LGB&T

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Alternatively, I can explain how English works:

I think that the argument would be that it invites anti-semitism.

Note the end of the sentence, then the start of a new one

I'm not sure how true it is, but I've been made aware that Jewish fans aren't comfortable with the word and don't use it (not sure if that's true or what proportion).

You'll probably see how the "not sure how true it is" relates to the sentence about Jewish fans being uncomfortable, not anything else - the subjunctive "but" is useful in showing that. As I'm not Jewish, nor do I know any Jewish people in person, I was exercising caution by explaining a reason why people are against the use of the word without saying it a way that would suggest it is verbatim.

Ironic that you take my words out of context to suggest my intent is different than it was meant, whilst defending the use of a word which has caused controversy for the exact same reason.
:gallas:

I was mocking @ 1882 1882 's
awful attempt
at quoting your post.Looks
like he's
deleted his post now anyway!

...damn right it was awful... I deleted, then replied again... then it all got a bit messy... wish I'd not tried to be so smart with my multi-quote-within-quotes idea!!!
:avbfacepalm:

...damn right it was awful... I deleted, then replied again... then it all got a bit messy... wish I'd not tried to be so smart with my multi-quote-within-quotes idea!!![/quote] Oh FFS!

Just out of interest, has there been any attempts to pronounce "Yid" as the friendly intention is apparently supposed to be (Yid as in 'seed' rather than Yid as in 'bid)

If people want to obtain the word for an affectionate term, then perhaps that would be easier for some to accept and there would be less argument that it's offensive?

:freund:

Just out of interest, has there been any attempts to pronounce "Yid" as the friendly intention is apparently supposed to be (Yid as in 'seed' rather than Yid as in 'bid)

If people want to obtain the word for an affectionate term, then perhaps that would be easier for some to accept and there would be less argument that it's offensive?

:freund:

I always thought 'Yidio' was our perfect loophole word... as it's not actually a word... but more a joyful noise of mass- celebration, made directly after a goal, and accompanied by gleeful bouncing, and friendly fist pumping!!!

Shame we can't be sponsored by eBay..

everyone could just sing "Bid Army"...

:nawty:

On a serious note, having a team be connected to religion in some way is just asking for abuse, the thuggery and medieval nature of some club supporters is far too bigoted to expect any less.

I mean Woolwich fans don't even understand what they're watching, never mind singing :bentley:

Could help to promote tolerance? Could possibly encourage fans to be proud perhaps? Of course, this doesn't have much to do with Spurs but I don't see the harm in it.
Yeah, On first reading i was like why not have a "Ford Capri Drivers" fan group, such was the apparent disassociation, but I suppose it could help more people who think they wouldnt be accepted at football because of their sexuality attend games.

Hopefully they will sing.....that's all I want in the ground, I dont care who you bang

They'll sing alright. They'll sing, they'll dance....

Hopefully this is another step toward not needing to announce such things. Pleased the Club are helping towards furthering tolerance towards all supporters (or anyone).

I always thought 'Yidio' was our perfect loophole word... as it's not actually a word... but more a joyful noise of mass- celebration, made directly after a goal, and accompanied by gleeful bouncing, and friendly fist pumping!!!

If they ban Yidio I will fucking abandon the club

i think the argument is that if even one jewish fan finds it offencive then it shouldnt be said, problem with that is where to draw the line, if one dad is offended because fucking cunt is said near his kid then do we have to ban people for that and i dont think the alternative of shouting white or even lillywhite army would get through this PC mess. Back to the gay supporters group, not that I do but if i was they type to abuse players by shouting "oi, you gay nonce go and get a rim job" or whatever knowing that there is a group of spurs fans who are gay and knowing that they're around me just the fact that they are spurs fans would make me not want to insult them. But i guess people who insult people based on sexual orientations aren't quite rational or clever enough to think like that.

Whilst an admirable stance, and worthwhile blah-de-blah... I can't help but notice that LGB&T sounds more like a Cigarette Company's Trade Union!!

Surely not the image they're trying to conjure up with their imaginative acronym??
....but other than that, I'm glad the club is on board!

The sooner this ISN'T an issue, the better!
Smoke a LGB&T today and Y your day away

Looking forward to the halftime entertainment at the Dnipro game.

South_Park_-_Bigger,_Longer_%26_Uncut-24_33106.png

Back
Top Bottom