London's Fields

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mrs Perryman

Supporter
I'm a Cockney Malteser 👑
I originally posted this in the Books thread, but it didn't appear to get the attention that I think it deserves, so putting it here and giving it its own thread.

"London's Fields" is a book by our own Henry Hotspur Henry Hotspur , which has recollections from a cross section of supporters of all the London clubs, including the subject of rivalries.
The "interviews" were recorded so they were captured as a chat between friends, rather than the participant giving a written account, so there was a very natural flow to each account.
It proves that football supporters are a hardy bunch, and that our feelings go so much deeper than just as a spectator of a sport. Every emotion under the sun is spoken about, and some great insights too.
The reports from Wimbledon, Brentford, Charlton and Orient supporters really made interesting reading - they have been through the mill in supporting their teams. You can't accuse them of being glory hunters. It would have been interesting to get the views of the interviewees on the proposals of the ESL, but unfortunately it was published before the proposals.
My favourite remark came from a Millwall supporter - 'many would say we lost the atmosphere of the old Den, but I don't buy that. It isn't about the concrete, it's about the people in it.' Lots more little gems where that came from.
I loved the personal accounts by the author, brought back some great memories, lost count of the times I found myself nodding my head and chuckling to myself remembering those times.
I also loved the lack of statistics and data that usually come with football books these days.
I'd strongly recommend getting this book, and not just because I'm in it! One that was difficult to put down once you start it.

Last edited:
That titles a blast from the past, my old man always talks about walking through London Fields after getting off the bus from Spurs games when he lived in Dalston lol

Never lived in that area but just the mention of it makes me instantly think of this video. Comments so far seems to back it up.

I was born in Malta, came to England two days before my 6th birthday, first home was just off Brick Lane and then moved to Bethnal Green when I was 11, so yes I think that qualifies me as a true Cockney Malteser :)
Do you know Cyprus street? Just off old ford road,the york hall end.

Love that street.Hasnt changed in years and the war memorial is amazing.
Its used in Pennyworth(Batman/Gotham spin off) as his parents home.

Do you know Cyprus street? Just off old ford road,the york hall end.

Love that street.Hasnt changed in years and the war memorial is amazing.
Its used in Pennyworth(Batman/Gotham spin off) as his parents home.
Yes I know Cyprus Street, just round the corner from my old church. Didn't know about the Batman connection :)

I originally posted this in the Books thread, but it didn't appear to get the attention that I think it deserves, so putting it here and giving it its own thread.
"London's Fields" is a book by our own Henry Hotspur Henry Hotspur , which has recollections from a cross section of supporters of all the London clubs, including the subject of rivalries.
The "interviews" were recorded so they were captured as a chat between friends, rather than the participant giving a written account, so there was a very natural flow to each account.
It proves that football supporters are a hardy bunch, and that our feelings go so much deeper than just as a spectator of a sport. Every emotion under the sun is spoken about, and some great insights too.
The reports from Wimbledon, Brentford, Charlton and Orient supporters really made interesting reading - they have been through the mill in supporting their teams. You can't accuse them of being glory hunters. It would have been interesting to get the views of the interviewees on the proposals of the ESL, but unfortunately it was published before the proposals.
My favourite remark came from a Millwall supporter - 'many would say we lost the atmosphere of the old Den, but I don't buy that. It isn't about the concrete, it's about the people in it.' Lots more little gems where that came from.
I loved the personal accounts by the author, brought back some great memories, lost count of the times I found myself nodding my head and chuckling to myself remembering those times.
I also loved the lack of statistics and data that usually come with football books these days.
I'd strongly recommend getting this book, and not just because I'm in it! One that was difficult to put down once you start it.
Thanks for the extra plug and support Mrs P - who is a much valued contributor in my book. I ‘interviewed’ two supporters per team (12 covering the London pro clubs) to provide balance and objectivity to my (at times) subjective take on the clubs and their support. Mrs Perryman (not her real name unfortunately for her...) was fantastic. A real pleasure to talk to. my other contributor comes from this site too.

The book is part memoir (I picked Spurs against all odds and ended up playing for the club as a schoolboy), part exploration of others choices and part perceptions of our local rivals.

Thanks for the support TFCers

I can confirm it is an excellent book. Very well structured and put together too by Henry Hotspur Henry Hotspur

I particularly liked the quote from one of the West Ham fans describing what a day out at the football means to them: "a good day out with mates interrupted by 90 minutes of tedium".

:thumbup:

Thanks for the extra plug and support Mrs P - who is a much valued contributor in my book. I ‘interviewed’ two supporters per team (12 covering the London pro clubs) to provide balance and objectivity to my (at times) subjective take on the clubs and their support. Mrs Perryman (not her real name unfortunately for her...) was fantastic. A real pleasure to talk to. my other contributor comes from this site too.

The book is part memoir (I picked Spurs against all odds and ended up playing for the club as a schoolboy), part exploration of others choices and part perceptions of our local rivals.

Thanks for the support TFCers
You're welcome:). I'm not lying when I said it's a fabulous read for football supporters. It goes to show that there's more that unites us than divides us.
I've given it to my BF, warning him I wasn't very complimentary about his beloved 'ammers, but he's still talking to me, so it can't have been that bad!
Will continue to spread the word.

I was born in Malta, came to England two days before my 6th birthday, first home was just off Brick Lane and then moved to Bethnal Green when I was 11, so yes I think that qualifies me as a true Cockney Malteser :)
Half Cockney Half Malteser , does that make you a

I lack the courage to follow through with the jibe Mrs P , you have made me a better man

Back
Top Bottom