Liverpool Away - 02 April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

cant imagine for a minute why you would say that.
we weren't playing Colchester - we were playing an expensively assembled team, led by an internationally renowned motivational manager, in front of a large, passionate and noisy crowd.

We ran the show and they got what they could on their more gifted moments, and they could well have won it. God knows why anyone would think our team did anything but their best to win.

God knows how you can think that is what I said.

I wound up getting so drunk that I'm still a little hungover today. I don't remember much of the game to be honest, I haven't watched highlights and I haven't read anything about it at all. All I remember is that Kane's goal was incredible and Son looked very bad.

I have it recorded, is it worth a rewatch?

Still very disappointed with the result, but not with the performance. There were a quite a few moments when our football was as sexy as the lovely Daveed. I just love this team, the spirit garnered by Poch and his coaching team is something special to behold. No matter where we end up in the League, we have been priviledged to witness some wonderful football this season. Let's hope we can build on this for next season and several seasons to come.

Cant see how anyone could say Spurs played poorly. Did we watch the same game? Slow start, yes, but I rekon we did well to leave Anfield with a draw. Liverpool were really up for it and played a solid pressing game that took a while to adjust to.

We really missed Lamela's relentless pressing and Alli had a shocker, but did well and came close to a win thanks to Hugo's excellence.

This is a transitional season for Spurs and we are far from the finished article. Chasing the league title is something that probably wasn't expected and to be honest the expectation is to the detriment of the project. Finishing above the Goons and CL next year will be a fantastic result.

Still very disappointed with the result, but not with the performance. There were a quite a few moments when our football was as sexy as the lovely Daveed. I just love this team, the spirit garnered by Poch and his coaching team is something special to behold. No matter where we end up in the League, we have been priviledged to witness some wonderful football this season. Let's hope we can build on this for next season and several seasons to come.
This.

I highly recommend people watch the game again. We were very good indeed. Sometimes the tension of watching a "must win" game distorts how we feel about the game especially a highly competitive one, add the actual result into the equation and it leaves a negative taste in the mouth. Every single non-Spurs supporting mate of mine has told me it was the best game of football they have watched this season and all of them say that we were the better footballing side, conceded by Liverpool having the better clear cut chances.

For me the most impressive thing that demonstrates how good a technical team we are is how we dealt with Liverpool's press, we played out through the press numerous times, all with accurate one touch passing, a thing of beauty. Yes, there was lots of turn-over they pressed us, this is what happens but just like two boxers in a ring the winner of a closely contested fight still gets hit. Liverpool on the other hand couldn't deal with our press, they lost the ball more than us and were nothing like as assured as us passing through a press. Their pass completion rate was the worst they have experienced all season (BTW Woolwich's worst pass completion figures they have recorded in the past two seasons have been in every game against us)! Just because Klopp said at the end of the game "they pressed better" doesn't make it true, after all he has a reputation he has to protect.

Whilst Son didn't offer us what Lamela has done all season (more aggressive press and ability to turnover possession) unfortunately it was Ali who was our weak link in every dept.

Anyway for those who have a spare 90mins watch it again, if you have an other spare 90mins watch the scum game again too. The best therapy I have had all season was to watch the scum game again, I invested so much emotion in that game it was impossible for me to assess objectively, spent nearly a week trying to deal with it & deal with it well, genuinely gutted. Whilst watching the games back doesn't change the result it does restore faith in what is a very, very good footballing team.
Video Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur Highlights & Full Match Goals

I don’t think we played poorly but some of our players looked a bit out of sync at times. You can put that down to Liverpool playing really well on the day and perhaps the onset of fatigue.

For example, Kane looked a little indecisive at times and our midfield lost possession with mistimed balls or wrong decision making. That said, it was a very frantic match with both teams pressing the hell out of each other so I’m not surprised we didn’t play to our usual fluidity.

We had chances to win it but then so did Liverpool. A point was a fair result yet I still feel disappointed that we didn’t get all three points.

This.

I highly recommend people watch the game again. We were very good indeed. Sometimes the tension of watching a "must win" game distorts how we feel about the game especially a highly competitive one, add the actual result into the equation and it leaves a negative taste in the mouth. Every single non-Spurs supporting mate of mine has told me it was the best game of football they have watched this season and all of them say that we were the better footballing side, conceded by Liverpool having the better clear cut chances.

For me the most impressive thing that demonstrates how good a technical team we are is how we dealt with Liverpool's press, we played out through the press numerous times, all with accurate one touch passing, a thing of beauty. Yes, there was lots of turn-over they pressed us, this is what happens but just like two boxers in a ring the winner of a closely contested fight still gets hit. Liverpool on the other hand couldn't deal with our press, they lost the ball more than us and were nothing like as assured as us passing through a press. Their pass completion rate was the worst they have experienced all season (BTW Woolwich's worst pass completion figures they have recorded in the past two seasons have been in every game against us)! Just because Klopp said at the end of the game "they pressed better" doesn't make it true, after all he has a reputation he has to protect.

Whilst Son didn't offer us what Lamela has done all season (more aggressive press and ability to turnover possession) unfortunately it was Ali who was our weak link in every dept.

Anyway for those who have a spare 90mins watch it again, if you have an other spare 90mins watch the scum game again too. The best therapy I have had all season was to watch the scum game again, I invested so much emotion in that game it was impossible for me to assess objectively, spent nearly a week trying to deal with it & deal with it well, genuinely gutted. Whilst watching the games back doesn't change the result it does restore faith in what is a very, very good footballing team.
Video Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur Highlights & Full Match Goals

Spot on with all of that.

I thought we were very sloppy bringing it out of the back third. We seemed to force the short passes when a good clearance was in order. The final third again had a lot of sloppy unforced errors.
This all changed when Liverpool got their goal. Spurs really turned it up after the Liverpool goal and turned it up even more after Kane's goal, indicating they wanted all 3. Had we played that way all match, we'd have gotten all 3.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom