Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Antonio Conte admits Lucas Moura could become a wing-back

Tottenham head coach Antonio Conte has revealed that he may deploy Lucas Moura as a wing-back and compared a possible position change to that of Ivan Perisic.

Moura has almost exclusively played as a right winger at Spurs but did feature as a striker during the Mauricio Pochettino era. However, Conte has used him at right wing-back in Tottenham's two pre-season games this week and the Brazilian has looked comfortable in this new position.

Spurs have all but completed the signing of Djed Spence, whose pace and dribbling ability will add another dimension to their wing-back options.

But Conte has admitted Moura's place in the starting XI could be at wing-back, and compared such a prospect to summer signing Perisic making a similar positional conversion during their time together at Inter.

"I spoke to Lucas and I think this could be a good option [to play at wing-back]," Conte said after Spurs' 1-1 draw with Sevilla on Saturday.

"In the past I made Perisic in this position. Before a winger and to become a wing-back. He has the quality. The most important thing is the player has to be 100% ready to do it, but he is available for us.

"Lucas can play in many roles. I'm very happy for his commitment and tonight I think he played a good game."

Tottenham head coach Antonio Conte has revealed that he may deploy Lucas Moura as a wing-back and compared a possible position change to that of Ivan Perisic.

Moura has almost exclusively played as a right winger at Spurs but did feature as a striker during the Mauricio Pochettino era. However, Conte has used him at right wing-back in Tottenham's two pre-season games this week and the Brazilian has looked comfortable in this new position.

Spurs have all but completed the signing of Djed Spence, whose pace and dribbling ability will add another dimension to their wing-back options.

But Conte has admitted Moura's place in the starting XI could be at wing-back, and compared such a prospect to summer signing Perisic making a similar positional conversion during their time together at Inter.

"I spoke to Lucas and I think this could be a good option [to play at wing-back]," Conte said after Spurs' 1-1 draw with Sevilla on Saturday.

"In the past I made Perisic in this position. Before a winger and to become a wing-back. He has the quality. The most important thing is the player has to be 100% ready to do it, but he is available for us.

"Lucas can play in many roles. I'm very happy for his commitment and tonight I think he played a good game."

Lucas definitely has some of the attributes of a good wingback.

Pretty good tackler/presser
Energy to go up and down the pitch
Can carry the ball up the pitch with dribbling
Decent cross
Decent and getting on the end of crosses
Composure in front of goal
He's even pretty good in the air

The are two areas of concern, whether he can focus for 90 mins, and his ability to play out the back cos he's got a trampoline first touch.

Decent cross

The are two areas of concern, whether he can focus for 90 mins, and his ability to play out the back cos he's got a trampoline first touch.

I think his starting position was off today but he will get better, in my opinion is a better option than Emerson, I like Emerson's attitude but like Sanchez it's like he isn't a footballer half the time

Decent cross

Physically he's lacking too..... Lucas v (eg) Mane would be a massacre.

Physically he's lacking too..... Lucas v (eg) Mane would be a massacre.
Yeah, but we won't be facing Mane until the CL final...

More seriously, whilst we currently have 4 RWBs, only Emerson is good defensively. And Emerson is the most likely to be sold, because there probably is a market for him.

Spence may be a good 1 v 1 defender, but I've not seen enough to know for sure.

If we go into the season with Lucas, Spence & Doherty as our RWB options, then Conte doesn't have the tactical option to put a good defender into the lineup against top teams.

More seriously, whilst we currently have 4 RWBs, only Emerson is good defensively. And Emerson is the most likely to be sold, because there probably is a market for him.

If we go into the season with Lucas, Spence & Doherty as our RWB options, then Conte doesn't have the tactical option to put a good defender into the lineup against top teams.

More questions than answers atm, innit..... Which is why I'm making itchy posts like this in other threads:

[re: WBs] Admittedly, it's only pre-season, but it feels like we're treading water in terms of our evolution into full-on Conte-ball..... We're still playing 21/22 Conte-ball lite atm and it feels like the emphasis remains on Harry playing quarterback for the other 2 fwds; which isn't really the end game (rather, just a fortunate additional option due to Harry being a beast).

From what little I've seen Spence likes a tackle so fingers crossed we're not too thin on that front.

As pointed out by Conte himself, he has converted several wingers to wingbacks already - meaning their defensive traits are not critical.

We have 3 good CBs with 2 from 4 of the best tackling CMs in the league ahead of them - plenty of protection.

We need our wingbacks first and foremost to be able to:
- Actually possess a goal threat
- Provide good delivery
- Ball carrying ability

Only Doherty really ever looked a goal threat last season and he has plenty of deficiencies in other areas.

I don't care if it's vs Man City or vs Nottingham Forest, I want our fullbacks to offer an attacking threat and I think Conte does too.

Lets let other teams worry about our style of play.

I think the play against big teams will not involve more defensive-minded wingbacks but rather a 3 man midfield with a Maddison-type as the 10.

It would be a sweet irony if the solution to our right wing back problem was in fact, here all along, in the form of Lucas. Conte said it, it needs the player to accept it. Maybe the signings of Deki and Richarlison have led Lucas to reassess his chances of playing in the front 3. I have my doubts he can be the wing back we need, but it's interesting that Conte, who knows a thing or two about the subject, is now talking about it as a real possibility.

Whilst Lucas might have serious flaws playing against some opponents as WB, he doesn't have to play against those opponents - he seems happy to be a squad player nowadays, so if Conte could work his magic on him and make him a WB for use against some sides, then play someone else against other sides, I'd have no problem with that.

I'd also not expect it to be a problem for the player - he has always done whatever is asked of him to the best of his abilities, in numerous positions (including occasionally an out and out centre forward, which obviously didn't really work) - if Conte believes he can turn Lucas into a top WB, I'd be amazed if the player didn't throw everything he has into it, he seems like that kind of guy.

Personally I'd still be sceptical of his ability to play out wide - I'm one of his biggest fans, but I admit that he is much more effective centrally where his kamikaze running is less predictable and often ends up giving us set pieces in dangerous areas. Whilst often criticised for his final ball and decision making, some of his assists when playing centrally have actually been quite sublime. But if Conte thinks he can transform him into a useful WB, I'd be all behind it - at least we know the player has the right mentality and will give everything, which is always a great start.

get in.

If Lucas is going to get time at RWB, I’m not sure how we can manage to keep Royal, Doherty and Spence.

Hopefully we can shift Emerson for close to 20m
Yeah, I think we sell Emerson, keep Doherty who can play on the left in an injury crisis and provides experienced cover on the right. 5 wingbacks seems like a good amount for this slightly strange season we have ahead. (Perisic, Sess, Doherty, Spence, Lucas).

I also don’t think this is necessarily a Lucas starts at WB thing. But tactically bringing him on when we need more attack while still leaving our top 3 attackers on could be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom