Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Today was the perfect example of why fans calling for 'our lord saviour Lucas' to start every game ought to wind it in.

Always been hot and cold - you never know which Lucas will turn up. 1 in 3 or 4 games he is a top player. The rest of the time he looks like he would be good on a school playground, and little else.

I don't think it was a bad choice to start him today at home either. He just failed in everything he attempted it felt to me.

Arguably one of our most naturally gifted players.
Could also argue he is one of our least effective team players.

Pretty sure he's never been deemed that.

I love the guy, but he's more effective as a sub. There is a place for him in our team, but it's not in the starting eleven.

I agree. A player to come on to stretch a tired defence but nothing more. Ball retention is appalling but then he was in good company yesterday with Ali, Son and Kane

Last edited:
I kind of feel like he shouldn't start against high quality sides.

He is effective and will get goals if the opposition is poor or play a high line but he isn't at a level where a top defender will have too much trouble with him and he doesn't offer enough outside of goals to be much use.

I feel like he is way more effective out right than left. Didn't seem to take up the right positions vs Norwich. Would rather see Lo Celso there than him. Hope Mou will try that next time they are out there together at the wings.

Moura just seems to have games where he’s got the beating of the opposition and games where he just can’t get close. He’s had good games where he’s started and good games from the bench. He seems to try hard but he’s also very naive. He’s got enough key goals to warrant persevering with, but not every game.

Lucas should be a rotation option for games where we need to rest our starters or for bringing on against tired defenders. Unfortunately when he starts it's often the same thing too frequently of dribble at defenders and get nowhere, or misplacing passes / not seeing the best pass because he is a heads-down player.

He's obviously a talent and a very useful player to have, but we can't be giving him 90 each game as he has proven that he has more anonymous games than effective ones.

Yeah, the hattrick, the equaliser against Barca to scrape us out of the group stage, any other goals he's scored for us, actual hard work and endeavour, 35 caps for Brazil...

Take those away and he's on par with Clinton N'jie, who made 8 appearances in our shirt, scored no goals, and has done nothing of note anywhere else, ever.

Chadli was better defensively, and he didn't constantly run into cul-de-sacs and give the ball away (he was probably a better crosser of the ball too, but it's hard to say since he was on the wing, and Moura plays infield, so he doesn't have many opportunities). Lucas Moura is better technically, but he actually uses his ability to his own disadvantage by holding the ball too long, and taking risks that don't need taking. For me, he's not much more than a better-finishing Erik Lamela.

Loved Chadli when he was here. Was he going to propel us to a league or cup trophy, no but he’s better than Moura almost in every aspect of the game. He also had the occasional game where he played a blinder. Remember that home game where we beat Chelsea’s Mourinho?

Back
Top Bottom