Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Okay, I hate to be the combobraker here... but I don't fully understand some of the expectations here :eek:

Of course I like him, I hope he does brilliantly and all the craziest expectations here will be fulfilled. Also his heroics in spring in CL knockouts will live with us forever - he made me cry happy-tears! And his new contract is clearly good news :) .

But I also still see some very significant issues of his game. His first touch still is too long at times. His speed and dribbling is an asset, but at the same time his passing game/build up of attack and decision making further away from goal is behind Kane, Son, Eriksen and Alli. Last season he scored many goals, but provided 1 assist in EPL and 1 in FA cup. From pacy player who had 30 appearances as winger/second striker over the season, this is bit too little in my eyes.

So yea, as I see it now, he can be our super-sub when most are fit - he can bring directness to the table. But when all (or even most) are fit, I don't see him being starter in most games really.

Okay, I hate to be the combobraker here... but I don't fully understand some of the expectations here :eek:

Of course I like him, I hope he does brilliantly and all the craziest expectations here will be fulfilled. Also his heroics in spring in CL knockouts will live with us forever - he made me cry happy-tears! And his new contract is clearly good news :) .

But I also still see some very significant issues of his game. His first touch still is too long at times. His speed and dribbling is an asset, but at the same time his passing game/build up of attack and decision making further away from goal is behind Kane, Son, Eriksen and Alli. Last season he scored many goals, but provided 1 assist in EPL and 1 in FA cup. From pacy player who had 30 appearances as winger/second striker over the season, this is bit too little in my eyes.

So yea, as I see it now, he can be our super-sub when most are fit - he can bring directness to the table. But when all (or even most) are fit, I don't see him being starter in most games really.

I agree, he needs to improve every aspect of his game if he wants to really make a case for being in the first XI. He's good at popping up with goals but his actual game is very frustrating, he runs into traffic with his head down too much and he seems reluctant to play forward passes/crosses in the final third. It's not surprising to me that Poch sees him more as a striker than a wide forward, I think he's basically a new version of Defoe. He's a poacher and not much more.

Sure he has flaws, but so does every player in our team. Son has sometimes heavy first touch, Eriksen tends to disappear from games nowadays, Alli has been in poor form too, just to give you a few examples. Sure he has 1 assist but as long as he scores 15-20 goals per season he can have 0 assists for all I care. Not to say that this season we have other players who will be focused on assisting our goal scorers, I’m looking at NDombele, Lo Celso, Eriksen if he doesn’t leave and why not even Alli can contribute.
So yeah I don’t give a shit. In my eyes he’s already an icon after that night in Amsterdam.

Sure he has flaws, but so does every player in our team. Son has sometimes heavy first touch, Eriksen tends to disappear from games nowadays, Alli has been in poor form too, just to give you a few examples. Sure he has 1 assist but as long as he scores 15-20 goals per season he can have 0 assists for all I care. Not to say that this season we have other players who will be focused on assisting our goal scorers, I’m looking at NDombele, Lo Celso, Eriksen if he doesn’t leave and why not even Alli can contribute.
So yeah I don’t give a shit. In my eyes he’s already an icon after that night in Amsterdam.

One thing is form (which my change) other is a constant theme.
Btw, Alli, while being in such a bad form scored 7 and assisted 8 (15), Moura tally was 15+2 (17) - only marginally better. And I mean Alli's form was... BAD.

Football is a teamsport. Sorry, in attacking department there are really no "designated scorers" or "designated assisters". It's a part of a flow in attack to make a right decision. Sometimes the right decision is to play it to your teammate who is in better position and stands better chances of scoring.
I think Son is quite a good example of this - he is quite direct with a good shot on him. But last 3 seasons he has pretty much scored 20 and assisted further 10. I think it is much better showing than scoring 20 and assisting 0.

Ofc he is very valuable teammemmber. And hero for his perfomances in CL playoffs. No dispute here.
And I absolutely hope that he will do well and score bagfull of goals!

Football is a teamsport. Sorry, in attacking department there are really no "designated scorers" or "designated assisters". It's a part of a flow in attack to make a right decision. Sometimes the right decision is to play it to your teammate who is in better position and stands better chances of scoring
I think you’re wrong, in an attacking department there are certainly goalscorers and creators, that’s how most tactical systems work.
And why you saying “right decision is to play it to your teammate who is in better position and stands better chances of scoring” it sounds as if Lucas took too many chances on his own and failed, which is incorrect, it sounds more like what Son would do.

I think you’re wrong, in an attacking department there are certainly goalscorers and creators, that’s how most tactical systems work.
And why you saying “right decision is to play it to your teammate who is in better position and stands better chances of scoring” it sounds as if Lucas took too many chances on his own and failed, which is incorrect, it sounds more like what Son would do.

I would add he did exactly the "right decision to play it to your teammate who is in better position" on Saturday, directly resulting in the breakthrough goal.

Lucas certainly has flaws, but, playing in 4 competitions, he will feature a lot -- and has already been a good signing.

Well it is down to debate. I don't think there is actual finitive truth. In my view football was revolutionized with very wide use of inverted wingers. When you had fast wingers who ran to the touchline and put in a cross, you had one main goal outlet in striker and maybe SS/CAM but now in our ranks we have ALMOST equal attackers. Sure some players are expected to score more and assist less (Kane, khm) and others to assist more (Eriksen). But Kane also participates in build-up and plays very-very good passes. And we all know threat of Eriksen shots. So I say that in our front 4, all players must be able to "assist" other teammembers and to score goals on their own. This makes them less predictable and more difficult to defend against.

I even checked - predominant part of the very-very top strikers of past decade and current ones - Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Suarez, Benzema - they pretty much all have ratio of 1 assist per 3-4 games. WHILE being very prolific goalscorers. I admit- there is bit of different breed of strikers as well - Cavani, Aguero, Costa, surprisingly Griezman, even Kane who'se ratio is like 1 assist per 7-8 games played (though I very much assume that Kane ratio will be improving year-on-year, as his involvement in building the attacks has grown). But I doubt that you would suggest that Moura's "poaching" abilities are quite near their level right now?

I just mentioned that yea - some times last season Moura was used as a striker, but according to the Transfermarkt still majority of them came from being AM/RW. And players in those positions should contribute in build-up/creating assists more. But as it was already mentioned here in the thread- Moura is indeed off to good start in that sense this season - up to now his tally is 1 EPL game 1 assist :) I very much hope that he will be able to improve this aspect of his game !

P.S elaborated some thoughts later as I was in a hurry when I wrote the original answer.

Last edited:
Poch not picking Lucas for the CL final upset the footballing gods and that's why we lost imo

Such a shame, that trophy should be sitting proudly at NWHL

Lucas should get 15 plus goals this season. If he us given enough minutes..........

It was only after his introduction and goal that Spurs looked capable of getting something on the break.
Last 15 minutes or so City ran out of ideas and Spurs had a few moments on the break that looked promising but didn’t bear any fruit.

Pure happiness

ECMddSEXsAAg9zE

EDIT: Tanguy is 22 :pochshock2: :adesalute:

Lol. Totally agree with you. Somehow dude scores a hat trick in the CL Semifinal and takes us to the CL Final, but he is “lacking”.

Back
Top Bottom