Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't hate him (like someone asked earlier). But I do acknowledge that he is just not really good footballer. I am thankful for that magic night in Amsterdam and I respect him for the way he seems to care about the club and colors. I can't say that he does not put in a shift. I see him trying his best pretty much all the time.

Just... unfortunately this best is not good enough.
His 1st touch is shocking (basically just bounces off him), his decisionmaking and awareness what is going on around him is below average and his passing / crossing ability are not good enough. I mean, come on, the lad has been here 3 years (!) and has been able to produce 13 assists (!) . That is utterly poor. What makes it even worse - only 7 out of them have come in toughest competitions (EPL+CL). So let that sink in - for every 12 months with us, he has managed to assist 2,3 goals. His other shortcomings mean that beside almost not creating anything for the team, he gives ball away far too often.

Sorry to say, but he has not worked out and he is not getting any younger. I think we should move on and invest the money to a attacking player that is able to contribute and take at least some of the pressure off from Kane and Son. Sure, Bergwijn has not been setting the league on fire either, but at least he is younger and has better ball control + vision. Both of them work hard and run a lot.

Performed slightly better than his PL start the other day but that’s not saying much by his standard. Once again offered nothing on our attacks and even defense. He’s just here for the free ride at this point.

Sometimes a simple straight line forward pass that doesnt require much vision is available and he completely ignores that option and runs into traffic. He has all the attributes to be a good player but his brain chooses not to.

Sorry, what is this table? The results of all the free kicks these players have taken that ended in goals? How can there only be a total of 2 (between all 3 players) that ended up with a shot being saved, hitting the post, getting a deflection or an own goal?

Or is it just their overall contributions this season? (In which case I don't understand the relevance - the previous comment was about free-kicks, not general contribution to goals. Also, that would mean Kane and Son haven't had any shots saved. :/

Sorry if I'm being thick. :/

Last edited:
Sorry, what is this table? The results of all the free kicks these players have taken that ended in goals? How can there only be a total of 2 (between all 3 players) that ended up with a shot being saved, hitting the post, getting a deflection or an own goal?

Or is it just their overall contributions this season? (In which case I don't understand the relevance - the previous comment was about free-kicks, not general contribution to goals. Also, that would mean Kane and Son haven't had any shots saved. :/

Sorry if I'm being thick. :/
Lucas has been involved in 11 goals. The 3rd most of all our players.
6 goals 3 assists and 2 shots he made that hit the post or were saved and resulted in another player scoring.

Last edited:
I thought he had a decent game today but not sure he is consistent enough to be more than a squad player. I love his passion for our Club though, so it wouldn't upset me too much if he stayed.

Lucas has been involved in 11 goals. The 3rd most of all our players.
6 goals 3 assists and 2 shots he made that hit the post or was saved and resulted in another player scoring.
Aha, I was being thick then, sorry! I thought you were challenging the previous poster on his suggestion that Lucas should be ahead of Kane on free kicks.

I'm not surprised by that table - I think Lucas gets an unfair amount of stick on here, despite working his arse off in most games, tracking back, somehow being better in the air than anyone in midfield or attack other than Kane, and having more end product than most. Controversial and unfashionable on here I know, but I actually like him.

I thought he had a decent game today but not sure he is consistent enough to be more than a squad player. I love his passion for our Club though, so it wouldn't upset me too much if he stayed.
I don't think he's even good enough to be a squad player any more. He's got to do more against an 8th tier team. He plays mostly the weak sides now, so his numbers are up a bit, that's all. If we sold him, we could find so many cheaper options to do what he does. Why waste our time?

Good memories, and maybe we can send him off with some trophies, but he's got to go asap.

I don't think he's even good enough to be a squad player any more. He's got to do more against an 8th tier team. He plays mostly the weak sides now, so his numbers are up a bit, that's all. If we sold him, we could find so many cheaper options to do what he does. Why waste our time?

Good memories, and maybe we can send him off with some trophies, but he's got to go asap.

“Not good enough to be a squad player”

“Numbers are up because he plays against the weaker sides”

Guys (and mrs. P) that’s what makes him a squad player.

For many many years I have been critical of so called attacking players with few goals. It is not sustainable to rely on just 2 players for the vast majority of goals and others must contribute. Vinny has shown he can score goals but play him with Son and Kane would mean their roles changing. However all the other so called attacking players, Moura, Bale, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Dele, Lo Celso must improve their goal contribution if we are to be sucessful. Poch's team had Son, Kane, Dele and Eriksen all contributing and we need to replace the contribution of Dele and Eriksen somehow. If any one of the above named attacking players starts scoring then they must play even if their tracking back is not as good as others.

It is crazy to think how low the bar is for some fans to think that he played great today.

He tried hard and was helped by the WBA but even then looked outmatched for most of the game.

Back
Top Bottom