice person and looking out for others.

Self made billionaires who own football clubs aren't going to magically change their personality.

I hate tax exiles, I hate anyone deliberately working to avoid paying tax!

That said, what one of his 80 companies should he personally prop up first? After all, many on here say that football isn't important, so I guess that puts Spurs at the bottom of the list by their very own definition, that will please them no doubt. It's entirely possible he might choose to dip into his personal wealth to support the companies that he sees the best chance of a) recovering their position b) protecting the biggest investment return. I've no idea if that would be Spurs when compared with the other 79 companies, but few will be as well run as Tottenham so this might just be a crucial factor when making these types of decisions.
All of them. Distribute it equally and use Furlough for the rest.

But that being said if he used his wealth to help the working men and women from a bunch of other companies first and there wasn't any left for Spurs so we used Furlough that would be COMPLETELY different and understandable.
That's not the case though.

Guess how someone becomes a billionaire?

I'll give you a clue; its not by being a really nice person and looking out for others.

Self made billionaires who own football clubs aren't going to magically change their personality.
Which is why we should force and pressure them and failing that seize- I mean boycott them.

They will only be replaced by someone similar

At least ours keep us financially stable - watch out for Leicester, Everton and Villa over the coming months...
Then give the replacements the same treatment and put measures in place to stop it happening again.
Spurs surviving and those clubs potentially dying means fuck all to any decent human of a spurs supporter if we achieved it by being cunts.

Back
Top Bottom