Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All of them. Distribute it equally and use Furlough for the rest.

But that being said if he used his wealth to help the working men and women from a bunch of other companies first and there wasn't any left for Spurs so we used Furlough that would be COMPLETELY different and understandable.
That's not the case though.
Sorry, I don't understand your 2nd para. I assume he has "the working Man & Woman" within every company he owns. Are you saying that Julie & Tom who work on one of his luxury resorts are better and more deserving than Stan and Susan who work in Spurs Stores?

What is the case? What is the financial health of each of his 80 companies? What ones are most hit? What ones does he choose to pump cash into (if any)? There is only one person (probably more as his daughters I believe actually run the day to day of Tavistock Group) that know the answers to this and where they make a judgement. That judgement BTW will not be now but later on down the road. But there again you seem to want something to be done now, immediately, ignoring that it's the individual business that has to be in a state that can fend for its self (no different to any business be it owned by the founder, individual investors, venture capitalists and/or hedge fund managers representing groups of millionaire & billionaire tax havened clients.

Sorry, I don't understand your 2nd para. I assume he has "the working Man & Woman" within every company he owns. Are you saying that Julie & Tom who work on one of his luxury resorts are better and more deserving than Stan and Susan who work in Spurs Stores?

What is the case? What is the financial health of each of his 80 companies? What ones are most hit? What ones does he choose to pump cash into (if any)? There is only one person (probably more as his daughters I believe actually run the day to day of Tavistock Group) that know the answers to this and where they make a judgement. That judgement BTW will not be now but later on down the road. But there again you seem to want something to be done now, immediately, ignoring that it's the individual business that has to be in a state that can fend for its self (no different to any business be it owned by the founder, individual investors, venture capitalists and/or hedge fund managers representing groups of millionaire & billionaire tax havened clients.
His workers should be treated equally.
If he physically lacks the money (from his own accounts) to pay for all of them then logically he has to pay some and Furlough the rest.

Whether he pays for a % of workers from every company he owns (and Furloughs rest of workers) or pays for every worker from a few companies he owns (and Furloughs rest of workers) is an issue to consider of course.
I say do the one that will cost the gov the least.

That could be one of the most glib and disingenuously lame defences of the many human and economic atrocities committed in the name of British corporate acquisitiveness.

Is your friend aware of the millions of Indians that died of starvation because the controlling British empire shipped tons of Indian wheat off to Britain whilst India was in the grips of famine?

Talking about the Bengal famine in 1943, Churchill said: “I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion. The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits.”

Or the 10 million displaced and circa 1 million that died in the sectarian violence caused by the partitioning in 1947 - which was decided on over one lunch time by Cyril Radcliff.

That's before we get into Britain's part in the slave trade, other global human atrocities in places like Africa, the middle and Far East and the purpose of the British Empire, which was to strip it's colony countries of their farmed and mineral wealth for profit of British companies.

The guy is a well educated Indian in his 50's who was born, raised and educated in India, came to UK for the first time to visit the uk in his 20's, so yes he's fully aware of lots of downsides as well as long term benefits.

The British empire, like it or not, was one of a very large number throughout history, and indeed has been 'replaced' by different forms of empires - those built on commercial exploitation and conquest such as :

- USA (forced Mexico to sell almost half of its lands for peanuts - including parts of California where he following year the gold rush gave US more money than it paid Mexico and using its economic power forced Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, US Virgin Islands and acquired a number of islands in the pacific including Hawai who 'voluntarily' joined the US in about 1900,
- China has used its commercial and financial strength to dominate much of Africa, took over Tibet and has been making a play for much of Central Asia taking much of its natural gas production at prices highly beneficial to it. And we don't want to get into its price dumping policies do we ?

So my friend says he's looked at how other empires have behaved and on balance thinks much of the time Britain's rule was fair and better than most other empires in the past - but absolutely agreed there were things that shouldn't have happened.

Not sure you can blame British entirely for the partition violence, the Indian people wanted independence but to split into two countries and long lived animosity between hindus and moslems made that very difficult. BTW my friend is moslem - so he's part of a minority in India although there are more moslems in India than in Pakistan.....

And I rather recall you are of Scottish ancestry - how do you feel about its attempt to establish a colony in Panama ? Or it taking over the Orkney and Sheland Islands as part of a marriage dowry without its people (of a totally different race to Sots) without any consulation ? Or wiping out 100% of the original Pictish population - surely genocide is wrong ?

The guy is a well educated Indian in his 50's who was born, raised and educated in India, came to UK for the first time to visit the uk in his 20's, so yes he's fully aware of lots of downsides as well as long term benefits.

The British empire, like it or not, was one of a very large number throughout history, and indeed has been 'replaced' by different forms of empires - those built on commercial exploitation and conquest such as :

- USA (forced Mexico to sell almost half of its lands for peanuts - including parts of California where he following year the gold rush gave US more money than it paid Mexico and using its economic power forced Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, US Virgin Islands and acquired a number of islands in the pacific including Hawai who 'voluntarily' joined the US in about 1900,
- China has used its commercial and financial strength to dominate much of Africa, took over Tibet and has been making a play for much of Central Asia taking much of its natural gas production at prices highly beneficial to it. And we don't want to get into its price dumping policies do we ?

So my friend says he's looked at how other empires have behaved and on balance thinks much of the time Britain's rule was fair and better than most other empires in the past - but absolutely agreed there were things that shouldn't have happened.

Not sure you can blame British entirely for the partition violence, the Indian people wanted independence but to split into two countries and long lived animosity between hindus and moslems made that very difficult. BTW my friend is moslem - so he's part of a minority in India although there are more moslems in India than in Pakistan.....

And I rather recall you are of Scottish ancestry - how do you feel about its attempt to establish a colony in Panama ? Or it taking over the Orkney and Sheland Islands as part of a marriage dowry without its people (of a totally different race to Sots) without any consulation ? Or wiping out 100% of the original Pictish population - surely genocide is wrong ?

Other people doing stuff, including the different forms of global exploitation that are still occurring, doesn't make what was done in the past in the name of the British empire OK.

And I'm not excusing anything done in Scotland's name that was wrong either.

But claiming "on balance colonialism did more good than harm" for the indigenous people it affected is pretty bogus.

Hindus, muslims and Sikhs lived fine together before the British (ancient sword and shield wars aside). I know muslims who lived in Amritsar before the divide (most holy Sikh place).
The brits did their classic divide and conquer.
The higher caste hindus were given good positions. That's why BJP, RSS etc have always been close with western right wing ideals.

There's a documentary called Empire of Dust, which is sort of a fly-on-the-wall microcosmic look at Chinese neocolonialism in Africa, and it's absolutely fascinating (and quite enlightening on these issues).

It's clear that the Chinese and the, in this case, Congolese fundamentally dislike each other, despite working in such close quarters. At one point, the Chinese manager of the.. um, I've forgotten what kind of business it is (heh).. berates his African translator over the latter's countrymen allowing all the infrastructure the Belgians left behind to decay beyond repair. There's genuine anger and a tinge of sadness in his voice as he bemoans the waste of perfectly good railways etc. (which he makes a point of emphasising "we didn't even have in China at the time").

Colonial dynamics are extremely complex and very interesting. The extent to which we've been beaten down by/with our own colonial past is the reason none of us - including our media and people in power - now say anything about the Chinese moving in for a redo in exactly the same lands that we vacated.
Good and fair points. We have to tiptoe around touchy subjects nowadays because of "PC" which started with the best of intentions but has now got completely out of proportion.
I'll try to get a look at the documentary.

The NFL - thanks to its franchise model and being the only league in the world worth watching (if you're into that stuff!) - is a functional monopoly. They can do all kinds of things that the PL couldn't without at least cooperation from UEFA.
Football is becoming somewhat of a power struggle
Funny that . I'm sure it used to be a fun sport. Maybe my memory is failing.

That could be one of the most glib and disingenuously lame defences of the many human and economic atrocities committed in the name of British corporate acquisitiveness.

Is your friend aware of the millions of Indians that died of starvation because the controlling British empire shipped tons of Indian wheat off to Britain whilst India was in the grips of famine?

Talking about the Bengal famine in 1943, Churchill said: “I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion. The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits.”

Or the 10 million displaced and circa 1 million that died in the sectarian violence caused by the partitioning in 1947 - which was decided on over one lunch time by Cyril Radcliff.

That's before we get into Britain's part in the slave trade, other global human atrocities in places like Africa, the middle and Far East and the purpose of the British Empire, which was to strip it's colony countries of their farmed and mineral wealth for profit of British companies.
As I said. Colonialism is a very bad thing
Take a quick look at the Caribbean for starters.

Interestingly, Joe Lewis doesn’t make the list of top 20 richest sports owners in the world. The only PL owners on the list are Kroenke and Abramovich. (Kahn at Fulham also makes the list).

Kind of surprising that Henry doesn’t make the list when he owns both Liverpool and the Boston Red Sox.

Back
Top Bottom