Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm in favour of Lucas. He's a top player. Ok. He loses possession sometimes, bit he tries to make things happen.
He's not a play it safe tiki taka kinda cunt. He's a direct silky bastard kinda cunt.
I'm all for it

He was mega tonight for us.

I'm in favour of Lucas. He's a top player. Ok. He loses possession sometimes, bit he tries to make things happen.
He's not a play it safe tiki taka kinda cunt. He's a direct silky bastard kinda cunt.
I'm all for it

Got to have players like him in your squad for the money we paid for him. The little man is relentless in his desire to win, leaves everything out there, genuinely loves the game and pops up with vital goals. Has the personality to be a winner and is absolutely worth a place as part of THFC.

Well and truly in the Lucas in camp like yourself Sausage

Not a ST really is he simple as, as soon as Dele came in and he wasn't the focal point looked much better. Seems to always pop up when we need him to but he is always gonna be wasteful and pick wrong options. If he had a football brain he would be WC but don't think he ever will

Got to have players like him in your squad for the money we paid for him. The little man is relentless in his desire to win, leaves everything out there, genuinely loves the game and pops up with vital goals. Has the personality to be a winner and is absolutely worth a place as part of THFC.

Well and truly in the Lucas in camp like yourself Sausage
Even though I agree with almost every line. He shouldn't be playing where he is playing or as much as he is playing. Unless he fixes his problem of head down dribble first mentality. He has been bringing down more in team offense than hes contributing. I think he contributes more in defense than in offense.

Even though I agree with almost every line. He shouldn't be playing where he is playing or as much as he is playing. Unless he fixes his problem of head down dribble first mentality. He has been bringing down more in team offense than hes contributing. I think he contributes more in defense than in offense.

Sadly we have little choice other than to be playing him as regularly as we have been.

In a nutshell if we have a fully fit squad we start with Son, Dele and Bergwijn behind Kane. Lucas as an option to rotate with or impact games is a top option to have. He has pedigree and can make things happen. His desire is relentless and he's a happy character. That in itself can sometimes offer intangible qualities to others you don't directly see because of Lucas on the pitch. For £23m or whatever it was, he's been an excellent buy.

One to many touches 90% of the time. If him and Son would just pick there heads up these last few games they would each have another goal and assist.

For real though we all see what his flaw is, why this isn’t addressed more during training is beyond me. Just get him to pick his head up. I know a tough habit to break but I hope it’s at least discussed between him and the coaching staff. I’m a fan of Lucas for sure, him and Winks give there all every game. Just wish he could improve on this.

For everyone slating Lucas for bad numbers: mind that he's playing out of position for most of his career in our shirt. Also I can't stand playing long balls to him positioned on 9, as he's fucking midget. And yet he wins these duels (I have no idea how), and pops up with important goals and contributes here and there. If he could lift his head up and find a pass he'd be worth 100m.

For everyone slating Lucas for bad numbers: mind that he's playing out of position for most of his career in our shirt. Also I can't stand playing long balls to him positioned on 9, as he's fucking midget. And yet he wins these duels (I have no idea how), and pops up with important goals and contributes here and there. If he could lift his head up and find a pass he'd be worth 100m.

Still only 27 so still time for him to reach his peak. Could have another 4-5 good years in him. He's a very important squad member

So that's how you rate a player? Since Mourinho took over?

Yes and no.

He is using some players differently (and with different frequency). But to me most important difference has been that Moura was not nailed on starter before. Now he is. And you do expect more from a player if he starts game after game after game.

Happy to see that he scored important goal yesterday and was also quite important in ManCity game - so I'll give him credit where credit is due!

Both Moura and Son yesterday were too easily dispoccessed and whilst we were clinical against MC against Southampton we should have scored more. When Kane enters the opposition box, the only way a defender gets the ball off him is to give away a penalty but defenders can get clean tackles in against Moura.

Super sub but most of his important goals have come from when he’s started? Ok

interesting, I hadn’t noticed that. Are you sure you’re actually correct? Minutes per goal I bet he has a better record as sub when the opposition is tiring and his head down style works better.

Still, regardless, I just don’t see him as a good enough player to start.

Last edited:
I'm all for it

Seems Mourinho is too.

He frustrates me at times, but the number of times he's popped up with a crucial goal in knock-out games, cannot be a coincidence. So from that perspective, I'm happy he's on the pitch.

He has the technical skill, pace, work rate etc. He just makes terrible decisions sometimes. I also don’t think he’s ever played in his actual position, right wing in a 4-3-3. I think Mourinho will play that formation next season and we’ll see a lot more from Lucas

If we actually worked on specifics on our counter-attacks then I'm sure at least one but probably more of them would have resulted in a goal yesterday.

It's very easy to say "their" decision making was poor but had the team worked on simple specifics like:
a) When we have an overload then have the runners (players not on the ball) help the player on the ball by taking targeted positions, a space to run into. So, if Lucas is on the ball he knows that Son will be running to e.g. the near post channel.
b) When on the counter lets have it supported by a player running behind it to provide a cut back if the oppo has tracked the runners.
c) Have our runners cross-over, or split to create space

Both Son and Lucas are heads down runners when on the ball, knowing where their teammates are running to (back post, front post, wherever) means it's one less decision to make, it's now about do I continue to carry the ball or do I pass it now, they don't have to worry about knowing where their teammate is running to as this is already determined.

In the same vein, when we are hoofing it out from the back, why are we putting the ball up in the air for either Son or Lucas to win? They lost every header (Lucas has a good leap on him when attacking the ball in the box) both him and Son simply lose this aerial duel every single time. So why not just hoof it out for a throw-in that advances us up the pitch and might pin them in a bit. Or hoof it to a specific defender that we think is their weakest in the air/or even their weakest on the ball and let him take possession but then target him with a press once he's on the ball?

TDLR - Help them by reducing the decisions that need to be made. Have our attacks involve using our strengths, whilst targeting their perceived weakness.

If Jose ever solidifies the back so that we can press high, Moura will be great. He attacks the ball all the time. Throw in crucial goals and he is very valuable. Even as a sub he will contribute.

Back
Top Bottom