Ligue 1 2019-20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

New season mes amis!

Halfway through the Monaco/Lyon game and Lyon have been handed this one on a plate, curtesy of Fabregas’s dirty little stud scrape.

Monaco have lost a fuck load of good players over the last 2/3 years, they now have some decent young players and remind me a bit of Lille last two years, I think they might actually do ok this year.

Worth keeping an eye on Ballo-Toure the LB they nicked from Lille.

Doubt Jardim can make some magic this year with the players he has... St. Etienne are a team to keep an eye on though, because they are one of the only top teams that haven't lost a major star this window. On the other hand, very excited about what Yazici and Timothy Weah can do at Lille, and if they can replace Rafael Leao and Nicolas Pépé.

Doubt Jardim can make some magic this year with the players he has... St. Etienne are a team to keep an eye on though, because they are one of the only top teams that haven't lost a major star this window. On the other hand, very excited about what Yazici and Timothy Weah can do at Lille, and if they can replace Rafael Leao and Nicolas Pépé.

I tipped Lille to have a big season last year, despite them nearly going down the year before, I'm not sure they can repeat 2nd, but they still have some decent players there and as you say have added a couple of interesting ones.

I have a feeling St Etienne won't have as good a season this year. They did lose Cabella.

I'm really interested to see what AVB can do with Marseille, I quite fancy them to have a good season, he's a good coach and they have some decent players there who were badly managed last season. I reckon he'll have them knowing what they are doing.

I definitely think Monaco will gradually improve this season as the season goes on, A lot of young players but Jardim is a bloody good coach IMO, and he'll get them cohesive again. It wouldn't surprise to see them start slowly but gradually kick on and end up top 4/5/6 this season.

Christ, only just realised Sarr joined Watford from Renees on deadline day, that's a typical Waytford signing, gamble, but a decent gamble, he's still a bit erratic and raw, but he can be a handful on his day and he'll handle the physicality of the PL. If Niang can start to fulfil his early potential and Rennes can get him scoring they might cope without Sarr and have a better season than last time.

Despite losing some really good players, Lyon should have a decent season, they still have some good young players there and a couple bubbling under too

Strasbourg are my dark horse, I don't think they can finish top4 but I think they have a good spirit about them, and might finish top 6/7.

Currently watching Toulouse v Rennes. 16yo kid called Camavinga playing in midfield for Rennes, small, left footed, technically very good on the ball, neat, tidy and an eye for a pass. Definitely looks like a kid with lots of potential.

I mentioned this kid (still 16yo I think) in the players to watch thread last season, having a good game tonight to help Rennes beat PSG, including an assist (nice cross). Definitely one to put on the radar.

Niang, who I thought had a decent ACN, scored a nice goal too. I think if he could have a solid season, play every week, and bang a few goals in, he's still only 24 and he could well end up in the PL (or maybe Germany), having had a difficult time finding regular football after a move to Milan and a shitload of loans. Don't think he'll ever be an Adebayor for example, but he's got a decent touch for big lad, can hold the ball up well, just needs to bang in a few goals to prove he can.

Used to watch Montpellier in July/August in the school holidays with my Dad. The barbecues beforehand were incredible. Atmosphere always decent despite having only around 10k fans. Was very happy when they miraculously won the league a few years ago. Lovely city too. Cool story bro etc I know ...

I could see why the Saudis would love to take over Marseille and give the Qataris at PSG a tussle. As much as I detest the regime, I'd rather they put their money into Marseille than Newcastle, much bigger club with absolutely fanatical support all over France - would love to see them back at the top table again and give PSG some real competition in France.

Kovac eh? Strange goings on at Monaco. I guess he did a half decent job at Frankfurt.
SD Paul Mitchell has a very clear idea of what he wants to do at Monaco. Make bold changes to the squad, work on recruitment in a qualitative way, take a very aggressive approach to pressing, increase the closeness in the 1st team squad and maximise the level of working in the club, which he views to be a little lax.

The Englishman laid out his plan to the 1st team squad at the beginning of last week, insisting that everyone needed to up their professionalism with a clear objective in mind: make Monaco a regular Champions’ League club again. Kovač’s signature as a manager, an advocate for pressing and a high block, corresponds exactly with what Mitchell wants.

SD Paul Mitchell has a very clear idea of what he wants to do at Monaco. Make bold changes to the squad, work on recruitment in a qualitative way, take a very aggressive approach to pressing, increase the closeness in the 1st team squad and maximise the level of working in the club, which he views to be a little lax.

The Englishman laid out his plan to the 1st team squad at the beginning of last week, insisting that everyone needed to up their professionalism with a clear objective in mind: make Monaco a regular Champions’ League club again. Kovač’s signature as a manager, an advocate for pressing and a high block, corresponds exactly with what Mitchell wants.

Interesting, I really didn't think of Kovac's Frankfurt, or even his Bayern as being particularly hot on pressing and high block, did they you?

Back
Top Bottom