Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hopefully Jose has worked him out tactically.

He has absolutely zero business playing through the middle. He doesn't know what to do, he runs into his own players and he gets confused.

Stick him on the wing and get him to stretch the opposition. If he plays on the left like today, it gives Son the opportunity to play through the middle.

Only saw it on MoTD, but he played a couple of great through balls to Kane from wide on the left. Either or both HK could have scored from.

Assists is one thing that he's been poor at. Or even passing in general. Has JM found a way to make him a more complete player?

It's funny lots of people were saying sell...nah just bloody coach him. He can be used as a very effective weapon. Rather like Aaron Lennon you know what he is going to do but it's not always easy to stop him. Get him out of Son and Harry's way and let him do exactly what he did yesterday and urge him to keep it bloody simple.

Only saw it on MoTD, but he played a couple of great through balls to Kane from wide on the left. Either or both HK could have scored from.

Assists is one thing that he's been poor at. Or even passing in general. Has JM found a way to make him a more complete player?

He did a much better job of taking a minute to look around and see what was happening rather than his usual head down run fast or shoot. I am not sure if it was just a lucky one off or because he was lined up so wide (although he has been wide in the past and still run into the middle all the time) but he seemed to be a different player yesterday.

His highlights reel from yesterday:

I was definitely starting to be swayed by the 'sell Lucas' camp, but holy crap if this might just change things. First of all, where the hell did that passing vision come from? Second of all, if José can keep him out wide to avoid the previous fumbles where he, Son, and Kane are all falling over one another centrally, he could be very valuable indeed.

His highlights reel from yesterday:

I was definitely starting to be swayed by the 'sell Lucas' camp, but holy crap if this might just change things. First of all, where the hell did that passing vision come from? Second of all, if José can keep him out wide to avoid the previous fumbles where he, Son, and Kane are all falling over one another centrally, he could be very valuable indeed.

I agree. To me, the formation and tactics enabled us to generate more space in the final third. In previous games, things got congested on the final third. A player like Lucas is at his best when he has room to run.

For all those saying he shouldn't start

He made 10 tackles today (that's ridicously high , more than the likes of Ndidi make per game)
Made the most dribbles and was just so solid down that side

Full credit to him he was fantastic , my MOTM for sure
Thought everyone was a bit harsh recently, I know he hasn’t been scoring and I’m shocked at his record too but he does push the ball forward well.

He had a good game against Woolwich for sure. I agree with that.
I had been harsh critic of his performances of late, but I totally admit that he was immensly useful in that outing.
Someone asked when was the last game he was really good - now we can say - "in last NLD".

but I strongly disagree that "everyone was bit harsh recently" - hey, if you are awfully useless in previous 4 games and have 1 very good game, it does not mean that the previous games wouldn't have been bad. This is not how it works.

I, as Spurs fan, would be more than happy if he will keep such performances up and put them in week after week. If he would he'd be worthy to be a starter. Cause he offered also good passes / through balls in attack in that game. People mention his tackles amount which is awesome but for me an attacking player has to contribute in this section as well, and he did this time. But I honestly are not too optimistic he will keep it up in next games. Hope I am wrong though.

but I strongly disagree that "everyone was bit harsh recently" - hey, if you are awfully useless in previous 4 games and have 1 very good game, it does not mean that the previous games wouldn't have been bad. This is not how it works.
As much as I am disappointed by his scoring and assists record, which is not good, he does play a role in the attack where he is entrusted to push the ball forward, something he does quite well I think.

Lucas Moura has been working hard all season in a very difficult situation. Even when he was stuck as our lone forward he never stopped working, running, jumping, trying. Glad to see him getting some praise.

He's still too inconsistent, if he put in the level of performance every week that he did in the NLD, no one would be saying anything about selling him. We all know his ability.

Another one that should be a squad player instead of a regular though tbh, we only signed him as he wasn't wanted at PSG and was going cheap(ish).

One of the few players that we seem to have that can beat a man with skill tbh.

I think Lucas might be the ultimate big game player for us. He’s scored some vital goals in big matches and puts a performance in.

I’ve been critical of him recently, and some of it is probably warranted, but he looks like he’s a big figure in the dressing room as well as in the big games.

As much as I am disappointed by his scoring and assists record, which is not good, he does play a role in the attack where he is entrusted to push the ball forward, something he does quite well I think.

I respectfully disagree.
Just occasionally carrying the ball forward (more often this is a job for Sissoko & Lo Celso) without doing anything with (either passing it back; failing to complete a pass; running to 3 defenders and losing it) it in the end is not really significant input into attacking play.

If he will consistently will be able to find a teammate with the ball after bringing it forward (like in NLD), it will be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom