Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Lucas is going to get time at RWB, I’m not sure how we can manage to keep Royal, Doherty and Spence.

Hopefully we can shift Emerson for close to 20m

i think Cone just didn't want to play Royal there again., now Spence is all but confirmed there's no need to cover our bases by including him. His words could hint that he is saying he needs another attacker as Moura is now a WB so not an option in attack where we only have 4

I'm guessing that you didn't see Doherty occupy the LWB position today?
I don't think pre season means much, he did ok there a couple of times last season. And it's basically only a thing if both Perisic and Sessegnon are both injured.

If you went on this game, then Hojbjerg would have his contract terminated. But its pre season and means nothing, same is true for people going overboard about Sarr.

If we have £150M to burn and are serious about competing this season then Doherty should be nowhere a LWB starter in any game. Awful there and is not that much better on the right. I think some people went ott on his performances in a few games before injury. He did ok nothing more than you’d expect.

If we have £150M to burn and are serious about competing this season then Doherty should be nowhere a LWB starter in any game. Awful there and is not that much better on the right. I think some people went ott on his performances in a few games before injury. He did ok nothing more than you’d expect.

He's only playing there cause Perisic isn't available

Interesting comments from Lucas Moura on his own ambitions, potential move to WB, and the squad make-up.

Also confirmation that he has one year left on his contract, with the club holding an option to extend by a further year.

----------------------------------------------

‘This season we can see another Tottenham,’ said Lucas Moura, who will commit to the cause by trusting Conte to convert him from a forward into a wing-back. ‘We have a quality squad and a great manager. We have the quality to win trophies and this is our objective. We know how difficult it is but we have stars like Harry Kane and Sonny. A manager who is one of the best, a structure, an amazing training ground, an unbelievable stadium and great fans. We have everything we need to achieve. Now it depends on us.’

The theme of Conte’s summer recruitment drive has been to target players with aggression and desire as well as proven quality and a winning mentality. No more, ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’.

‘Richarlison came to help us in this way with his mentality,’ added Moura, who is helping his fellow Brazilian to settle in. ‘His character is good. He’s a simple guy, humble and always ready to play with a lot of energy.

‘He gives everything on the pitch. Wants to score goals and win the game. There are players like this, when they are on the pitch, they change their mood. Players like this are fighters.’

Moura picks out Cristian Romero and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg as others of similar spirit. It was notable that Romero and Richarlison were the first on the scene when Gonzalo Montiel reacted angrily to being caught in the mouth by Son’s left elbow during Tottenham’s 1-1 draw with Sevilla in Suwon on Saturday.

‘In a squad you must have different characters,’ Moura said. ‘Players who are calm, players who are angry, players who are fighters, warriors, like Pierre and Romero. This is good for a squad.’

Moura is moving into the final year of his contract. Tottenham have an option to extend it for another year but he accepts they may not and will go into the season as if it is his last at the club.

‘I will turn 30 in August,’ said the Brazil international who arrived from Paris Saint-Germain in January 2018 and whose place in Tottenham folklore is safe after his match-winning hat-trick in the Champions League semi-final at Ajax in the following season.

‘I have at least one year in my contract, maybe two. I don’t know if the club will want me to sign another contract but I’m happy here.’

Moura is happy to widen his utility role to include shifts as a wing-back if it delivers the regular football that he knows he needs to fulfil an ambition and return to the Brazil squad for the World Cup.

‘He was very clear in every conversation,’ said Moura of Conte’s expectations. ‘He said I am important for him. It’s good to know. I always talk to him about what he wants from me, what he expects from me.
I just want to have the best season this season. I want to win a trophy because this has been my objective here since the first day I arrived in the club.

‘I lifted a trophy with Sao Paulo, with Paris Saint-Germain and with the national team, and I want a trophy here with Tottenham. And I believe this season I can achieve this. Then we’ll see next season what is the desire of the club.’

MATT BARLOW: Tottenham are primed to challenge for trophies

Interesting comments from Lucas Moura on his own ambitions, potential move to WB, and the squad make-up.

Also confirmation that he has one year left on his contract, with the club holding an option to extend by a further year.

----------------------------------------------

‘This season we can see another Tottenham,’ said Lucas Moura, who will commit to the cause by trusting Conte to convert him from a forward into a wing-back. ‘We have a quality squad and a great manager. We have the quality to win trophies and this is our objective. We know how difficult it is but we have stars like Harry Kane and Sonny. A manager who is one of the best, a structure, an amazing training ground, an unbelievable stadium and great fans. We have everything we need to achieve. Now it depends on us.’

The theme of Conte’s summer recruitment drive has been to target players with aggression and desire as well as proven quality and a winning mentality. No more, ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’.

‘Richarlison came to help us in this way with his mentality,’ added Moura, who is helping his fellow Brazilian to settle in. ‘His character is good. He’s a simple guy, humble and always ready to play with a lot of energy.

‘He gives everything on the pitch. Wants to score goals and win the game. There are players like this, when they are on the pitch, they change their mood. Players like this are fighters.’

Moura picks out Cristian Romero and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg as others of similar spirit. It was notable that Romero and Richarlison were the first on the scene when Gonzalo Montiel reacted angrily to being caught in the mouth by Son’s left elbow during Tottenham’s 1-1 draw with Sevilla in Suwon on Saturday.

‘In a squad you must have different characters,’ Moura said. ‘Players who are calm, players who are angry, players who are fighters, warriors, like Pierre and Romero. This is good for a squad.’

Moura is moving into the final year of his contract. Tottenham have an option to extend it for another year but he accepts they may not and will go into the season as if it is his last at the club.

‘I will turn 30 in August,’ said the Brazil international who arrived from Paris Saint-Germain in January 2018 and whose place in Tottenham folklore is safe after his match-winning hat-trick in the Champions League semi-final at Ajax in the following season.

‘I have at least one year in my contract, maybe two. I don’t know if the club will want me to sign another contract but I’m happy here.’

Moura is happy to widen his utility role to include shifts as a wing-back if it delivers the regular football that he knows he needs to fulfil an ambition and return to the Brazil squad for the World Cup.

‘He was very clear in every conversation,’ said Moura of Conte’s expectations. ‘He said I am important for him. It’s good to know. I always talk to him about what he wants from me, what he expects from me.
I just want to have the best season this season. I want to win a trophy because this has been my objective here since the first day I arrived in the club.

‘I lifted a trophy with Sao Paulo, with Paris Saint-Germain and with the national team, and I want a trophy here with Tottenham. And I believe this season I can achieve this. Then we’ll see next season what is the desire of the club.’

MATT BARLOW: Tottenham are primed to challenge for trophies
He's not the best...Still love him. However shit he's never hidden and never stopped trying or caring. It's what made me really go off Winks the hiding. Oh and when we were getting carried by Son after kane went awol, Lucas (no matter how aimlessly) worked even more.

I'm amazed it took us this long to get to Lucas at WB. I guess because we didn't have the depth up front and maybe Conte wanted a preseason to teach him the role more. The list of offensive guys who have been successful WBs is very long. Cuadrado, Perisic were very offensive players. Lucas always puts in a shift and is not afraid to get stuck in. He has his inconsistencies but I've always been of the mind that he's a very useful player for any team to have. Loves Tottenham. Has scored big goals in his career. His ability to progress the ball, chip in with goals, etc will be very valuable in this role.

I love Lucas. He just gets on with whatever he's asked to do. He's like Davies, a proper pro. The guy scores a hat trick in the CL semi final and doesn't start the final...and still no grumbling. Stevie B would have had a snapshot of a smashed up Bentley on twitter by Monday.

He's not the greatest footballer but he has given us his best and you can bet he'll always try to do so for as long as he's with us.

SELL

joke

Not much changes, it's just an extension until 2024 so it ensures that we get money for him when he leaves - I read that he wants to spend 1 more year in London then go back to Brazil next year anyway.

TBH, if this WB experiment clicks with him & Conte it wouldn't suprise me if he ran the deal down and left for free after the extra year anyway......

He's not likely to command much of a fee from Brazil.

Flies under the radar, but just how massive was his equaliser against Barca...... 👍
Yeah, big big goal.

It's strange how little Moura scores given that he actually does have composure in front of goal and is pretty decent even from a bit of distance. He's no Gabrial Jesus.

Wish he learned to just release the ball more often then make runs into the box.

Back
Top Bottom