LGB&T

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whilst an admirable stance, and worthwhile blah-de-blah... I can't help but notice that LGB&T sounds more like a Cigarette Company's Trade Union!!

38fw.png

What if the LBGTTGBTBTG started the chant as "reclaiming the word"........would they get turfed? And face criminal charges...?

:harryhmm:
good point, would they get thrown out for singing "We're gay and we know we are" offending themselves even if they just would be reclaiming a word that they have claimed as a word in order to have a word to claim...:avbcringe: I think

good point, would they get thrown out for singing "We're gay and we know we are" offending themselves even if they just would be reclaiming a word that they have claimed as a word in order to have a word to claim...:avbcringe: I think

I think people are taking this Y word thing a little too far.

You can't deny that there are people offended by the use of the word, and it is a word which has been used before for quite some time in a way which is known to suggest anti-semitism. It's not exactly like the people using it can all defend themselves by saying "but we're flemish/jewish" or that it's been used in, what its supposed to be the right (non-offensive) way, of "Yeed" (phonetically).

If spurs called this the "Queer alliance" or "Fag trust" you might have a point (because that how offensive people find "Yid" pronounced literally), but "Gay" isn't deemed offensive, neither is LBG&T.

There's threads on this I know, but it's getting a little excessive how much/often it comes up.

Surely people can understand that if stopping using that word stops thousands of rivals using it also in a way that is supposed to incite anti-semitism then it is worth it?

Surely people can understand that if stopping using that word stops thousands of rivals using it also in a way that is supposed to incite anti-semitism then it is worth it?

The main issue here, is the fact that we are the first target and our its our fans being arrested. When West Ham, Chelsea and Lazio get free reign to act like Nazis in our stadium

The main issue here, is the fact that we are the first target and our its our fans being arrested. When West Ham, Chelsea and Lazio get free reign to act like Nazis in our stadium

I think that the argument would be that it invites anti-semitism. I'm not sure how true it is, but I've been made aware that Jewish fans aren't comfortable with the word and don't use it (not sure if that's true or what proportion). If that's true, and the fans who do use it aren't Jewish, then it could be seen that those fans are instigating the abuse.

Tbh, religion tends to screw up a lot of things in life and gives people reason to hate and kill. I'm not particularly sure it has any place in football at all (I can find no reason for it, other than to incite abuse like this) so the reasons "for" using the Y-word are few compared to the "against".

I think that the argument would be that it invites anti-semitism. I'm not sure how true it is, but I've been made aware that Jewish fans aren't comfortable with the word and don't use it (not sure if that's true or what proportion). If that's true, and the fans who do use it aren't Jewish, then it could be seen that those fans are instigating the abuse.

Tbh, religion tends to screw up a lot of things in life and gives people reason to hate and kill. I'm not particularly sure it has any place in football at all (I can find no reason for it, other than to incite abuse like this) so the reasons "for" using the Y-word are few compared to the "against".

You're right, it's not true... we didn't invite anti-Semitism in by using the word...
we used the word to try and combat the anti-Semitism that forcefully broke in!

Some Jewish Spurs fans are offended, and some aren't... but plenty of Jewish fans use the word at games in a totally justified (to some) context, that is coming from the right place... and not a criminal one!

Agree! See exhibit a) M'lud: Celtic v Rangers!!

What does ones sexuality have to do with supporting Spurs?

I've obviously got no problem with how people want to live their life, but I dont get what being a member of this group does for them?

Do we need a "i like blonde girls" group? or a "i prefer the big girls" group?

When its a geographically based group i get it, but this i just dont understand....?

What does ones sexuality have to do with supporting Spurs?

I've obviously got no problem with how people want to live their life, but I dont get what being a member of this group does for them?

Do we need a "i like blonde girls" group? or a "i prefer the big girls" group?

When its a geographically based group i get it, but this i just dont understand....?
Could help to promote tolerance? Could possibly encourage fans to be proud perhaps? Of course, this doesn't have much to do with Spurs but I don't see the harm in it.

Back
Top Bottom