Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Played really poor today IMO. This is the type of game where he needs to be leading from the front and getting the link up play going. Had tonnes of space too many times during the game. Kane and Son can be at 6s or 7s out of 10 for games like this and still score goals but Moura needs to be a 9 or a 10 every game in order to get up his goal and assist stats, otherwise he’ll always be the weak link in that front 3. Harsh I know but that’s how I see it
Yeah I know what you mean. Honestly think we would be better off with Gil who passes the ball better…. Lucas did well in bursts, I thought he was ok today - as good as you can expect from him. The goal was superb

Played really poor today IMO. This is the type of game where he needs to be leading from the front and getting the link up play going. Had tonnes of space too many times during the game. Kane and Son can be at 6s or 7s out of 10 for games like this and still score goals but Moura needs to be a 9 or a 10 every game in order to get up his goal and assist stats, otherwise he’ll always be the weak link in that front 3. Harsh I know but that’s how I see it
I thought Lucas was good for the most part today. He gave their defense a lot of headache and a lot to think about. Remember, it was his play that ultimately led to our 3rd and winning goal. Easy to say that he has no end product but we did end up getting a goal from his work.

I thought Lucas was good for the most part today. He gave their defense a lot of headache and a lot to think about. Remember, it was his play that ultimately led to our 3rd and winning goal. Easy to say that he has no end product but we did end up getting a goal from his work.
Sure, I getcha but his overall play was pretty poor so that one key pass kind of masks the situation. I also think that his runs straight toward the defence also mask his effectiveness. How many times does he run down a dark alley with no end product? IMO, he probably should have got a goal today and a player of his ability, on the right side of a top 3, should be getting 10+ goals and a few assists per season. He needs to me mopping up against these lower sides and he just didn’t today. Obviously an unpopular opinion.

Sure, I getcha but his overall play was pretty poor so that one key pass kind of masks the situation. I also think that his runs straight toward the defence also mask his effectiveness. How many times does he run down a dark alley with no end product? IMO, he probably should have got a goal today and a player of his ability, on the right side of a top 3, should be getting 10+ goals and a few assists per season. He needs to me mopping up against these lower sides and he just didn’t today. Obviously an unpopular opinion.
I get that. But if he had end product, he might be one of the best wingers in the league and he'd be a 60 million + rated winger. Seriously. Him and Traore do everything pretty well except that final pass and/or shot.

Incredibly frustrating player. Admire his work ethic and attitude, but man he losses the ball cheaply. Some seriously shite passes and blind alley runs, but of course made the third goal superbly.

Sadly, lacks the consistency, goals/assists, and decision -making to be a top, top player. Still, I'm glad he's at the club.

Incredibly frustrating player. Admire his work ethic and attitude, but man he losses the ball cheaply. Some seriously shite passes and blind alley runs, but of course made the third goal superbly.

Sadly, lacks the consistency, goals/assists, and decision -making to be a top, top player. Still, I'm glad he's at the club.

Yep, that pretty much sums up my thoughts too. Numerous times today he worked really hard to move the ball forward, but it was all for nothing in the end as he ran into defenders or made a poor choice of pass. He was really walloping the ball a bit today too and overhitting passes which gave the ball away.

I get that. But if he had end product, he might be one of the best wingers in the league and he'd be a 60 million + rated winger. Seriously. Him and Traore do everything pretty well except that final pass and/or shot.
Completely agree with yeah but is that not we should be trying to emulate? We’re not there right now but this club should be competing for every competition they play in, anything less…well you know the rest.

Moura is the quintessential super sub, higher energy, and runs the defence ragid.

Wouldn’t mind giving Gil a go on that side of the pitch because any goals or assists would, from a stat point of view, be an upgrade on our current situation.

Exactly this. Cant knock his work rate and he does some decent things but to be one of the front 3 and not offer up any goals or assists just heaps pressure on Kane and Son. Same as last season before Bale started playing a bit more. Raphina or even Sarr from Watford would make a huge difference to our forward play. One of the 'must upgrades' in the next 2 windows.

Exactly this. Cant knock his work rate and he does some decent things but to be one of the front 3 and not offer up any goals or assists just heaps pressure on Kane and Son. Same as last season before Bale started playing a bit more. Raphina or even Sarr from Watford would make a huge difference to our forward play. One of the 'must upgrades' in the next 2 windows.
You're forgetting that 3rd goal was in large part due to Lucas. Son and Kane will get the credit though at the end of the season when we forget about Lucas's work.

He also hit the bar today with a fantastic header. Another day, it would have gone in.

All in all, looked like one of the most threatening players as he usually is every game.

Kane doesnt get the assist and Son doesnt get the goal if Lucas doesnt get away from the Newc player and plays the ball to kane. Also his header could have gone in with a very tiny bit of luck. He was definitely productive. An upgrade or competition wouldnt hurt though.

Absolute nonsense.

Was very good today. Worked really hand and was involved in creating chances.

He was part of the weird start, the first ten minutes or so. He looked half asleep, like he couldnt be arsed. As did the rest of them during that period, bar Ndombele.

After that, he played quite well and he was brilliant for the 3rd goal. His play overall definitely merits a place in the first XI right now.

It's not just his ability to dribble (break oppo defensive lines) that's great it's that he presses.............

cr7_pressures-1229x1536.png

The above I stole from an interview about the problem with Ronaldo (I think we have the same issue with Kane but not as pronounced as Kane is also a great number 10, so a bit peeved that Kane wasn't listed above but suspect him to be around Ronaldo's vicinity).

Lucas is our attacking workhorse that does the dirty work to allow Son and Kane to get in easier scoring positions. It is the same role that Traore filled for Nuno's Wolves.

He presses, he chases balls and opponents down, he carries and progresses the ball further up field and he opens areas of space for our more lethal strikers to operate in. And he has better defensive work rate than Traore as well.

Ideally and hopefully he will start chipping in with goals and assists as well but he starts most games for a reason.

Lucas is our attacking workhorse that does the dirty work to allow Son and Kane to get in easier scoring positions. It is the same role that Traore filled for Nuno's Wolves.

He presses, he chases balls and opponents down, he carries and progresses the ball further up field and he opens areas of space for our more lethal strikers to operate in. And he has better defensive work rate than Traore as well.

Ideally and hopefully he will start chipping in with goals and assists as well but he starts most games for a reason.
For a small guy his ability in the air is phenomenal. Very unlucky with the header onto the bar.

I've always felt we don't use his aerial threat enough. If he's pushed up on the oppo back 4 then his flick ons could send Kane and Son away for one on ones.

Back
Top Bottom