Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now, let’s turn to our own beloved chairman, Danny Boy. He took over a middle of the table club that hadn’t qualified for Europe in more than a decade, had fought a couple of relegation battles and hadn’t finished higher than 7th.

I’m going to be pedantic, we qualified for Europe in 91 and 99 so that statement isn’t correct. ENIC and Danny boy arrived in 2001.

I’m going to be pedantic, we qualified for Europe in 91 and 99 so that statement isn’t correct. ENIC and Danny boy arrived in 2001.
I stand corrected. You’re absolutely correct. I forgot about our big win in Moldova in 1999.
Can you remember the name of the team we beat? Should definitely be in a Spurs quiz 😀😀

Last edited:
I stand corrected. You’re absolutely correct. I forgot about our big win in Moldova in 1999.
Can you remember the name of the team we beat? Should definitely be in a Spurs quiz 😀😀
U are banging on about context but only include a comparison to the performance under the prior chairman who was a low benchmark and reviled.

In the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s we showed ambition and innovation to compete and win things. A glamour side. Yes performances were mixed but were undoubtedly a glamour side - that hasn’t returned under ENIC really.

The view you shared is polarised and as one sided as the ENICOUT Neanderthal….. I despise ENIC but they are definitely not Kroenke/Glazers levels of shite, but you can’t ignore the lack of trophies and inability to strive to push that extra bit. After 20+ years, have they learned from their mistakes? If ever there was a time to pivot, create funding and back a manager it’s now. Interesting summer ahead

U are banging on about context but only include a comparison to the performance under the prior chairman who was a low benchmark and reviled.

In the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s we showed ambition and innovation to compete and win things. A glamour side. Yes performances were mixed but were undoubtedly a glamour side - that hasn’t returned under ENIC really.

The view you shared is polarised and as one sided as the ENICOUT Neanderthal….. I despise ENIC but they are definitely not Kroenke/Glazers levels of shite, but you can’t ignore the lack of trophies and inability to strive to push that extra bit. After 20+ years, have they learned from their mistakes? If ever there was a time to pivot, create funding and back a manager it’s now. Interesting summer ahead

So now we are blaming ENIC for not returning us to the glory days of the 60s, 70s and 80s despite the fact they inherited a complete mess of a club thanks to the damage done by Scholar and Sugar.

This isn't a serious thread.

So now we are blaming ENIC for not returning us to the glory days of the 60s, 70s and 80s despite the fact they inherited a complete mess of a club thanks to the damage done by Scholar and Sugar.

This isn't a serious thread.
Not blaming them for that….. just adding some broader context as I feel a compare vs Sugar is a low benchmark and not aligned with our history. Have they been awful? No. Could they have done better? Yes

That isn’t relevant context. As a chairman you can only progress the club from where it actually is, not where it was 20-40 years prior. You think wolves have been able to trade in on past glories? Preston North End? Nottingham Forest? There are financial realities that are far more important.

The only benefit of previous eras of glory to ENIC was some lingering reputation when signing players. But that’s of limited value. We were WAY behind Utd, Woolwich and Liverpool. More akin to Everton.

3 years after Enic took over Abramovic took over. 7 years after ENIC took over Sheikh Mansour took over.

That’s pretty exculpatory evidence.

Another page dedicated to using the 90s as a benchmark to judge ENIC. (even though we won more in the 90s than in the two decades+ since)

At what point to the Levy freaks jump off their high horse and accept we are one of the biggest, wealthiest, best supported clubs in the county and should actually be, you know, winning stuff once in a while.

2040? 2050? Would 1 league Cup in 50 years be the tipping point?

1r8d4t.jpg

Another page dedicated to using the 90s as a benchmark to judge ENIC. (even though we won more in the 90s than the two decades+ since)

At what point to the Levy freaks jump of their high horse and accept we are won of the biggest, wealthiest, best supported clubs in the county and should actually be, you know, winning stuff once in a while.

2040? 2050? Would 1 league Cup in 50 years be the tipping point?
we won the audi cup recently

Not blaming them for that….. just adding some broader context as I feel a compare vs Sugar is a low benchmark and not aligned with our history. Have they been awful? No. Could they have done better? Yes
ENIC could only take us from where we were at the time they acquired us.

If the current owners of Nottingham Forest get them back to the Premier League and stay there, are you going to deem them failures because they haven’t won back-to-back European champions? You’re using the same argument.

We would all like to see us move forward from where we are and we would all like to see Lewis invest more and invest smarter but let’s not pretend the club he acquired was at the same level as the club in the early eighties when we were Woolwich’s peers (or at the same level as we are now). We basically missed out on the most explosive growth period of English football and it put us behind the 8 ball for more than a decade. ENIC brought us close to parity with those clubs again and I give them a heap of credit for that. It’s also given our new fans a sense of entitlement. There’s still lots of work to do but anyone who says that ENIC have taken us backward is either stupid or a liar.

ENIC could only take us from where we were at the time they acquired us.

If the current owners of Nottingham Forest get them back to the Premier League and stay there, are you going to deem them failures because they haven’t won back-to-back European champions? You’re using the same argument.

We would all like to see us move forward from where we are and we would all like to see Lewis invest more and invest smarter but let’s not pretend the club he acquired was at the same level as the club in the early eighties when we were Woolwich’s peers (or at the same level as we are now). We basically missed out on the most explosive growth period of English football and it put us behind the 8 ball for more than a decade. ENIC brought us close to parity with those clubs again and I give them a heap of credit for that. It’s also given our new fans a sense of entitlement. There’s still lots of work to do but anyone who says that ENIC have taken us backward is either stupid or a liar.
Agree and I didn’t say they had taken us backwards.

I’m not joking at all, he took over a basket case and had Venables to cope with, why do you describe him as a travesty?

At the time he took over the club was making more money off the pitch than Man U. Sure they had ferguson but our off pitch business was terribly handled. Then look at the managers he employed and the absolute shite we signed. He oversaw one of the worst periods of being a spurs fan I can remember. The 90s were awful being a Spurs fan.

At the time he took over the club was making more money off the pitch than Man U. Sure they had ferguson but our off pitch business was terribly handled. Then look at the managers he employed and the absolute shite we signed. He oversaw one of the worst periods of being a spurs fan I can remember. The 90s were awful being a Spurs fan.
Have you read The False Messiah by Mihir Bose? A fascinating insight into the club at the time.

Have you read The False Messiah by Mihir Bose? A fascinating insight into the club at the time.

No but I am talking about Sugar, not Venables. The purchase of the club was strange. I was only a teenager at the time so memory hazy about exactly happened and I think Venables role in it has largely been airbrushed from history. It isn't really for this thread anyway, I'm not comparing Sugar and Levy either, it is pointless. I am just stating what it was like supporting Spurs in that decade. A constant embarrassment is all I can remember.

No but I am talking about Sugar, not Venables. The purchase of the club was strange. I was only a teenager at the time so memory hazy about exactly happened and I think Venables role in it has largely been airbrushed from history. It isn't really for this thread anyway, I'm not comparing Sugar and Levy either, it is pointless. I am just stating what it was like supporting Spurs in that decade. A constant embarrassment is all I can remember.
I think it’s important to consider what he took over, the club was very close to going out of business. Like him or not Sugar steadied a sinking ship.

Spot on. A better comparison is Mike Ashley. I believe Sugar put some money in, unlike Ashley, but unbelievably he was even more of an embarrassment due to his rants and nonsense to the press

Levy and Lewis the Leach have invested a lot less than those two twats, but have undoubtedly been better owners

Back
Top Bottom