Looking ahead

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So who would you keep and get rid of next season in an ideal world? I'm aware that this season hasn't finished yet and there's still a fair bit to play for, but regardless of what can happen between now and the end of the season, I think everybody knows that changes should and have to be made. We're a massive work in progress.

Lloris - Not the keeper he once was. I'd like to see another number 1 brought into the club, although he's still far from our biggest concern. I love him to bits but the end is nigh as our number one.

Hart - Never liked him seeing as he was largely shit for England and was also in those annoying Wash and Go adverts. Loves himself far too much too. Go.

Aurier - He is what he is, and will always be what he is. Better than Doherty, whatever that means. Not bothered either way.

Doherty - Worse than Aurier by a distance, which takes some doing. An absolute car crash of a signing. Get something back for him, even if it's only a box of Jaffa cakes.

Tanganga - Promising, Still has a way to go. But definitely one for the future. His versatility may become a hinderance for him though in the long run.

Toby - Still capable but not the player he once was. Worth a place in the squad. Keep.

Sanchez - Probably not as bad as some make out, but isn't any better now than he was when he joined 4 years ago. Still has a bit of Titus Bramble about him at times. Sell.

Dier - Has all the mobility of a glacier. Can never fault his commitment and attitude. Shouldn't be a first teamer either as a defender or defensive midfielder for any club with genuine ambition.

Roden - Looks a decent prospect and one very much for the future. Keep.

Davies - Pretty average player. He's been a decent servant for us but would probably sell at the right price.

Reguilon - Quality player and should only get better. Would love to see him playing for us next season.

Hojbjerg - One of our better signings of recent times. Keep.

Winks - Hasn't progressed since he first came onto the scene. Isn't a bad player by any means but often needs to do more. Would sell for the right price, but wouldn't be against him being seen as a squad player which is what he's been this season.

Sissoko - Has an engine, but so does a Reliant Robin. Just a very limited player and not someone we would miss. As a France regular (somehow) he would get us decent money I think. Sell.

Lo Celso - Undecided on him. Clearly has ability but sometimes doesn't do enough. Would keep but we need more from him, more often.

Ndombele - Undoubted quality but doesn't effect games often enough - Yet! Would keep and try to make him feel as loved as possible even if that requires the odd sneaky reach around.

Alli - Probably will do a Lingard and look like the Alli of old for a while should he move, and we'll all be asking why we didn't keep him. Don't see it ever working for him here again though as long as Mourinho is around. Sell for the right price.

Lamela - Still capable of moments of brilliance as we saw recently, but is probably over-staying his welcome at the club now to an extent. He would be brilliant in the slower paced Italian league. Sell, but with a heavy heart,

Bergwijn - Occasionally so promising, but often quite anonymous. Still not sure or convinced about him. Would sell if we could get close to what we paid for him back, but might still come good yet.

Moura - Love the bloke. Can get on your tits at times but probably wouldn't be with us to be honest if he was more consistent. Keep.

Bale - Had a stinker in his last game, although not all his own fault. But has shown enough to suggest that there's still a player in there. If he finishes the season strongly then he might be worth signing in the summer if Real are willing to almost give him away.

Son - Not at his best this season but still one of the few world-class players we have, one that any club in the world would take. Keep him. Adore him.

Vinicius - Doesn't offer an awful lot most of the time but has a goal in him. I'd be perfectly fine with him being part of the squad next season, but wouldn't lose sleep if we didn't sign him.

Kane - The fact that one of the best players in Europe and not just the EPL currently plays for us is something to be proud of. Seems to have a few weirdy-beardy Spurs fans who don't seem to want to give him all the credit and applause he deserves though. Keep, obviously. Unless City offer us a quite ridiculous amount of money and Haaland goes on record to say he wants to join us for some weird reason.

I don’t look any further ahead than HT/FT of the current match, as in “if we can hold on for the next 5 minutes we might get something from this”.

Usually followed by “shit” or “ffs” 2 minutes later.

Last edited:
In an ideal fantasy world where finances and sellability don't matter?

Gk:

Lloris- sell and bring in a younger player- Pope and Areola top choices for me
Hart- get rid, replace with a HG option, especially if Pope not replacing Lloris

RB:

Aurier and Doherty sold
Bring in young RB- Aarons looks good, Lamptey as well but might not be great fit with Reguilon
Lavinier and Tanganga as back-up, Lavanier to play in EL and Cup games, Tanganga to play in PL games in case of injuries

LB:

Reguilon- stays
Davies- sold
Sessegnon brought back as back-up

I also like the idea of potentially bringing in a starting RB that can play either side. Then if Reguilon is injured he could move over there and we could use Tanganga on the right.

CB:

Dier and Sanchez sold

Toby, Rodon, Tanaganga stay.

Bring in one nailed on first choice CB, ideally someone who can play on the left, one young development guy that can also compete to start- Todibo sounds like a nice potential option for this role. Rodon is fine-ish but doesn't look like he will be anything more than 3rd choice at best. Not really keen on him being the supposed future starter at CB.

MF:

Winks, Sissoko, Alli sold

Bring in Skipp and one new MF.

Wings:

Lamela and one of Moura or Bergwijn sold, Bale back to Madrid

Bring in a starting RW, ideally someone who can also fill in at striker if need be. Bring in a young, creative wing, ideally who can also fill in at CAM.

Striker:

Kane stays obviously. Vini returned.

Bring in experienced striker, HG would be nice, that can play in Europa, is fine sitting long periods on the bench, would be 3rd choice PL striker if Kane is injured and the RW is injured/needs break.

Agree with most of OP.

Lloris can perhaps be replaced by Maignan who has one year left on his contract at Lille.

Hart is HG and was free transfer so he may as well stay as 2nd/3rd choice.

We should try and get Aurier to sign a 2 year contract extension as he's been better than Doherty. If he does, sell Doherty. If not, sell him to PSG. I'm happy giving Tanganga a chance to be first choice RB for next season.

Agree with selling Dier & Sanchez. You've missed out Foyth, who has a £13M option to buy for Villarreal. He starts for them, so hopefully we can sell for around 10M.
Reinvest the revenue from those 3 in Andersen and Milenkovic. Am also looking forward to seeing Rodon start more.

Sell Winks, Sissoko, Alli; replace with Sabitzer and Skipp. Rest of midfield can stay.

Bale... after his comments today it looks like he's on the way out. Imo this means we can't buy Vinicius either. We need to buy a guy who can play both RW and be a back up CF. Will be tough to find. Maybe Daka or Leao.

In an ideal fantasy world where finances and sellability don't matter?

Gk:

Lloris- sell and bring in a younger player- Pope and Areola top choices for me
Hart- get rid, replace with a HG option, especially if Pope not replacing Lloris

RB:

Aurier and Doherty sold
Bring in young RB- Aarons looks good, Lamptey as well but might not be great fit with Reguilon
Lavinier and Tanganga as back-up, Lavanier to play in EL and Cup games, Tanganga to play in PL games in case of injuries

LB:

Reguilon- stays
Davies- sold
Sessegnon brought back as back-up

I also like the idea of potentially bringing in a starting RB that can play either side. Then if Reguilon is injured he could move over there and we could use Tanganga on the right.

CB:

Dier and Sanchez sold

Toby, Rodon, Tanaganga stay.

Bring in one nailed on first choice CB, ideally someone who can play on the left, one young development guy that can also compete to start- Todibo sounds like a nice potential option for this role. Rodon is fine-ish but doesn't look like he will be anything more than 3rd choice at best. Not really keen on him being the supposed future starter at CB.

MF:

Winks, Sissoko, Alli sold

Bring in Skipp and one new MF.

Wings:

Lamela and one of Moura or Bergwijn sold, Bale back to Madrid

Bring in a starting RW, ideally someone who can also fill in at striker if need be. Bring in a young, creative wing, ideally who can also fill in at CAM.

Striker:

Kane stays obviously. Vini returned.

Bring in experienced striker, HG would be nice, that can play in Europa, is fine sitting long periods on the bench, would be 3rd choice PL striker if Kane is injured and the RW is injured/needs break.
Good post.
Agree with most of it apart from Moura and Lamela as I said yesterday.

Btw the good thing about Sabitzer is his versatility. In CL against us last year he played as defensive mid in first leg and did well. This season he's been in a slightly more advanced midfield role. He can also play right wing, where he has decent goals/ assist return.
Sabitzer + a RW who can play CF would give us perfect flexibility if Kane gets injured next season.

Good post.
Agree with most of it apart from Moura and Lamela as I said yesterday.

Btw the good thing about Sabitzer is his versatility. In CL against us last year he played as defensive mid in first leg and did well. This season he's been in a slightly more advanced midfield role. He can also play right wing, where he has decent goals/ assist return.
Sabitzer + a RW who can play CF would give us perfect flexibility if Kane gets injured next season.

I think having Lamela, Bergwijn and Moura as 3 of our 4 wing options, with Son, is a problem. There is zero creativity in that group and very poor passing overall. I really think we need at least one player that we can bring into that would help against a parked bus or if we are having a off day attacking with Kane and Son. None of those guys can come in and injection anything into the game like that.

I think having Lamela, Bergwijn and Moura as 3 of our 4 wing options, with Son, is a problem. There is zero creativity in that group and very poor passing overall. I really think we need at least one player that we can bring into that would help against a parked bus or if we are having a off day attacking with Kane and Son. None of those guys can come in and injection anything into the game like that.
How about Lo Celso at RW, with Ndombele Sabitzer Hojbjerg in midfield vs parked buses?

How about Lo Celso at RW, with Ndombele Sabitzer Hojbjerg in midfield vs parked buses?

I would rather take Hojbjerg out and go with GLC, Ndombele, Sabitzer in MF in that case.

GLC is talented enough to play on the wing but I still see a need for a young, creative player there. I tend to get to focused on one player, so doesn't have to be him but for example a guy like Olise for Reading I think adds something(s) that we don't currently have with the 3 guys mentioned. I think if you add him and take out one of the others we have more options.

I would rather take Hojbjerg out and go with GLC, Ndombele, Sabitzer in MF in that case.

GLC is talented enough to play on the wing but I still see a need for a young, creative player there. I tend to get to focused on one player, so doesn't have to be him but for example a guy like Olise for Reading I think adds something(s) that we don't currently have with the 3 guys mentioned. I think if you add him and take out one of the others we have more options.
Olise is a bit too young to be put into first XI. I read an article suggesting that Leeds should buy him but loan him back out to Championship for him to develop.
Bale not signing gives us a serious headache for this transfer window. It would have been nice to focus on GK, CB, CM this window, and worry about RW next year. Now we have a lot to do at once.

So who would you keep and get rid of next season in an ideal world? I'm aware that this season hasn't finished yet and there's still a fair bit to play for, but regardless of what can happen between now and the end of the season, I think everybody knows that changes should and have to be made. We're a massive work in progress.

Lloris - Not the keeper he once was. I'd like to see another number 1 brought into the club, although he's still far from our biggest concern. I love him to bits but the end is nigh as our number one.

Hart - Never liked him seeing as he was largely shit for England and was also in those annoying Wash and Go adverts. Loves himself far too much too. Go.

Aurier - He is what he is, and will always be what he is. Better than Doherty, whatever that means. Not bothered either way.

Doherty - Worse than Aurier by a distance, which takes some doing. An absolute car crash of a signing. Get something back for him, even if it's only a box of Jaffa cakes.

Tanganga - Promising, Still has a way to go. But definitely one for the future. His versatility may become a hinderance for him though in the long run.

Toby - Still capable but not the player he once was. Worth a place in the squad. Keep.

Sanchez - Probably not as bad as some make out, but isn't any better now than he was when he joined 4 years ago. Still has a bit of Titus Bramble about him at times. Sell.

Dier - Has all the mobility of a glacier. Can never fault his commitment and attitude. Shouldn't be a first teamer either as a defender or defensive midfielder for any club with genuine ambition.

Davies - Pretty average player. He's been a decent servant for us but would probably sell at the right price.

Reguilon - Quality player and should only get better. Would love to see him playing for us next season.

Winks - Hasn't progressed since he first came onto the scene. Isn't a bad player by any means but often needs to do more. Would sell for the right price, but wouldn't be against him being seen as a squad player which is what he's been this season.

Sissoko - Has an engine, but so does a Reliant Robin. Just a very limited player and not someone we would miss. As a France regular (somehow) he would get us decent money I think. Sell.

Lo Celso - Undecided on him. Clearly has ability but sometimes doesn't do enough. Would keep but we need more from him, more often.

Ndombele - Undoubted quality but doesn't effect games often enough - Yet! Would keep and try to make him feel as loved as possible even if that requires the odd sneaky reach around.

Alli - Probably will do a Lingard and look like the Alli of old for a while should he move, and we'll all be asking why we didn't keep him. Don't see it ever working for him here again though as long as Mourinho is around. Sell for the right price.

Lamela - Still capable of moments of brilliance as we saw recently, but is probably over-staying his welcome at the club now to an extent. He would be brilliant in the slower paced Italian league. Sell, but with a heavy heart,

Bergwijn - Occasionally so promising, but often quite anonymous. Still not sure or convinced about him. Would sell if we could get close to what we paid for him back, but might still come good yet.

Moura - Love the bloke. Can get on your tits at times but probably wouldn't be with us to be honest if he was more consistent. Keep.

Bale - Had a stinker in his last game, although not all his own fault. But has shown enough to suggest that there's still a player in there. If he finishes the season strongly then he might be worth signing in the summer if Real are willing to almost give him away.

Son - Not at his best this season but still one of the few world-class players we have, one that any club in the world would take. Keep him. Adore him.

Vinicius - Doesn't offer an awful lot most of the time but has a goal in him. I'd be perfectly fine with him being part of the squad next season, but wouldn't lose sleep if we didn't sign him.

Kane - The fact that one of the best players in Europe and not just the EPL currently plays for us is something to be proud of. Seems to have a few weirdy-beardy Spurs fans who don't seem to want to give him all the credit and applause he deserves though. Keep, obviously. Unless City offer us a quite ridiculous amount of money and Haaland goes on record to say he wants to join us for some weird reason.
1 Jose
2-10 the same

Olise is a bit too young to be put into first XI. I read an article suggesting that Leeds should buy him but loan him back out to Championship for him to develop.
Bale not signing gives us a serious headache for this transfer window. It would have been nice to focus on GK, CB, CM this window, and worry about RW next year. Now we have a lot to do at once.

I would probably have Olise off the bench and bring in a new starting RW. Use Olise, or someone like him, in EL/Cup games and to bring on against parked buses/when we are down a goal.

I’m not sure we can afford 2 right wingers.
We have serious issues to sort out elsewhere let’s not forget.

That is based around the rumour of Olise having a low buyout. If it gets expensive then I agree it will be harder to get him. But I am also willing to move more guys out than you are so easier for me to afford it in the hypothetical than you.

That is based around the rumour of Olise having a low buyout. If it gets expensive then I agree it will be harder to get him. But I am also willing to move more guys out than you are so easier for me to afford it in the hypothetical than you.
Yeah, he has got a £8M release clause, which is less than what we'd spend on Bale's wages next year.

This would be a possible line up with 2 RWs bought as you envisaged, with net spend of £20M, but it includes the sale of 8 players. More than 8 not feasible imo.
Football Formation Creator - Make Your Team and Share Tactics

In case you want to check the net spend calculations: #1,027

Here's my thoughts Player by player

Lloris - Might be in somewhat of a decline but still a very good goalkeeper and our captain. Hard to replace a captain and also we need to spend money more in other positions

Hart - Good enough as 2nd or 3rd choice. perfect for that homegrown spot. Keep.

Aurier - Makes too many mistakes. Having a better season but still so many limitations. Not fussed if we keep or sell

Doherty - AWFUL and doesn't fit in , in any formation other than a 5 at the back. We don't play that so quite clearly sell.

Tanganga - Very versatile and plays well in those positions. Youngster too. Keep.

Rodon - Looks very promising but needs more gametime. Keep.

Dier - SELL. No need for an explanation

Alderweireld - Like Lloris not as good as he perhaps was but still quality and still capable of some world class performances. Keep.

Sanchez - Mixed feelings. Would generate the most income of any CB'S and makes too many errors but then again he has some good games. Not fussed what happens with him.

Davies - Good backup player but if a bid comes in would be happy to sell.

Reguilon - One of the best LB'S in the league. Plays really well for us and definitely would keep.

Hojbjerg - Having a good season and one of the best tacklers in the league. KEEP.

Ndombele - Ndomballer. Keep.

Lo Celso - Has a lot of injury issues but is great at linking up midfield and attack. Good player maybe I'd consider a serious offer but I'd be more inclined to keep.

Winks - Has a decent resale value. Not good enough for us and he seemingly has attitude problems. Sell.

Sissoko - So technically limited and recently he hasn't even been putting much effort in. 100% sell.

Dele - Mourinho doesn't like him and to be honest the Dele of 2015 - 2017 is long gone , even under Poch it wasn't there. I'd be very happy to see the back of him.

Lamela - Too many injury problems and very inconsistent. I don't mind keeping him but equally wouldn't mind selling.

Lucas - A guy who puts in so much effort. Barely ever injured and perfect for the cup competitions. Definitely keep.

Bergwijn - A guy very short of confidence but has quality. Keep him for now and help him improve. Work with him harder.

Bale - Still has quality but can't be trusted in big games. Bit of a luxury player. Undecided on whether to keep or send him back.

Son - Obviously Keep

Kane - Obviously Keep

Vinicius - I'd sign him permanently if the price is right. Not £40m worth but maybe £15m worth for sure. He's a poacher with some limitations in his game which means he can't consistently start for us or play ahead of Kane.

Back
Top Bottom