Lionesses

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I only see 4 posts because everyone other than the thread starter and cucumber benderwatch is on ignore. Give it a go.

It's been given a higher profile by the media not because of the 'woke brigade' but to try and grow women's sports.

The media coverage isn't a problem, just jumbling PL football and the women's game in media sports sections is.

Maybe have women's football played in the summer. That way it's front and centre on media/TV coverage and will possibly get bigger crowds due to there being no men's football on.

I feel like the way womens football is being rammed down our throats is making me want to watch it even less than I ever did.

Someone was on the radio yesterday ranting "if you don't want the England women to to win the world cup then there's something wrong with you"

How about this dear, much like Rugby, Cricket, Netball, Hockey blah blah blah, I just don't care. It's a different sport that I'm not interested in. I don't want to watch it, I don't want to listen to you on the radio telling me I'm wrong for not caring who wins.
There was a time I was considering taking my little girl a women's match to see if it got her interested but in the last 2 years I've really gone the other way on it. I'm not gonna make her like something if she doesn't want to. And no one is gonna make me like it.

As for scoring a goal that would be goal of the season in the mens game - this is match where one team is full of professional athletes and the other is a bunch of part timers. I'm fucking shit at football, but even I've scored some blinders against terrible oppo.

As for scoring a goal that would be goal of the season in the mens game - this is match where one team is full of professional athletes and the other is a bunch of part timers. I'm fucking shit at football, but even I've scored some blinders against terrible oppo.

It was a game vs the Dutch who are ranked fourth in the world, so very much all fully professional.

It was a game vs the Dutch who are ranked fourth in the world, so very much all fully professional.
When I was listening to the post match drivel, the suggestion was that they didn't, and I quote word for word "ever get out of 2nd gear"
The disparity in teams at international level is bad enough in the mens game, but the womens game is worse.

Triggered? Grow up

It's called an opinion, expressed off the back of a comment comparing women's and men's football on an equable level.
It isn't.

The media coverage isn't a problem, just jumbling PL football and the women's game in media sports sections is.

And no I'm not incandescent or frothing at the gills. Just tired of the constant attempt to try to blur the gap like it doesn't exist.

Men and women's tennis are both equally watchable and are both entertaining for the different approaches to the game based around the physical differences.

In time, when women's football reaches a similar level, then the same degree of enjoyment will probably be available. But there's a long way to go.

I'm not threatened in any way shape or form by the women's game, and that's just a juvenile, inflammatory comment to make. Just tired of the fallacy that it's anything but a third rate imitation at this point in time.

But most of all just plain bored with picking through sports sections where all of the football reports are jumbled together as if it was relevant to do so.

Well I found your post to be juvenile & inflammatory. The OP said 'hey this was a nice goal!' and immediately it feels like a bunch of insecure blokes couldn't resist the urge to jump in and tell everyone that men are stronger than women & they will never be as good.

It's obviously got catching up to do, society shunned women's sports for centuries. It's improving steadily and more and more people are becoming interested. These complaints about seeing the odd article on BBC Sport about it are really petty.

We all know there are biological differences and the women's game will never the same. It's still enjoyable and should be encouraged to grow. If you and others don't enjoy it then there's no pressure at all to watch it, just scroll past the odd article..

When I was listening to the post match drivel, the suggestion was that they didn't, and I quote word for word "ever get out of 2nd gear"
The disparity in teams at international level is bad enough in the mens game, but the womens game is worse.

Like you say .. pretty standard for international football, especially if it is a friendly .. but it's still a team of professionals vs a team of professionals.

Liverpool slaughtered Man U without getting out of 2nd gear last season..... Does that mean that Utd are the equivalent of being 'amatuer football' too??? .......That Liverpool played no active role in establishing said dominance?.......And that none of those Liverpool goals could have had an element of quality to them?

England vs Netherlands women's game is nothing like England men vs San Marino.

Netherlands were runners up in the last women's WC FFS!

You're just being ignorant.

If you're not interested and "don't care" how about you STFU and bother another thread instead.

Last edited:
Well I found your post to be juvenile & inflammatory. The OP said 'hey this was a nice goal!' and immediately it feels like a bunch of insecure blokes couldn't resist the urge to jump in and tell everyone that men are stronger than women & they will never be as good.

It's obviously got catching up to do, society shunned women's sports for centuries. It's improving steadily and more and more people are becoming interested. These complaints about seeing the odd article on BBC Sport about it are really petty.

We all know there are biological differences and the women's game will never the same. It's still enjoyable and should be encouraged to grow. If you and others don't enjoy it then there's no pressure at all to watch it, just scroll past the odd article..
From 2013/14

"Stephanie Roche has made into the last three nominees for the FIFA Puskás Award"

She came 2nd I think (???)

So the only person "triggered" was you then?

It wasn't my intention to irritate anyone - my response was to the OP, not to piss anyone off. I have explained my reasoning.

If my response inflamed you, all you had to do was just ask what I meant, because winding anyone up was never my intention.

Last edited:
The Dutch Women are the European champions.

So let me get this straight. The ones digging out the game, firstly suggesting that the Dutch team "weren't professional," then suggesting that they never turned up, never actually watched the game?

The Dutch Women are the European champions.
I mean, England men were 3 bad penalties away from it. If the coach wasn't such a dick head, maybe they would have been taken by grown men instead of little boys we would have won.
Greece and Denmark won the Euro's. It doesn't always mean they're good teams. An easy route to the final and playing for the nicked goal can be all it takes.

So let me get this straight. The ones digging out the game, firstly suggesting that the Dutch team "weren't professional," then suggesting that they never turned up, never actually watched the game?

I'm going by what the ex/current women players talking post match said about the game.

I mean, England men were 3 bad penalties away from it. If the coach wasn't such a dick head, maybe they would have been taken by grown men instead of little boys we would have won.
Greece and Denmark won the Euro's. It doesn't always mean they're good teams. An easy route to the final and playing for the nicked goal can be all it takes.
Put the shovel down Matt, you're just digging yourself deeper.

You never watched the game, so you're not really qualified to comment on it, or the relative quality of the teams that played.

If you don't like Women's football then fair enough, but if you don't watch it then that precludes you from making any meaningful contribution.

Back
Top Bottom