Loathing of them?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My time supporting Tottenham started in the 81 cup final first game televised game I remember watching other than Scottish cup finals and Scottish internationals! And was hooked but to me it was just a football match and a team playing in white winning a cup final! Everything associated with totttenham came much,much later history,great players,rivalries etc! Which brings me to my point the rivalry with Woolwich goes back decades for many obvious reasons! But as a supporter in more recent times the loathing,hatred has been quite intense again for obvious reasons, but is this time in history as intense as it's ever been? Was it worse in the 60s,70s or 80s?

TBH it all changed for me when Wenger took over.

I'd grown up like the rest of the world knowing that the scum always played functional , boring football, and their supporters actually recognised that and crowed about it ' One Nil to the ', you know the song.

After about a couple of seasons of Wenger they all ditched their history and suddenly pretended to be footballing
connoisseurs who had always loved the beautiful game.

The first plastic cunts for me, I've hated them more ever since then.

I'd grown up like the rest of the world knowing that the scum always played functional , boring football, and their supporters actually recognised that and crowed about it ' One Nil to the ', you know the song.

After about a couple of seasons of Wenger they all ditched their history and suddenly pretended to be footballing

Yeah ridiculous that they talk about "the Woolwich way" now - it's only one managers style of play.....the previous 25 managers all set them up like Tony Pulis would

Started supporting Spurs in 1967 but think I personally really started to hate them in 1971 when they won the League at the Lane and went on to win the cup. Dark days indeed, and although we've had a few years when we were better, the more recent league standings haven't been great. When we do beat them, it is extra sweet especially if we go behind. Mind you, Chelski are fast becoming a team to hate nearly as much.

Woolwich were always known as ' lucky' or ' boring'

They were never known as a footballing side, as others have written it only changed when wegner arrived, they were long ball merchants, I lost count of the amount of games they won by a single goal, being bundled over the line.

Up the road was where the football was played, with a style and swagger and great players, I was lucky enough to see ardiles and Hoddle, cultured footballers who you would pay to watch train let alone play!

I think I was born hating Woolwich...
I certainly can't remember a time that I didn't.
It took on a stronger feeling though when I started going on my on with my mates.
I have friends and family who are goons and decent people (though one cousin is a typical gooner). ,but for the most part they are all the same. Won't stop talking Woolwich when the going is good,but don't want to know when they have a blip. 90% of them are like this.

My time supporting Tottenham started in the 81 cup final first game televised game I remember watching other than Scottish cup finals and Scottish internationals! And was hooked but to me it was just a football match and a team playing in white winning a cup final! Everything associated with totttenham came much,much later history,great players,rivalries etc! Which brings me to my point the rivalry with Woolwich goes back decades for many obvious reasons! But as a supporter in more recent times the loathing,hatred has been quite intense again for obvious reasons, but is this time in history as intense as it's ever been? Was it worse in the 60s,70s or 80s?
How strange that only a few miles from you, hundreds of miles from the actual match, my love for Spurs started at this match too.

Similar for me.

I went to a predominantly Jewish school... All yids (literally and figuratively). So, ironically, it wasn't until i moved out of London to Nottingham in the late nineties that i had proper exposure to them. My university was full of them. I unfortunately made and am still good friends with a large number. Nearly all of them claim a tenuous association and exhibit a complete lack of desire to actually watch any football in the flesh.

Even playing Forest recently in the League cup, most of them cried "i don't know how to get tickets" and "i don't want to sit in the home end i might get punched".

You add to that their horrific online presence and year upon year of resentment from us always falling short then i would say: yes the animosity is worse than its ever been.

And i want it to stay that way. They hate us more than ever because we are relevant now.

Also, the reception they get at ours every year (turning up with their Chai Lattes in their retro JVC Michael Thomas replica shirt, despite only being 3 when he left) is one of the things that makes me proud to be Tottenham.

Their football under defensively tight, Man in the raincoat. Smithy with the one goal, whilst the cloggers Winterburn, Donkey, Bald and Dixon shut up shop. People that don't remember the time before Wenger, are the self entitled pricks that you see on ArseFanTV complaining. Growing up in Finsbury Park, I was surrounded by those Woolwich supporting wankers and I am afraid to say I even know some as friends ( a complete paradox I know), although they aren't the same delusional plastics and can accept they had it good and have lost their way again.

Liked Woolwich back in the day mainly because of the Irish connection, both North and South, they had Big Pat, Sammy Nelson, Pat Rice, Terry Neill, Liam Brady, Frank Stapleton and David O'Leary....Those days are gone despite poor old Pat Rice hanging on longer than he should.

But after visiting a few forums in the early days of the internet it soon had me wishing the cunts lose every fucking game...

I really hated charlie nicholas, a classic slimy weegie cunt. He was the first player I really took a dislike to, then he signed for the scum and it coincided with me going to a few spurs games with my dad. it was perfect.

Their fans are generally bitter and deluded old men. Not bad people per se, but annoying cunts nonetheless. They still think they're a huge club whilst all they can cling on to now is finishing above us. We're looking up; they're looking down.

My earliest memory of them is Wembley 1991 on the way to Wembley, and being stuck behind a school bus of gooner slags, who were all dishing it out to Spurs fans. After the match the same bunch were in tears, and having a few objects thrown at their coach (just coins - nothing actually threatening...). As a child myself, I found it utterly hilarious.

Chav fans are far worse IMHO. Racist inbred ignorant cunts from shitty white trash suburbs and crap towns in Berkshire, who can drown in a vat of burning acid and that would still be far too nice a way to go. Plus the plastic newbies who just know fuck all about their history, not that there's much on the footballing side.

Woolwich fans are usually those people who everyone thinks are annoying as fuck, but doesn't really want to say it. You'll say things like:

"He is a nice bloke but he is a bit full on" (Translation: He is an annoying cunt)

"He means well but he is a lot to take" (Translation: He tries to have banter but is still a cunt)

"I can only take him in small doses" (Translation: I wish I didn't have to take him in any doses)

Seriously. Think about the Woolwich fans you know and tell me you haven't said one of those phrases about them.

I don't think I hate them so much as pity them.

They want so very much to be such an "authentic", important club. The reality here in North America is that they're a bunch of neophytes and hipsters who were casting about for a convenient club to support that wasn't Barcelona or Man Utd, and Fever Pitch was an easy gateway to allow them to copy someone else's fan experience.

The fact that Fever Pitch is about the old Woolwich, and they never get the difference is what makes them so hilarious. They want so very much to do the right thing, but missed the target by only a few miles in North London. It would be tragic, but since it's not the first time, it's only farce.

I first realised the extreme hatred for them when my old man took me to my the first game at the lane after "Judas Camp bells" signed for woolwich!
My hatred has has pretty much just grew from there! There is Just something about them though that you can sense when meeting them outside of football for the first time, and you wonder why you don't like someone and just think that their a complete and utter Cunt, and then the conversation turns to football like it always does.....
And you realise that their a gooner.

Back
Top Bottom