Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Quite right. We should keep those staff on, pay then in full for a few months whilst we have no income and then sack them all when the money runs out.

I’m sure they’d all prefer an extra couple of hundred a month for a few months and then nothing at all than a small reduction with a job to go back to later.

Thank Christ I don’t have you as a boss
What is 2018/19 total wages of the 550? And What is 2018/19 total wages of the players, managers and top execs inc dic levy?

Really interesting article on the Spanish Clubs recent wage cuts and their reasons for doing it, oh shock horror they too have put their staff on ERTE (kind of their version of furlough scheme), also after reading it you can see how they could do it whilst here in the UK the clubs have to wait for PFA and PMA to sit around a table.

It’s becoming pretty dam obvious that clubs, chairmen & players are greedy shallow f#@ks and when the rest of us are up against it we’re on our own......it’s us that enables them to have that lifestyle but when it’s their turn to give some back, do they.....do they fuck yes switch on some lights in stadium make them blue.WOW get a picture of the manager with a couple bags of shopping again WOW but will we learn No if and when it gets back to normal we will pay our money and shut up, like we always do this should be a wake up call not just for us as a fan base every fan of every club, they don’t care abut us they only care abut themselves I’m not meaning lower league players and clubs they’re in the shit as well but your not telling me a bang average, yes average player on 70k A WEEK is struggling and needs financial help if they are there is something wrong in their life but whatever it is it won’t be nearly as wrong as the guy who is on the verge of losing everything.

It’s becoming pretty dam obvious that clubs, chairmen & players are greedy shallow f#@ks and when the rest of us are up against it we’re on our own......it’s us that enables them to have that lifestyle but when it’s their turn to give some back, do they.....do they fuck yes switch on some lights in stadium make them blue.WOW get a picture of the manager with a couple bags of shopping again WOW but will we learn No if and when it gets back to normal we will pay our money and shut up, like we always do this should be a wake up call not just for us as a fan base every fan of every club, they don’t care abut us they only care abut themselves I’m not meaning lower league players and clubs they’re in the shit as well but your not telling me a bang average, yes average player on 70k A WEEK is struggling and needs financial help if they are there is something wrong in their life but whatever it is it won’t be nearly as wrong as the guy who is on the verge of losing everything.
Do actually think Levy wants to pay the players and the Manager their multi-million-pound wages?

What is 2018/19 total wages of the 550? And What is 2018/19 total wages of the players, managers and top execs inc dic levy?
No idea. I’m assuming you’ve a reason for asking?

Hopefully it isn’t to posit the argument that the players and directors should be taking a cut too or instead.

Because I think and have said on here that the players and management must act to also take cuts. But I understand that the players aren’t staff, they are contractors, so this isn’t an easy thing to work out.

Hopefully you accept that it’s better to take a few days to work this out, rather than cut salaries today and lose our squad for nothing due to us not fulfilling their contracts?

Oh look!! BA a £13.2b company furloughing 36k staff, this is an OUTRAGE blah, blah, etc, etc.....

I think Harry Kane should supliment their wages instead!!

That's a strange strange take.

A football club is not a normal business. It relies on the tribalism of its supporters . BA has no fans, nobody sings BA songs. Why would you ? It's just a corporate airline.

So if you think THFC are just like BA why do you support them? Are their BA forums and podcasts? Do people love BA so much they insist that their kids only like BA and but them an air stewardess uniform for xmas?

Seriously I dont get it? Would you not like your footbal club to have more morals than the average soulless corporate giant? Do you not want them to be the pillar of the community and support local people? Without those morals , without the personal relationship people feel football will die because what kind of weirdo sings songs and goes on forums about a soulless corporate business.

You may agree with the decision. I dont and that's fair enough but dont pretend that it's the same as BA or Virgin or whoever, it's not.

And even if it was not being able to afford 36,000 staff is a bit different to 550 dont you think? That's 550 staff for a couple of months . What's the wage bill of the players and directors? What was his bonus? He could easily afford it.

A football club is not a normal business. It relies on the tribalism of its supporters . BA has no fans, nobody sings BA songs. Why would you ? It's just a corporate airline.

So if you think THFC are just like BA why do you support them? Are their BA forums and podcasts? Do people love BA so much they insist that their kids only like BA and but them an air stewardess uniform for xmas?

Seriously I dont get it? Would you not like your footbal club to have more morals than the average soulless corporate giant? Do you not want them to be the pillar of the community and support local people? Without those morals , without the personal relationship people feel football will die because what kind of weirdo sings songs and goes on forums about a soulless corporate business.

You may agree with the decision. I dont and that's fair enough but dont pretend that it's the same as BA or Virgin or whoever, it's not.

And even if it was not being able to afford 36,000 staff is a bit different to 550 dont you think? That's 550 staff for a couple of months . What's the wage bill of the players and directors? What was his bonus? He could easily afford it.
What are you banging on about?

Spurs have lost 100% of their revenue, BA most of theirs. This means they can't operate. It doesn't matter if you are a coffee shop, football Club, Airline, car manufacturer if you've lost your revenue you will go out of business. The governments have put in place a scheme where employers are encouraged to utilise to save making employees redundant.

I made specific reference to BA because of the size of BA and so many people on here and within the press saying, incorrectly, that the furlough scheme is only for "small businesses". It's NOT.

What are you banging on about?

Spurs have lost 100% of their revenue, BA most of theirs. This means they can't operate. It doesn't matter if you are a coffee shop, football Club, Airline, car manufacturer if you've lost your revenue you will go out of business. The governments have put in place a scheme where employers are encouraged to utilise to save making employees redundant.

I made specific reference to BA because of the size of BA and so many people on here and within the press saying, incorrectly, that the furlough scheme is only for "small businesses". It's NOT.
Whatever mate you have just ignored all the points and answered you're own questions.

Have a good day.

Whatever mate you have just ignored all the points and answered you're own questions.

Have a good day.
They are business. They rely on revenue to keep them going, the fact they have "fans" is totally irrelevant. In fact, why do you think that's relevant at all?

This isn't about morality, what they have done is at the specific request of the Government of this country, they are pleading with companies to furlough their staff rather than make them redundant. They are upholding the system that's been put in place to protect employees. Why is this so hard to understand? What is morally wrong with it?

They are business. They rely on revenue to keep them going, the fact they have "fans" is totally irrelevant. In fact, why do you think that's relevant at all?

This isn't about morality, what they have done is at the specific request of the Government of this country, they are pleading with companies to furlough their staff rather than make them redundant. They are upholding the system that's been put in place to protect employees. Why is this so hard to understand? What is morally wrong with it?

A few points going here.

I mentioned fans because you pointed out BA. We all love Spurs , we all support them and I'm sure they mean different things to different people. I'd like to think the club we all invest in so much is held to a far greater moral standard than the likes of BA. The airlines are soulless corporate entities who nobody gives a fuck about as long as the flights happen. THFC absolutely should not be that. If they're the same what exactly are we supporting here?

And this is 100% about morality. Our way of life is under threat , people are dying, were at war. The football club should be the pillar of its community. They should be supporting people wherever they can. Is it moral to pay yourself a 3 million bonus and then make the government support your lowest paid staff when the country , no the world is in crisis? No . Your initial point mockingly saying harry kane should pay implies that it's ok because it's all covered , it's not. Our government has to pay and they pay by taxing all of us. Nothing is free so a man who earns 7 million quid a year, his directors earn shit loads and players earn obscene amounts should absolutely not be expecting the country to pay for his low paid staff.

550 people isnt going to send us bankrupt. The players not taking a wage deferral might but that's on him to negotiate. I suspect many players will want him to take the lead before even considering it as he pays himself so much .

I think that what sets most of the levy/enic fans apart from the rest of us. Comparing us to an airline company, they see us as buisness & company. Not a football club.
As you say, supporting a club is the same as supporting a global airline company to them.
Where we see players on the pitch, they see spreadsheets, stocks & shares. They take it very personal if you dare criticise ENIC or levy, whilst at the same time criticising players & the manager without a care in the world. Sadly football & the club's are becoming more & more a buisness & less & less a sport & clubs. We still hold on to what happens on the pitch & trying to win trophies. But celebrating profit & netspend etc is probably more fitting these days. & getting to the point where you would rather our billionaire owner take ££ from the government that could have gone on helping the NHS fight this virus that is killing thousands because it makes financial sense. Take away any emotion from the situation, buisness not sport.

I cancelled my BT sports for obvious reasons until football starts up again. But after the greed of the owners, executives & players being highlighted even more during a pandemic, I will begrudge even giving a penny towards them. So I think I won't bother renewing my bt sports even when football starts again. It's only £14 per month so they won't notice it, but hopefully more fans start spending less on these greedy millionaires & billionaires.

Ps. Not knocking you guido. I think you are actually right. Its all about money these days in football & most sports. It's just a real big shame. Top 4 means more than a domestic cup for example. Its getting harder to love the sport.

Last edited:
Everyone should read the swiss ramble thread on how well the club is doing financially and how we are in a good position to ride this out compared to other clubs. Those that hate him will always hate him. Those that are pragmatic towards him will always understand.

When other clubs have to sell off lots of their stars to survive this crisis (should it drift on another 6/9 months) and we don’t the penny should drop. It won’t, but it should.

A few points going here.

I mentioned fans because you pointed out BA. We all love Spurs , we all support them and I'm sure they mean different things to different people. I'd like to think the club we all invest in so much is held to a far greater moral standard than the likes of BA. The airlines are soulless corporate entities who nobody gives a fuck about as long as the flights happen. THFC absolutely should not be that. If they're the same what exactly are we supporting here?

And this is 100% about morality. Our way of life is under threat , people are dying, were at war. The football club should be the pillar of its community. They should be supporting people wherever they can. Is it moral to pay yourself a 3 million bonus and then make the government support your lowest paid staff when the country , no the world is in crisis? No . Your initial point mockingly saying harry kane should pay implies that it's ok because it's all covered , it's not. Our government has to pay and they pay by taxing all of us. Nothing is free so a man who earns 7 million quid a year, his directors earn shit loads and players earn obscene amounts should absolutely not be expecting the country to pay for his low paid staff.

550 people isnt going to send us bankrupt. The players not taking a wage deferral might but that's on him to negotiate. I suspect many players will want him to take the lead before even considering it as he pays himself so much .
It's a business that doesn't have any income. It will not exist if this continues, if there is no football there is no business, if there can be no concerts they can be no business, there is NO revenue.

One of my daughters works for a beauty chain (one of about 40 throughout the UK) the business brings in about £6-£10m per year, all staff have been placed on furlough after the closure of all of it's stores, the boss is a multi-millionaire, not a penny paid out of her pocket and why should there be (there's a chance she'll lose the entire business and who knows if she's any personal guarantees like her house up as collateral to be lost too). The customers they serve are loyal, some even rely on the company (not everyone gets their kicks from football), they, therefore, play an important part in some of their customers lives with weekly chats and doll them up to make them look nice (at least in their own view). Why no outrage and moral screaming? My nephew is a barber, same with him, closed down. Why no outrage!

We are NOT "making the government" pay our staff, the Government wants to pay our staff so they can keep their jobs!! Were it not for the furlough scheme they would have no doubt been made redundant BECAUSE THERE IS NO MONEY COMING IN!!

Every person currently on furlough (2 million and counting) would have no doubt have been made redundant by now, it exists solely as to keep their jobs and still have an income coved. The Club pays tax, it will also pay it in the future and without any doubt at a much higher rate in order to pay for this.

Why do you watch Spurs play knowing full well that the players all earn multiple millions of pounds? Why do you sing Harry Kanes song knowing that he's the highest-paid player at the Club? Where are your morals, what does this say about your morals? You sing Kane's name, he is still being paid £200k a week, where are your morals?

It's clearly not on the Club not wanting to pay the contractors (footballers) or else that would have been done at the same time the staff were placed onto furlough and there would be no ongoing talks with players PL, PFA and LMA.

We will go out of business in due course if there is no revenue, fact. Have you heard something the rest of us haven't about when the league will start up again? When the stadium can allow boxing and concerts? I must have missed that announcement.

Can you point to me the Football owners and affiliated businesses that dished out salaries to the employees of their Clubs who lost their jobs when the 2nd World War came about?

Wimbledon cancelled - Immoral WANAKERS!
Rugby cancelled - Immoral WANKRES!
Golf cancelled - Immoral WANKERS
Motor racing Cancelled - Immoral WANKERS!
Olympics cancelled - Immoral WANKERS!

Can people not understand that we are a business and a football club? We doo t have to be just one of these.

Without the football club, I’d not give a shite about the business.

Without the business, there’d be no football club.

I sometimes think some of our fans are living in caves and have been for decades. Football has been a business for a long time. How do you think we can afford to pay transfer fees and salaries? The fucking money fairy?

No, it’s by building multi use stadiums. It’s by investing money into commercial departments that turn us into the noodle partner for Japan. It’s by schilling the name of the club to allow us to charge fortunes for corporate seating.

We don’t have the money to pay for these world class players in our squad by doing work around the community.

It is though, important that we do help the community and by safeguarding the long term future of hundreds of employees, we are doing just that. Add in the fucking huge amount of money the club, the directors and the players pay in tax and the amount the entire staff give to charity already, and I think we are doing a pretty good job.

Supporting the community isn’t letting people get an extra couple of hundred quid a month and then finding the entire club and business has gone to the wall in a year.

We are both a football club and a business. Waken up.

Back
Top Bottom